Isumi Rlwy last delivery of new railcars

bikkuri bahn

I noticed these are Kiha 20s.  Are these brand new?  Or old rebuilt Kihas?

These are Isumi KIHA 20 series, not a JNR KIHA 20 series and are brand new from Niigata Transys: http://isumi.rail.shop-pro.jp/?eid=2137 This train shares the same platform as the Isumi 300 type (301-302) and is thus numbered KIHA 20 1303. This Isumi KIHA 20 is also (by the looks of it), a 18.5 meter train, instead of a 21 meter train, like a JNR KIHA 20.

Thanks for the info.  I saw the passenger doors and though something was different.  Now explained, it is completely different. haha

Interesting idea, classic design with (presumably) up to date mechanicals. I hope they didn't have to pay royalties :).

Mr. Torizuka speaks there for a moment, he was in the latest episode of Railway Journal. In that show I think he said something about what they paid for a DMU, I thought the figure was outrageous, but maybe he was talking about these new ones, not a retired JRE car.

It's definitely modern--probably based on the some of the more modern DMU's built by Niigata Transys (I wouldn't be surprised if it shares some commonality with the JR West KiHa 120). It's going to be interesting to contrast riding this against the really old ex-JNR KiHa 28 run by the Isumi Railway.

bikkuri bahn

It's going to be interesting to contrast riding this against the really old ex-JNR KiHa 28 run by the Isumi Railway.

It's basically a later mark of the Niigata Transys' NDC railcar design, which are widespread.  I suspect it's at least much better riding than the kiha 28 (aircushion vs. coil spring suspension), but then again it's not really fair to compare as the kiha 28 is a more than fifty year old design.