Some timely advice sought ... re EF66

grumbeast

Hi Guys

have been checking out this set on ebay, and I don't know much about manufacturers and history.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NICE-KATO-JAPANESE-ENGINE-WITH-9X-PASSENGER-CAR-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4a99db4f3fQQitemZ320408866623QQptZModelQ5fRRQ5fTrainsQQsalenotsupported

Now, knowing that people here seem to sniff out a bargain and no one has bid on this is making me suspicious so any info would be good as I love the EF66 and one with a train would be a gret find for me

Thanks in advance for any help.. oh an sorry if this is wrong area for this question

Grum

Hi ,

The Kato EF66 looks to be an older model as do the Tomix coaches. I have never heard of Shinana Micro. The other items from this manufacturer appear to be dated as regards detail.

Ask the seller for the catalogue numbers for the Kato loco and if possible the Tomix coaches then this will help to date them.

Kato and Tomix have both issued new versions of the EF66 and the 24 series sleepers.

alpineaustralia

Given you have an incomplete set on Tomix carriages - you are effectively paying $75 for used kato EF66 with two incomplete and mismatched sets of carriages => not many bidders

IDK, to me, I have a Kato EF66, and love it. This is one of my best running engines, just barely being beat out by my Kato EF58. Personally, matching passenger cars is not really a big deal for me as I can always mix and match train sets or use the cars with another engine. I have brown coaches running behind my EF 508 and EF66, to me it's just not a big deal for my home layout. I think it's a pretty good deal myself assuming everything is operable. I think 76 bucks for 9 passengers cars is a decent deal, it's like getting an engine for fee. If not for the fact that I'm ligit on cash and I have a 66 already, I'd bid on it.

Hi!

I would confirm that the correct manifacturer is SHINANO MICRO, it's a very old producer active until '70-'80 like GAKKEN and ENDO (Endo continue only whit HO brass handmade models)

the price is not so good (one old EF66 -Kato 3004 catalog item- is around 1500-2000JPY whit original box) and the new improved model is better (5000-6000JPY), every car is around 1000-1200JPY (new in box)

for example.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-Electric-Locomotive-Type-EF66-Early---Kato-3047-3_W0QQitemZ360176193620QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090802?IMSfp=TL090802139006r3381

ciao

Massimo

Thanks for all the advice. 

I've decided not to bid as I'm going to save my hard earned pocket money for another Shinkansen and to extend my viaduct station :)

Graham

Mudkip Orange

Thanks for all the advice. 

I've decided not to bid as I'm going to save my hard earned pocket money for another Shinkansen and to extend my viaduct station :)

Graham

Good choice.