KiHa 261-1000 repaint announced

Kabutoni

JR Hokkaido today announced the repainting of the KiHa 261-1000 DMUs for the Super Tokachi Ltd. Express services in December.

Almost nobody I know has a problem with the current livery. Blue front, big blue accents and smaller orange and green detail accents. Now, prepared for a total makeover. And IMO not a very good one, as they decided to paint that nice big blue front white. Maybe this is to match the livery of the KiHa 183's Super Tokachi, but frankly, I think it looks very very bad indeed. If they wanted a service branding, they certainly could have come up with something better.

Anyway, prepare your eyes: http://response.jp/article/2015/09/09/259733.html

P.s. all opinions above are personal and in line with my own preferences.

• Like 1

Personally i like it! Traffic yellow panel on the front, JR Central style white around the cab and a decorative purple line on the side to indicate the line. This paint would also be good in the UK or pretty much everywhere in Europe. (not that the original blue front was bad either)

ps: I would add a yellow or rather a bright white warning panel to the front of the E353 too. Black is too low visibility for something so fast and heavy.

Yeah pretty underwhelming and does not stand out. colorists are also gone from the picture these days, the color combo is not comfortable.

btw saw a very well done documentary the other day (Rosenwald) and was pleased to see they had a colorist listed in the credits!

jeff