Has anyone tried these 'paper kits' from Japan?

Disturbman's post on 'how to bid on Japanese Auctions' got me interested so I looked around and found a lot of cool 'modern' buildings!  A lot of them appear to be from the same creators, and they also seem to be made of paper (I think...I know no Japanese and can't trust the translation tools a lot since they are usually hilariously indecipherable).  Does anyone have any experience with these? They really look good in the photos (but you can say that about a lot of stuff!  :grin)

kurobou1101-img600x474-1255110364vwrost57851.jpg

storebill3-03.jpg

Kensignton-up02.jpg

Hobby Dreamer

While I cannot say anything about these kits, the British card stock kits are excellent! They are a thick card and also have a hint of detail pressed into the card. They don't shine like plastic. And some look mildly weathered.

And you can find many free card models that you can print yourself on card stock. I just bought some card stock yesterday and plan to get a printer on Sunday.

When displayed they look as good and often even better than plastic from a short distance away (probably the lack of shine). They are a lot of less prep work than plastic but you want to ensure a good bond. But that is true with plastic as well. And the glues are a lot less toxic!

I have a few HO kits and am very pleased with the quality.

I'd bet that you could find free Japanese card structures with the help of other members here.

They are also easier to manage if you want to make a bas-relief etc

Cheers

Rick

* BTW, I quite enjoy your site!!

Looks nice but a bit more paper than the photo I've seen from Sankei's kits. What's the name of he manufacturer?

Anyway sometime ago Jeff ordered some Sankei and he put a review of it here. I have some on order as well. I will keep you inform when I receive them... that should be in a month or so.

Hi Rick!  Thanks for the information, that's encouraging!  I am trying really hard to get the idea of 'paper airplanes' out of my head with these models, but you're right, with the right card stock, these could be very neat.  I do wonder about lighting them up however.  Something to think about.  And thanks for the compliment on the website! I just try to have fun and share some of my stupid experiments with modeling!  :grin

Disturbman, these appear to be from a seller called kurobou1101

Here's another example of his items:

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w43323518

They look so good. When you translate the description it says "Since the amateur production, some errors, such as dirt may have.  Unfortunately, If only you for your understanding, no complaints, no returns, thank you for bidding."

Love those colors, but it is photographed with a bright blue background.  <Sigh.>  Would it look as good on the layout?

They look so good. When you translate the description it says "Since the amateur production, some errors, such as dirt may have.  Unfortunately, If only you for your understanding, no complaints, no returns, thank you for bidding."

Love those colors, but it is photographed with a bright blue background.  <Sigh.>  Would it look as good on the layout?

I think your observation triggers one to ponder a few questions.

A photo is normally taken in a manner that presents it best image or viewing. The blue back ground is telling us something.

If it could be placed in a layout with other plastic buildings and blend in I would consider it a buy but based on this image I would question it.

It may be better suited for the kitchen floor or a temp layout or background filler.

Inobu

I think your observation triggers one to ponder a few questions.

A photo is normally taken in a manner that presents it best image or viewing. The blue back ground is telling us something.

If it could be placed in a layout with other plastic buildings and blend in I would consider it a buy but based on this image I would question it.

It may be better suited for the kitchen floor or a temp layout or background filler.

Inobu

Jeff seems pretty taken by the quality of the ones he has done, so I may actually be willing to give it a try. Don't let him know I said this cause we tend to argue like drunken dock hands at a Bon Jovi concert, but I give him a hell of a lot of credit when he talks about his use of products (minus Mac computers) for use with N-scale.

Ive recently got a few of the sankai paper models. these are not printed cardstock models you cut out, but laser cut full colored fiber chipboard (ie very stiff chipboard with the color dyed all through the board). this gives you super clean edges and no white edges to deal with that you get on printed card stock models. what it does not get you is a lot of fancy printed textures or signs or wide range of colors. they can make quite nice clean buildings. the sankai also build up layers on the walls so you get some relief details in the windows and such. also being laser cut the edges and cleaness of cuts are fantastic, you can have window mullions less than 0.5mm thick cut this way.

ive just about completed the little police sub station and it came out pretty nice. i attempted this first to get the knack of these kits. the instructions are minimal and tiny and some of the difference in parts is really minor so you need to test fit and keep track of the parts and how it should all go together. i just received a couple of larger structures to try. they also make some nice fencing, but its pricy at like $3 for 2 sections 2" long. much lighter weight than plastic details like that.

cheers

jeff