ICOCA and SUICA question

SantaFe1970

SantaFe1970

OK, I am on the verge of a (first) trip to Japan, and I have an IC card question I can't seem to get a firm answer to from other places...

I will be spending time in both ICOCA and SUICA territory, and I understand these cards are inter-operable. I will be traveling from Kyoto to Tokyo, and will be carrying an ICOCA card with me. I know I can use my ICOCA in Tokyo, but...

In Tokyo (and elsewhere in SUICA territory) can I add value to an ICOCA card? In other words, can I use a SUICA machine to put money onto an ICOCA card?

Edited by SantaFe1970
Hokutosei

Hello!

Yes, you can recharge most of the japanese IC cards in any of the machines of their operators. So you can put money in an ICOCA card on SUICA machines. I like to collect all the different IC cards of the regions of Japan I visit, so many times I use the cards outside of their region, including having to add cash to them.

Greetings

lurkingknight

no issues charging any of the cards outside their region at all.

Only one is hiroshima tram, but just buy a day pass for like 600yen and you get it back in rides trips.

SantaFe1970

Back from Japan now -- as I was advised here, no problems at all adding value to an IC card out of its home territory. I traveled with an ICOCA card (Hello Kitty themed, FYI) and added value at ICOCA, SUICA, and Pasmo machines. Very smooth and efficient, with printed receipts, too.

Santa Fe,

Glad the trip went well! Are you going to do a trip thread for us with some Picts of your adventures?!

How did the kids like it?

Jeff

SantaFe1970

Santa Fe,

Glad the trip went well! Are you going to do a trip thread for us with some Picts of your adventures?!

How did the kids like it?

Jeff

Thanks for the interest, Jeff.

Yep, after I sort through the 100s of camera and iPhone pictures from the trip, I'll post some representative images. 

And the young people on the trip (aged 17-18), of course, thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They were all Japanese-language learners, so they appreciated the chance to test and stretch their listening and speaking skills. Most of them had a deep interest in Japan, particularly the pop-culture worlds of video games, anime, and manga. A chance to play and shop in Akihabara was a highlight of the trip for many. For some of them, this was their first trip out of the United States, and the crowds, very different food, etc. could be challenging. They all returned home exhausted -- but with lots of stories to share with the folks and friends back home -- and some of them will doubtless be returning, as tourists but also perhaps to live and work (at least for a time). 

• Like 1

And the young people on the trip (aged 17-18), of course, thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They were all Japanese-language learners, so they appreciated the chance to test and stretch their listening and speaking skills. Most of them had a deep interest in Japan, particularly the pop-culture worlds of video games, anime, and manga. A chance to play and shop in Akihabara was a highlight of the trip for many. For some of them, this was their first trip out of the United States, and the crowds, very different food, etc. could be challenging. They all returned home exhausted -- but with lots of stories to share with the folks and friends back home -- and some of them will doubtless be returning, as tourists but also perhaps to live and work (at least for a time). 

They are very lucky kids.  I wish I did something like that at their age.

Santa Fe,

That sounds wonderful! Hope the other more classical aspects of Japanese culture made a good impression on them as well and filled in the world of japan to them!

Must have been very interesting to watch them experience then "real" Japan!

Great they got the oppertunity to both get the cultural experience with their language training and just get out of the country to experience a new world!

Glad you had an enjoyable time as well,mgood forward to a vicarious trip with your photos!

Cheers,

Jeff

SantaFe1970

Hope the other more classical aspects of Japanese culture made a good impression on them as well and filled in the world of japan to them!

Yes, the students did respond to traditional Japanese culture and monuments -- castles, temples, and shrines.

But most of them definitely saw Japan through a pop-culture veil.

Its interesting to note the changes in who, at least in the USA, seem to be attracted to Japan. Circa 1985 -- when I was college-aged -- Japan was a rising, dynamic economy, and my memory is that practical- and business-minded young people studied Japan. Today, these same types are learning Chinese and looking for internships and exchange programs in Shanghai, not Tokyo. The young people attracted to Japan these days seems to be introverts and pop-culture fans, not future international business-people. For better or worse, its the example of otaku cullture that seems to attract...

They are 17 year old kids, of course pop-culture interests them more.

80s and 90s interest in Japan was global.  We all needed to learn Japanese.  They were an emerging production power and people were buying their goods cheap.  Now China is following suit.  So we all need to learn Chinese.  But one day they will want increased wages also just like Japan did.

Africa is where the cheapest wages are.  But the political unrest in most nations prevent companies dealing with their factories.  But times will change.  And production of good will move from China to Africa.  Vietnam and Thailand has already seen massive investment in factories in the past 10 years.  Wages are cheaper in these countries now than China, but were on par with each other 10 years ago.

It is great the kids got to experience an international culture.  Japan is great cos the hold on to their old ways but have the mod cons we all need being from western worlds.  I guess in your case, most of the sights you saw were regular tourist spots in modernized area of Japan.  The older rural parts have a completely different flavour compared to the normal urban know tourist spots.