MicroAce vs. Tomix optional parts

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

My new Micro Ace Skyliner has specifications for which Micro Ace couplers to use with them, but given Doug's review of that system, I'd rather use Tomix TN couplers.

What about the Micro Ace interior lighting kits, has anyone used them?

More to the point, does anyone here know which Tomix part numbers (couplers and lighting kits) correspond to the different Micro Ace parts, so I can order the right ones? The data sheet that came with my tray only makes reference to MA part numbers…

Stick with Tomix TN. They are higher quality and have closer coupling. They are available in pairs as well (usually with a price of Y360 - HW and HobbySearch stock these) but usually these are catered to a specific model. Personally, I would suggest buying a whole bunch of the 6 packs. You will always find a use for them. As well, I've actually been holding off on converting newer Microace releases because a.) it's very expensive and b.) I find new MA releases have very close coupling with the stock rapidos. The only time I will always convert is with coupled cab cars.

Just out of curiosity - do you have to "surgically alter" models you want to fit these couplers to in any way or can they just be attached in place of the standard Rapido couplers?

CaptOblivious

Tomix and Micro Ace models are designed to take body or truck-mount TN couplers—check the data sheet that came with your model to find out which couplers are the right ones. Body mount couplers snap in place, but do require you to nip off the old truck-mounted couplers. Replacement truck-mounted couplers snap are simple replacements for the Rapidos, and so also snap-in. In no case is major surgery required.

However, fitting TN couplers to Kato models is nearly impossible without extensive surgery: In these cases, you are better off sticking with whichever couplers Kato supplies.