Tokyo Metro's train's engin sounds

trainsforever8

trainsforever8

Hey guys, 

I was wondering why was the sound of that 16000 series Tokyo Metro train different of that of other sets in the series 

Perhaps could it be because it's more recent of something? Thanks!

It's a recent delivery with upgraded electricals.  One is an Autonomus Synchronizing Parallel Drive/Deactivating SIV System (world first), and another a reactor using a copper coil.  This may be the reason for the different sound.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2015/article_pdf/metroNews20150915_14n172.pdf

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20150915-00000053-rps-bus_all

SuRoNeFu 25-501

The 3rd batch trains of of 16000 series are equipped with latest generation of inverter equipment (including its VVVF control system). Although PMSM system has been already implemented right from the earliest trainset (16101F), but the usage of PMSM with latest VVVF system allows Tokyo Metro to save more amount of energy consumption.

But what thing that I don't know is the presence of "Circle K" sticker right on the emergency doors. On the Den'entoshi Line trains that owned by Tokyu, the "Circle K" sticker is for indicating that a trainset is not equipped with Tobu ATS for running on Isesaki Line. For the ones on 16118F, this is interesting...

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Apparently on the Chiyoda Line, the K sticker indicates prohibition of running in the Odakyu and JR lines.

http://chiyoda-line-net.officialblog.jp/archives/42918715.html

Probably. It seems that both the Odakyu's D-ATS-P and JR's ATC are still not configured (or even not installed at all)...

EDIT: both the 16117F and 16118F has already underwent trial run on Odakyu Line (link is here for 16117F, and here for 16118F)

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501
trainsforever8

Thank you for the information, so that means Tokyo Metro is still receiving these trains, right? I was also wondering if anyone knew wether or not the Marunochi line's trains will get replaced by new models soon?

I was also wondering if anyone knew wether or not the Marunochi line's trains will get replaced by new models soon?

Not that I've heard of - they've been refurbishing the 02 series to quite high standards (including LCD info screens and IIRC LED lighting), my guess is they want another few years of working life out of these before replacing. A quick glance at the Japanese Wikipedia pages for the Marunouchi line and the 02 don't give any indication of replacements being planned - but happy to be corrected.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

The 02 series trains has been already refurbished with new VVVF traction system and PMSM-based motors. Although these refurbishments were firstly received by first groups of 02 series trains that formerly uses chopper traction system, but it is likely that later batches (which uses VVVF traction system right from their introduction) would also receives the newer VVVF traction system and PMSM-based motors when they underwent B-refurbishment (B修工事) at car renewal workshops.

Addition - Tokyo Metro's lifespan rule is pretty long enough for a commuter train:

1. 12 years after introduction -> C-refurbishment (C修工事) - only the aesthetic aspects like interior that received refurbishment. Traction system is left intact

2. 24 years after introduction -> B-refurbishment (B修工事) - this one would refurbish both the aesthetic and the technical aspects, with the traction system being refurbished (or even changed from old ones to new ones)

3. 36 years after introduction -> C-refurbishment (C修工事) - the aesthetic aspects of the train would receive refurbishment again

4. 48 years after introduction -> retired for scrap (廃車)

It's a recent delivery with upgraded electricals. One is an Autonomus Synchronizing Parallel Drive/Deactivating SIV System (world first), and another a reactor using a copper coil. 

Load sharing and partially deactivated auxiliary power coverters are not a really new thing, although activation/deactivation is either cycle based (around 50Hz) or manual with most european emus. The cycle based load sharing means the control systems remain online and converters might switch at the same time, so a centrally coordinated shutdown is more economical and i only seen this in fixed sets so far and not between two connected sets. Should not change the tone of the sound however as it's similar to deactivating one of the compressors.

The reactor in this context is actually an inductor used in the traction controller and according to the linked document the copper one should be more silent. So i guess if the sound is really audibly different but only while the train is moving, then it might be a new control algoritm for the traction inverters.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Hmm I see, so does that mean that the new metro trains for the Hibiya line might use the same system as the 16000 series? 

Exactly, the new 13000 series trains would employ the technologies that used on the latest (3rd batch) 16000 series trains...

trainsforever8

Exactly, the new 13000 series trains would employ the technologies that used on the latest (3rd batch) 16000 series trains...

So in that case, I assume that the trains Tobu ordered along with Tokyo Metro ordering the 13000 series would also use the same technology, am I right? 

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Both the Tobu 70000 series and Tokyo Metro 13000 series would use the newest technologies that already incorporated on latest generation EMUs, so I assume that the basic system would be the same with 3rd batch 16000 series trains (though it is likely that there are some very little differences on it)