Short white posts between yard tracks ?

velotrain

Could someone tell me what the function of the posts in this photo is - do they mark the path of a buried cable?  What about the periodic taller posts?

gallery_941_135_88622.jpg

I think I've seen them in other places also.  Quite possibly not related at all are the white posts, along the inside of both curves, in this image of the Toden Arakawa.

gallery_941_135_60228.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

Looks like a good place for cables and fiber optics.

In the USA, Ma'Bell (now AT&T) took advantage of the land clearing operations and put telephone poles along UP tracks. When they got the bill it was clear that UP took advantage of them.

velotrain, looking at this some more, I wonder if they're both distance markers. The short ones could be a meter or two apart, and the taller ones could be specific distances such as car lengths, etc.

bikkuri bahn

These are common on the Meitetsu network, on main lines as well as yards. Hard to find a definitive answer, but as others alluded to, they likely indicate curve radius, with the longer posts indicating sections of transition curves. Most railways don't leave them in situ. Meitetsu tends to march to a different drummer in their practices.

• Like 1

I've got no idea of the reason or function of the white posts, but I do like the little blue and orange locos. It'd be far too much to hope that they'd ever be made in Z scale *sigh*

I've got no idea of the reason or function of the white posts, but I do like the little blue and orange locos. It'd be far too much to hope that they'd ever be made in Z scale *sigh*

Indeed - they're not even made in N scale.  Although, there is a World Craft kit that is similar to one of them.

I suspect they're just too much of a minority interest sort of thing.

Guest Closed Account 1

Is there a Z chassis that would work? Then maybe get an N scale shell and 3D clone it. I haven't used them but I was told Kinkos (FEDEX) has 3D printers.

bikkuri bahn

OK I got out on the Meitetsu main line today between Toyohashi and Nagoya. I think I got an idea of the arrangement of the posts, which is more apparent seen from the drivers cabin than from lineside pictures. First of all, the section approaching a curve is marked by a series of white posts. Then come a series of black and white posts, which I believe signify a transition curve. The actual curve is signified by white posts, and the following transition once again by black and white posts. A short section of white posts marks the end of the curve. Please excuse the quality of the following pics, they were taken on a cellphone camera with magnification at 80kmh.

post-133-0-82931200-1439209507_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-10602600-1439209614_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-14816700-1439209654_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-51865600-1439209685_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-90116900-1439209714_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-53981500-1439209848_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-30778000-1439209887_thumb.jpgpost-133-0-49656700-1439209926_thumb.jpg

*the tall posts are 100m markers, numbered 0 to 9

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 4

Thank you very much for the analysis Bikkuri.

I was going to try asking Meitetsu, but their site doesn't have any contact info.

I did send an email to Nagoya Tourism, but I doubt they'll do anything.

Since there are speed restrictions for the trains, do you think these are more for track workers?

Looking at the pics from this thread and the Deki600 to death thread.  The look like marker to show where the outside of the load gauge or danger zone from cars is.  The markers all seem to be the same different from the rails, and they all are on the outside of the curves.  Which is where the overhang from the ends of the cars would be.

Charles, this might be of interest to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallade_method

By comparing the surveyed versine figures to the design versines, this can then be used to determine what slues should be applied to the track in order to make the curve correctly aligned. This is often done using pegs which are driven into the ground in the cess beside the track to be aligned. The process of putting the pegs in the correct positions is known as 'setting out'.

Thanks  miyakoji - I've since seen these posts in many, many photos - I believe including tangent segments of track. 

It seems possible that different railways may use them for different purposes, but they certainly seem very common in Japan.

Edited by velotrain