l shaped viaduct track

jrcrunch

Jrcrunch,

A long time back I did a bunch of large basement layout ideas in xtrakcad and I seek to remember isme issues getting a full L to perfectly line up. Unfortunately I don't have xtrakcad going yet on the new computer to try and find them. If I have some time tonight I'll play with railmodeler.

We have gotten a few partial bumpouts on the club layout that do align up with the geometry, so I expect something can be done. Sorry it's been so long since I did a lot of the larger double viaduct layout ideas.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/layout.html

Jeff

• Like 1

thanks jeff for the rep. havent used xtrackcad and railmodeler. do they have free versions?

Will this work?

I've been working on designing a 12 x 7 L layout.  This is for running my bullet trains.  I'll have a series of tight ovals for freight.

toc36, thanks for the rep as well. appreciate your suggestion but i have another restriction since il pair this up with my ground level track or yamanote track

il attached the files for your reference. im not sure if your suggestion can do so i tried making the layout i wanted but the ends jusst wont meet each other

attached is the xml file of my ground level track.

you can see i plan to pair these 2 layout for my lounge room in my house. an expansion of my original plan

apprecaiate your help

n scale C with extra.xml

post-2093-0-01582800-1429853902_thumb.jpg

post-2093-0-16771900-1429853907_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrcrunch

The tricks is if you use the same radius curves on all corners, then the only thing you have to match is the straights on the long parts. So first create the inner edge of the L with curves only, balance the outer edge straights and then you can add any number of straights to both sides of both legs. Using a track system and curves where the curve radius has the same base as the straights helps. For the Kato canted double curves (both sizes), you'll need 52 mm long sections on both long straights to balance them out before adding extra straights to lengthen the layout. This isn't a length that is available off the shelf, but using S64+S64+S64+S62+S46 sets on both long straights instead of S148+52 would work. Getting them elevated is another challenge. Cutting and shortening two normal straights might be easier. Once you have connecting tracks with this two straights only L, you can insert normal straights in pairs to lengthen any of it's legs.

ps: for the Tomix system, S33+S18.5 pairs can be used

toc36,

what software do you use for building you tracks?

hi kvp,

what is the part number of 52mm and s148?

i am getting frustrated. made a number of drafts and ends woudlnt meet :(   im currently using anyrail as my layout software

need help. thank you

JR,

I am also using AnyRail.  As you know, it has its limitations, but it is easy to use.

You might want to consider using the Kato 20050 expansion track to close gaps.  In AnyRail, you anchor one end and you can drag/stretch the other end to close small gaps.  

If you are in the US, here is a link:  http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-N-20050-3-4-1-4-Expansion-Track-Unitrack-p/kat-20050.htm

If you have the flexibility to adjust your curves, going larger or smaller can close the gap.  You can also experiment with using partial curves and angled straights.

I have attached the track plan that I intend to build.  It still needs work.  I will build the "bullet" loop first and build the smaller loops as 

"railroad" funding becomes available.

Mark

post-2939-0-31854900-1429927685_thumb.jpg

where will the piers go in that layout?

those 10 loops don't really make a lot of sense.  maybe a 2 line figure of 8 track with a bridge would be better.

Edited by katoftw

Katoftw,

That's why I'm still in the planning stage!  I think that I will have to custom craft piers that will span the lower level tracks.  I don't see this as a major problem.  There are a lot of good examples/ideas near my home.  Lot of recent 6-8 lane interstate and multi-lane "flyover".  

The 10 loop is really a place-holder.  I have another plan that joins the two "ovals" into a double track loop.  I'm leaning towards either the joined double loop or two double loops.  I will use view blocks to create some visual separation.

The 10 loops doesn't' make sense from an operations or proto-type perspective.  However, I like the 10 loop concept because I like motion and the loops will give the visual appearance of a large freight yard.  The tracks will not be anchored so I will be able to modify the plan.

Mark    

Edited by toc36

finally! was able to create this using some 29mm tracks. the ground cruve tracks will be placed in a tunnel

i only have a concern with 248mm (20-401) when connected to the 20-545L. it fits or connects but it is not perfect. also attached a close up of it

i attached a jpg picture of my viaduct shinkansen layout with my ground tracks.

need some comments. hope this viaduct track is safe for my shinkansens

*the red parts in the picture are the parts i need to buy more

post-2093-0-22108700-1429951509_thumb.jpg

post-2093-0-08580400-1429951516_thumb.jpg

viaduct l shaped b.pdf

viaduct l shaped b.xml

post-2093-0-30131900-1429951844_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrcrunch

looks good.  just hide the S29 pieces in a tunnel or behind a tall building, that way they wont been seen out of place compared to the other viaduct pieces.

just a question.  have you left yourself enough space for your platforms on the edge of the layout.  guessing your using one sided platforms where the 6x 248mm pieces are?

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
thanks katoftw,

yep that is what i plan to do. the s29 and the next 3 ground tracks will be under a tunnel. 

what is your opinion on the closeup pic of 20-401 connected to 20545l or the 248mm straight connect to the left curved transition track

structure i plan on this layout are mountain/hill with a tunnel. some kato and tomytec buildings, roads and 1/150 buses and of course the ground and viaduct station. do you guys think i can still have a 2 yards? one for my viaduct trains and ground trains? 

You can fit a yard under the shinkansen station if you branch off on the other side and go around the main ground loop under the elevated tracks at the back.