bill937ca

Joetsu Shinkansen Upgrade / E4 Series retirement

bill937ca

Work began in May on the Joetsu Shinkansen increasing operating speeds from 240km/h to 275km/h.    With this upgrade E7 Shinkansen operate all Joetsu Shinkansen services will replace the double-deck E4 Shinkansen by the end of 2022

https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/high-speed/jr-east-275km-h-joetsu-shinkansen/

https://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/AS20190530000801.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sacto1985

If they start assigning the E7 train set between Tokyo and Niigata, it's likely the top speed between Omiya and Takasaki Stations will be limited to 260 km/h.

katoftw

E7s already travel Omiya to Takasaki section. And are limited to E4 top speed. So this will increase the top speed for said section.

Densha

Also note that the E2 series currently runs on the Joetsu Shinkansen as well. JR East's plan is to have the complete Joetsu Shinkansen fleet unified to E7 series by 2022, so that means the end for both the E4 and E2 series on this line.

Densha

I don't think this has been posted on JNS already, has it? The E7 Series formations for the Joetsu Shinkansen will receive an alternative livery, albeit being nothing more than just an added pink stripe and alternative logo.

• Like 2

JR 500系

The logo looks interesting though... it's a splash of some sort?  The pink line grows on me... interesting ~

trainsforever8

Does anybody know if the inside's design is different?

Densha
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

The logo looks interesting though... it's a splash of some sort?  The pink line grows on me... interesting ~

The logo looks like it is based off the feathers of the crested ibis, which is what the Toki is named after. But I am not entirely sure though...