Purchase advice sought...again ^^

NGT6 1315

Are those like the Eurostar couplings - perhaps the most stupid coupling design ever produced.

The couplers between the power units and end trailers on my H0 scale Jouef TGV Est-Européen might also qualify for this honour. They look a bit like the Roco close couplers, but have quite a bit of slack and give a somewhat fragile appearance on top of it.

As for the models from my initial list, I sort of narrowed it down to either the E351, 683, 0 or E3 Shinkansen - and if I should order either the 683 or 0 series I might add a DD51 for good measure :grin .

To uncouple a Kato TGV, Eurostar set safely.  You have to have set them on a straight track and then pull them apart by one hand on the body and the other one by the wheel sets.  To replace the coupling system, you need to contact Popondetta or your hobby shop.  The undercarriage replacement goes around 10-11 Euros each.

I broke my Eurostar couplers - getting replacements was a nightmare.

I was interested in how good the new Kato ' O ' series Shinkansen was. I have the first release and I'm not really that happy with it. ???

I was interested in how good the new Kato ' O ' series Shinkansen was. I have the first release and I'm not really that happy with it. ???

Chris - What is it about the train that you've disappointed with?

I'd be interested in that as well. By the way, when did Kato first release this model?

I'd be interested in that as well. By the way, when did Kato first release this model?

first release around 1984 in 6 cars set (green box whit Nscale mark) or in 1986 in 4 cars set (also available in single cars), after re-released in new box item number 10-136 in 6 cars set but the same train, improved last release 10-453+10454 (sincely only the pantograph has been changed and sheet decals added, I don't see more difference like DCC ready or coupling system etc....)

it's strange, the first Shinkansen released by Kato (and Tomix too) was 200 series in 1982 (my first Shinkansen was the Lima 0 series in HO  :grin  )

ciao

Massimo

Claude_Dreyfus

I managed to get some replacement couplings from M G Sharp for the Eurostar.

I got my 0 series last year and am very happy with it. I would suggest that the model is now a little old, in my example Rapido couplings are still used - although I do have a set of replacements, just not got round to fitting them yet.

Claude_Dreyfus

Then, just for the sake of the tilting mechanism I will vote for the E351. :)

I was a little unsure of how effective this would be at first. Many of these features are nothing more than gimmicks which aren't very effective or pretty pointless - the first flywheel-fitted model produced in the UK - the class 90 - had barely any effect; it just skidded a little further when you shut the controller off!

The tilting mechanism on the E351, which is a pendulum-type mechanism, is very effective. Even when posed stationary on the reverse curves on our layout - see pictures in the gallery section - the carriages had a noticable lean against the curves. So far I have not managed to get a decent picture showing this, but the visual effect is striking, and alone worth getting this unit for.