What are the difference btw the new and old Tomix Turnouts?

SONIC883_de

SONIC883_de

Hi,

My layout hasn't finished and I need some more turnouts. The old ones are out of production and I can get only the new ones.

What is the difference between the new and the old ones?

- Kai

SONIC883_de

I don't understand what sprung point means  ???

The most important for me is that the power is only on the selected track and I must not add a seperate powerfeeder

I don't understand what sprung point means  ???

On a streetcar line at a 90 degree curve at an intersection the first switch that takes you into the curve is powered and activated on demand.  The exit point is sprung and pushed into place by the wheels of the car.  After the car passes a spring pushes the point back into its normal setting. 

Same concept is used on sidings on the Enoden. The train coming towards you pushes through the point and the point is reset with a thud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GbkW3EyLE&feature=PlayList&p=A0EA53314CCEC9D7

You don't have to use the switch as a spring switch, but it can be done.

From a real-life standpoint, I hate those spring switches. We have only one at Walkersville, and it causes issues as our 16 ton Plymouth and 22 ton Davenport. They would derail the engines are they were too light, and manually throwing them was near impossible. After the second crew member threw his back on one operations wanted to pull it out and replace it with a normal switch. The track department of course objected. In the end the switch stayed as it was apparently a rare switch on the Pennsy and even rare on the secondary line that we run on. We had to operate the switch manually. Of course once we got the 101 from the Hagerstown  it was no longer a problem. (101 is an EMC 40 ton center cab) Now that we acquired #3, another 22t Davenport, who knows.

SONIC883_de

But: Removes that feature the "Stop"-function? Or can be choose between it?

For my yard the stop function is necessary.

*panic*

CaptOblivious

What do you mean "stop function"? The turnouts route power just like the old ones (well, slightly different, but the old ones don't route power properly under certain circumstances; the new ones do it in all circumstances), so you should be just fine.

Mudkip Orange

Yeah, the new turnouts route power COMPLETELY whereas the old turnouts only routed the inside rail, which required you to use insulated rail joiners.

Yeah, the new turnouts route power COMPLETELY whereas the old turnouts only routed the inside rail, which required you to use insulated rail joiners.

I am still confuse....but are you talking more like Kato's turnout?