Just as hard to choose - which Shinkansen might I prefer?

NGT6 1315

Evening :cheesy ...

Hot on the heels of the Shinkansen vs. Narita Express thread I should like to gather some input for my future purchases as well. I am still lacking any Shinkansen models in my fleet, but would, of course, like to have at least one. So, to cut things short, I am a bit torn between the following:

* 0 series - well, this one's just classic and, in my opinion, something of a "must have" even if you don't actually model JR West.

* E3 series - this one looks quite sharp and nimble, perhaps due to its smaller loading gauge.

* E4 series - this one might be interesting to combine with an E3, but I would have to get the Kato release of it as the Tomix one does not have any nose-mounted couplers for mixed lashups - or does it? ???

* 922 series Dr. Yellow - basically, my impression of this one is the same as that of the 0 series.

Which one of these would you prefer for your first Shinkansen purchase if you were in my position?

Speaking of Shinkansens, I'd also be interested in a 100 or 200 series set, but these appear to be OOP at this time. There haven't been any announcements for these types to be re-released in the foreseeable future, have there?

Thanks, chaps :cool: !

Darren Jeffries

For me... E4. I just love this train. I would make do with the smaller sets in the absence of a nose coupling system just to have one on the roster

I have to say youve picked out some good looking models to choose from. My first Shinkasen was the JR500 and I dont think Id change it if I were able too do so. I try to base what my next purchase in Shinkasen's by the least amount of cars I can run that will still look good running, I know its all subjective but oh well.

I know I cant run a 16 car Shinkasen to save my life my layout just wont handle it. At a minimum I run 8 cars, so that gets me within the ballpark of lots of sets out there. Personally Id love to pick up an E3 set, my layout and platforms can deal with a basic set. To tell you the truth I really really really want a Series 251 Super View Odoriko 6 cars set, Ive never seen one running on a layout before.

I know I may have confused you more than Ive helped but I tried lol.

I'm going to be different and completely miss your original question - I'd go with the 300 series. My first experience with the Shinkansen sensation!! What a beast. I was so impressed I bought 2  sets! Its tough looking and runs like a dream.

Now to add my answer to your question.

My choice would be the E4. It reminds me of the batmobile from Batmam ( 1988 ). It has the nose and front windows which look awesome. The Kato ( which I have ) comes in a 4 car starter set then an 4 car add on. As an 8 car set it runs well and looks great. The power car can handle it well and it has the nose coupler that you can link up to make an 16 car set if necessary.

The ' O ' series is my 2nd choice. The original beast and looks great either in an 8? or 16 car set and there are heaps available at the moment.

The 100 and 200 are scarce to find at the moment ( I think there is a 200 on ebay at the moment )

5oo's and 700's are around so they are easy to find.

I'm glad you didn't put down the 300 because we all know how long it took Chris to finally find one. One factor I'd ask is do you plan to go DCC with your layout? For me personally, I've had some issues with Tomix and DCC conversions. If you're not going DCC, I know some members here have been impressed with the Tomix 700 series because it comes with 2 motor cars and pick ups in every car.

I know Martijn had the MicroAce Dr. Yellow and from the photos he's taken, it's a nice looking train.

I'm glad you didn't put down the 300 because we all know how long it took Chris to finally find one.

There is allways some on the auction circuit... but that ain't going to be cheap. Around 19/20.000 Yens. And the 100 is going to be far worse.

For me from the bunch that you have, I would choose E3, it is a very nice looking little Shinkansen without carry 16 cars.  It can also couple with E4 which will be you next Kato purchase.  :laugh:

alpineaustralia

Go the E4 then the E2, then the E4.

But before you get too excited about the nose couplers, they are extremely finnicky and prone to coming off if you apply to much pressure in activating them.

But for the reasons that Bernard has given, if you are going DCC, definitely go for the Kato version of the E2, E3 or the E4. Each is DCC friendly and will allow you to also place a dceoder in it for front/reverse external lighting and separate decoders for internal lighting.

You will also be able to couple the E3 and the E4 together.

In my experience Kato seems to work better with DCC in any case.

I am a fan of the JR700 (all 3 variants) but I like how sharp the JR500 looks as well :grin. Anyways it don't matter which one you buy because they are all good models (though I dislike the one that looks like a whale and has retractable "bats" ears!).

though I dislike the one that looks like a whale and has retractable "bats" ears!.

That's the Fastech prototype, the production E5's are not getting those as the ears were problematic.

I'd either go with the 0 series, for the same reasons, or the E3, which is interesting, nice-looking, and not so bulky as some of the other newer series. Of course, the E3s also fit my interest in Tohoku.