Fukaura station on the Gono Line.

marknewton

Fukaura station is a very compact little station in an interesting setting, which I think would make a great subject for a layout.

fukaura1.jpg

What makes it even more interesting to me is that it once had a turntable:

st_fukaura1.jpg

I'm assuming it was once a depot and/or crew relief point? In addition to the two engine sheds there's a two-storey apartment building next to the station building that appears to belong to the railway.

Cheers,

• Like 5

That's a great sequence of photos bb, they look like stills from a B&W movie they're so dramatic. They tell a great story and contain so much information, thanks for posting them.

Westfalen, I was thinking much the same as you, the place would make a great subject for a T-TRAK module. Even in it's current rationalised form it's a compact yard with a lot of operating potential, but look at these photos from the late Showa period:

32057247.jpg

8a065eef544743b4b098057faa6bfa2f.jpg

gonou04.jpg

There's a short goods siding adjacent to the station building served by a yard crane, another loop road between the platform and the engine sheds, and a carriage siding off the end of that as well.

As for the structures, the station building is smaller than it is today, and there is a second apartment block next to the first, which has since been demolished.

There's a lot of modelling potential here. When the line was run with steam it was the domain of the 8620 class 2-6-0s, and in the diesel era it was run with DE10s. There was also a good variety of DMUs running through there.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

Another Showa-era photo of Fukaura:

Cheers,

Mark.

Quite a bit of freight being handled here...

Cheers NB

G'day Nick.

Yes, there's a lot of freight wagons earning their keep in that photo. I've noticed in other period Gono line photos there's plenty of freight being hauled. Timber traffic seems very plentiful, either rough sawn logs or woodchip in those Tora open wagons with the modified sides. Mixed trains also seem to have been common there as well - another interesting feature for a lyout based on Fukaura.

gonou02.jpg

21241398843_2ebb68613d_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2