Arakawa Line new tram

From the linked article:

Six more are due to be delivered by early 2017, and are intended to replace the Series 7000 trams on the line, the oldest of which were built in 1954.

Wow, that must make them the oldest rail vehicles in revenue service in Tokyo. I must go along for a ride soon.

The trams were fitted with new Alna design carbodies starting in 1977.

Aha, thought they looked a bit "modern" for 1954.

Presumably this (Wikipedia) is the original design.

I like the new design. It's a design that goes well with any variation of colour and looks very timeless. It's not an innovating design, but that's okay. It actually looks like a prototypical design that has been left on a drawing board in the mid-eighties and was rediscovered just recently. Me likey.

• Like 1

Japanese railway stock are almost always very similar to their predecessors anyway. Just take a look at all predecessors of the JR East E235 series. Since the 1947 JNR 63 series the only change on Yamanote Line trains was the change to double slide doors instead of single doors. Yes, obviously the E235 is a much more modern train than the 63 series, but you get my point. I guess it's a compatibility thing; keeping things the same comes with less unnecessary time-consuming and expensive measures to make them compatible.

Japanese railway stock are almost always very similar to their predecessors anyway. Just take a look at all predecessors of the JR East E235 series. Since the 1947 JNR 63 series the only change on Yamanote Line trains was the change to double slide doors instead of single doors. Yes, obviously the E235 is a much more modern train than the 63 series, but you get my point.

Not really. So the E235 is basically the same as the JNR 63 (apart from the double doors, design, material, construction methods etc. etc.)?

It's called evolution or more correctly progress. Each new generation is better in something. Use of metal walls, bigger windows, double doors, better motors, ac, atc, lighter frame, better pa, modern controls, modern lighting, better traction system, lcds and leds. And the trains are getting longer with each platform rebuild...

Ps: The modern tesla is very similar to the old edison electric car, front wheel steering, back wheel drive with single, geared traction motor, standalone underframe with batteries in the middle and 4 suspensions. But it's not a wrought iron frame with a wooden chassis, lead acid batteries, spoked wheels and leaf springs. Same function, different materials and modern engineering.

Ps: It's Hungary that keeps old stuff indefinetly and that's why a university has a working roman amphitheater (the ring is still floodable), there are 100 years old freight trams in service and the flagship of the navy is an ancient river class ericsson monitor (afaik the last operational in the world). At least we kept the freshwater/wastewater pipes and the thermal baths operational for more than a thousand years now. (even during the middle ages)