New Type : JR East E6 Shinkansen

alpineaustralia

I am really confused now but let me have another go at seeing if I get this right...

The E5 is the E954. Car E954-8 has one form of the "arrowline" head (with pronounced flares around the bogies and the cockpit transitions into the body), whilst car no. E954-1 has the "streamline" head. ( I thought the arrowline was supposed to be at the front of the train for sound reasons but lets park that for the moment).

The E6 is the E955. Both car E955-1 and car no. E955-6 has another form of the "arrowline" head (with less pronounced flares around the bogies and more of a bubble cockpit).

Is that right?

Largely, yes! SOrry I've been so confusing!!

The E5 is based on the E954. Car E954-8 has one form of the "arrowline" head (with pronounced flares around the bogies and the cockpit transitions into the body), whilst car no. E954-1 has the "streamline" head. JR was testing two possible nose designs at once---one design in one direction, and one in the other. Both noses appear to have couplers, and so either configuration could be tested coupled or uncoupled, head or tail. (recall that leaving Ueno, the mini-shinkansen leads; arriving Ueno, the mini-shinkansen trails.)

The E6 will be based on the E955. Both car E955-1 and car no. E955-6 has another form of the "arrowline" head (with less pronounced flares around the bogies and more of a bubble cockpit).

alpineaustralia

If, as I also understood it, they were testing two possible nose designs at once, then why ddint they settle one of the noses? why did they continue with different noses depending on the direction of travel?

If, as I also understood it, they were testing two possible nose designs at once, then why ddint they settle one of the noses? why did they continue with different noses depending on the direction of travel?

I don't understand…are you asking if they didn't turn the train to test each nose in each direction? (I don't know. Maybe they did turn the train? Maybe they didn't? Can't tell from the photos.) Or are you asking why didn't the E5 get just one nose design common to both ends? (Because the E5 did get just one nose design common to both ends.)

You speak the same languages but don't understand each others. That's could be funny if it was not so painfull to follow.

Let's say it again:

- The wide gauge prototype tested two different shapes of nose but, at the end, JR east settled for the "arrowline" one on both end for the E5.

- The smaller gauge prototype tested another type of "arrowline" nose. So it's pretty clear what the E6 will look like.

alpineaustralia

I am asking why didn't the E5 get just one nose design common to both ends like every other shinkansen?

ie. why are there 3 noses for two trains?

The different noses where to test the best shape. One major problem with high speed trains is the tunnel boom. The tunnel boom can limit the speed a train can run trough the tunnel and making the tunnel wider is not an option So to achieve higher speeds on routes with tunnel a nose is required which reduces the tunnel boom. Unfortunately a optimized nose for tunnels is not the aesthetically most pleasing.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_boom

I still like the nose on the right (the Fastech), the E5 IMHO reminds me of an old Bentley, minus the hood ornimate. That's what the E5 needs, a hood ornimate, like a flying angle, and some coach lights as well. Nothing says class like coach lights.  :laugh:

alpineaustralia
The E5 is based on the E954. Car E954-8 has one form of the "arrowline" head (with pronounced flares around the bogies and the cockpit transitions into the body), whilst car no. E954-1 has the "streamline" head.

The E5 did get just one nose design common to both ends.

Now I am totally confused.

The E5 is based on the E954. Car E954-8 has one form of the "arrowline" head (with pronounced flares around the bogies and the cockpit transitions into the body), whilst car no. E954-1 has the "streamline" head.

The E5 did get just one nose design common to both ends.

Now I am totally confused.

The E5 is not the E954! The E954 (also called Fastech 360S) was a one-off experimental train; the E5 is a new and distinct production train that will be soon running in revenue service. The E5 is based on the results of the research on the E954, but is absolutely not the same train. Hence my last comment, including a photo of the first E5 and the E954 side-by-side.

Wow, this must be the most confusing thread ever  :grin

I also thought originally they will have two different shapes for each end (as with the experimental version) because I thought the optimal shape would depend on the direction of travel. (Wedge going one way, arrow going the other way). Turns out this is not the case.

So the bottom line is for the E5 they have decided on the 'arrow' shape for both ends, and they would also (most likely) have the 'smaller arrow shape' for both ends for the E6, although technically we haven't seen any pictures of the E6.

alpineaustralia

The penny is starting to drop for me now fellas. Thanks Capt for being so patient.

So sadly, it seems that the wedge shape is not going to be seen in revenue service (and hence there wont be  a model of it)

:sad:

Well at least I have the styling of N'Ex to look forward to.

Now that we know the styling of the single deck Shinkansen will be an green ugly duckling, we can still hope the next double decker Shinkansen might turn out to be a swan...

Now that we know the styling of the single deck Shinkansen will be an green ugly duckling, we can still hope the next double decker Shinkansen might turn out to be a swan...

I use a picture of the E5 as background image on my pc at the office. The ladies like this colour very much. But that isn't much solace....

Hum... I like this new interpretation of the Komachi colors. Far more to my taste than the one used one the E5.

The E6 looks quite similar to the E5, the nose seems to have the same general shape but is shorter... but, as a matter of fact, the whole train has smaller dimensions (which is normal for a train that will also be operating outside the limit of the Shinkansen lines).

the colors are an instant hit. to see the morphing colors of the E5 speed thru will make me excited ....  qoupled together with spicey red E6 it's going to be a double whammy. these trans  are both soo beautful, modern and somwhat fluid, their shapes organismic (organic) with wellbeeing of the nearby public in mind. the trans will have a permanent track in my yard, for formation!