End of the cassiopeia

If JR East is saying one of the reasons Cassiopeia is going is because the 17 year old rollingstock is life expired then JR West could easily use the same excuse to get rid of the older series 285's.  Let's hope not though.

A moderate refurb could happen, and would probably keep the service running for several more years, assuming JRC and JRW even have interest in that.  A big refurb or new cars?  It would be great, but I doubt it.  Here's to hoping.  I think I'd feel better about this if JRC weren't involved :) :(

The Sunrise Seto/Sunrise Izumo still exists because the demand is still there for these overnight trains, given there is no Shinkansen service to the Matsue/Izumo area and to Takamatsu. As such, the 285's will likely get a major refurbishment soon to extend their lives at least another decade.

However, the Cassiopeia trainset will still soldier on charter service, and could make appearances around northern Japan.

RailKing JP has just published a video of the final Cassiopeia arriving Ueno station, and then departing away on its final run to the yard most probably...

Noted that there were police officers on patrol!  :)

• Like 2
bnicolas1987

Hi,

Here is my first last run for my Cassiopeia in HO gauge.

Sorry for the poor quality of the video...

Cheers.

• Like 1

However, the Cassiopeia trainset will still soldier on charter service, and could make appearances around northern Japan.

It was on the NHK news the other day that this will in fact happen.

There was an item in Railfan News yesterday about this, http://railf.jp/news/2016/05/15/193500.html .  Apparently this test run was from Ueno to Sapporo via the Takasaki and Joetsu lines, so I guess that means from Ueno northwest to Niigata then up to Akita and Aomori.  It's preparation for the Cassiopeia Cruise and Cassiopeia Kikou services that will start next month.

• Like 2

Thanks! I didn't know about that, as I don't keep up to date on these developments (JR zairaisen isn't really my thing). It came across on my Facebook and I thought I'd share it with you guys. I think this is also the first time the Cassiopeia is hauled by an EH class locomotive IIRC.