A question of scale

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Now, as many of us know, because most Japanese trains are narrow gauge, most Japanese N-gauge trains are made to 1:150 scale; the standard-gauge shinkansen, however, are modeled at the US-standard 1:160 scale.

A recent thread about kitbashing some even narrow gauge Japanese rolling stock got me to wondering, though: What about other standard-gauge trains? The Keisei main line is standard gauge, for example. I would presume that my MicroAce Keisei Skyliner model is at 1:150, but I'm not sure how to tell (aside from breaking out the ruler, and looking up obscure technical information on the prototype; anyone know how long a Skyliner carriage is? It appears to be considerably less than the usual 20m).

So, question: What do manufacturers do for standard gauge non-shinkansen? Do they use 1:150 or 1:160 scale?

I'm pretty sure they used the standard US/European (International?) 1:160 scale to figure the original 4' 8.5" or 1435 mm IRL gauge. It will not be logical not to do it.

Martijn Meerts

From what I've understood, the reason they went with 1:150 with the narrow gauge and 1:160 with the shinkansen, is to make sure they fit on standard 9mm N-gauge track. With that in mind, I would expect any non-shinkansen standard gauge to be 1:160 as well.

What I would have expected is that both type of rolling stock was made to the same standard. Only the boggies will not have been entirely prototypical and to scale. It would have made more sens too me. It was even possible to manufacture two types of rails. I don't see the proble with it.  :grin

Hankyu is standard gauge.  The 6300 series offered by Kato is 19000 mm long.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10003374a2/20/2

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10003374b/30/1

1/150 of 19000 is 126.66mm

1/160 of 19000 is 118.75mm

The roof of the car measured with a ruler is 120mm. (That's all I have to measure with.)

I'm not sure of the definition of the length measurement I have.  If it is over couplers it looks these cars are 1/150.

Remember the difference between 1/150 and 1/160 is only 6.66 %

My notes on various Japanese electric cars show Hankyu Kyoto line cars are 2850mm wide and Hankyu cars used on other lines are 2750mm wide.  The 6300 cars run on the Kyoto line.

By comparsion JR231 cars are 2950mm wide (as are E207 and E321), 200mm wider than Hankyu's non-Kyoto line equipment.  That's 6.77966% wider than Hankyu's narrow equipment.

I could be wrong, but I think everything other than Shinkansen is modelled at 1:150. Bogie widths may be unrealistic, but even at 1:150 9 mm gauge is closer to prototype standard gauge than narrow-gauge, so it's all somewhat disproportionate anyway. Z-gauge track (6.5 mm) and bogies are actually closer to Japanese narrow-gauge at 1:150. 7.1 mm gauge, if it existed, would be the ideal match.

Japanese N-gauge should be 1:120, but then I guess you wouldn't be able to share American or European structures and vehicles.

Don - you pose a good question because I swear my Kato O series the earlier versions, seems not to scale. It's slightly larger than my other Shinkansens. I also noticed that some to the Chinese sellers sell N scale cars and people in 1:150 and 1:160 scale, they give you the choice.

alpineaustralia

Funny because I think both Kato and Tomix Shinkansen look hug compared to the buildings that they each sell.

Mudkip Orange
I think everything other than Shinkansen is modelled at 1:150.

DING!

The thing to realize is that 9mm in 1:150 is actually somewhere between 1067 and 1485, with the intention of representing both. (it's almost exactly 1372 - great if you're modeling Keio). As far as the decision to build Shinkansens in 1:160, it isn't so much a question of track gauge as carbody size. Standard-gauge Japanese commuter trains still adhere to the maximum dimensions of 2800x20000 (straight-body) or 2950x20000 (flared). Shinkansen on the other hand can approach 3400x25000.