Tomix Tram?

Sascha

Hey guys. I decided to get me the Kato Unitram set when I'm in Tokyo next month since its a lot cheaper and am a little confused. Tomix also sells tram tracks, but no trams. Are they under a different name, or are they just don't make them period ?

The Tomytec trams are of course unmotorized and without working lights (AFAIK), but motor units are sold separately.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch for your answers.

So Kato is the only company that makes Japanese trams with motor? And why are the Tomytrec trams 'of course' unmotorized? Are they more aimed at the advanced modelers?

The entire Tomytec series is unmotorized; parts like motorized chassis are readily available and easy enough to add.

A couple of other companies make motorized trams; Modemo is one, there are a couple of others I'm not really familiar with.

• Like 1

Tomix makes an integrated train, tram and moving bus system. Their brand names are Tomix, Tomytec, Tomy and a few others. Tomix trains and buildings are ready to run, Tomytec trains, buses and buildings are kits (usually snap together).

Assrmbling a Tomytec tram usually means two steps: remove static frame, add motorised frame. This allows swapping a few motors under a bunch of cheap shells depending on what do you want to run.

That said Tomix track and diorama pieces are for layout builders, while Kato tracks are for floor running.

Trams are made by a bunch of companies including Tomix, Kato, Modemo and even Bandai and Greenmax. They come in various forms from ready to run, snap together, painted gluable to unpainted. Tomix even sells tram track assembled under Tomix and in kit form under Tomytec.

All trams run on all track (at and above R140), so what track system you choose is up to you, but if you want buses too you have to stick to Tomix/Tomytec, but it's not suited for floor running like the more child safe Kato.

• Like 1

Great.Now I think I have everything I need to know to start. I am planing on getting a bus system also to use on my 'Historic' part of the layout. Thanks a bunch guys. :)