What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

11 hours ago, railsquid said:

My journey through their back catalogue continues with this very fetching DF90-1:

I do like this. What’s the product code out of interest? This is very nice indeed. I still want a DD50 but ¥25,000 is quite a price tag for N gauge. 

2 hours ago, Kamome said:

I do like this. What’s the product code out of interest? This is very nice indeed. I still want a DD50 but ¥25,000 is quite a price tag for N gauge. 

A8203 (if you click through to the Flickr photo page it's noted there)

On 2/22/2020 at 5:28 PM, Sheffie said:

Super buzzy. I will take a look under the lighted magnifier later on and see if there’s anything obviously wrong. 

This is the greenmax thing, right?  IIRC mine was "buzzy" too.  They use coreless motors.  Could this be a factor in the sound?

17 hours ago, chadbag said:

This is the greenmax thing, right?  IIRC mine was "buzzy" too.  They use coreless motors.  Could this be a factor in the sound?

I noticed a big metal screw at the end of the drive shaft, rigidly attached to the motor. The front bogey both collects power and drives the train, and seems to consist of lots of springy copper. Not sure about the motor itself. 

In other news, my Hobby Search sale stuff arrived:

141B1120-CE2B-499E-82BE-955265B05302.thumb.jpeg.307535eed74ecc4981ce38b32341477e.jpeg

Extra containers (I already had a set) and catenary poles, and the kit to be bashed to make the station entrance. 

• Like 7

Scored another two boxes of 8040 Mitsubishi Taki1900's on YAJ, they were sold together for ¥4000, which makes it ¥2000 per set. I couldn't let that pass, even though I'm not actually on good terms with my wallet at the moment 😄 Now only one left to get, then that mission should be finished.

• Like 4

Some more containers, because you can never have enough of them:

containers.thumb.jpg.e7821ec2b922fc07628342c1ca7cfe1c.jpg

Also an EF-65 and an Izumo for it to pull, my first purchase in Japanese N scale was the Tomix EF-65 and two car Izumo/blue train set so this was nice to get even if it is a bit south in Japan for my layout:

izumo.thumb.jpg.af7f87fd0dc5c6084ce55b2449b9520d.jpg

Also probably one of the more useful tools I've bought, a Wave parts spreader, makes taking loco shells off of the chassis less scary (also a foam loco cradle to make working on them more stable):

partspreader.thumb.jpg.a5af2a30214f437370e5a1c6e178fe5b.jpg

And finally in case anyone wondered if the new light set for the Super Hitachi (upgrade on right) was worth it I think the pictures speak for themselves, it's even more noticeable on the Azusa upgrade (don't think I have to point that one out...):

hitachi.thumb.jpg.30af95c34716bcfe40d8279b78468be8.jpg

asuza.thumb.jpg.861a2a07531989b9477e992188ed0144.jpg

• Like 14
5 hours ago, nah00 said:

And finally in case anyone wondered if the new light set for the Super Hitachi (upgrade on right) was worth it I think the pictures speak for themselves

It has given this old girl a new lease of life. Did you get the new interior lights too? 

7 hours ago, Kamome said:

It has given this old girl a new lease of life. Did you get the new interior lights too? 

I opted to keep the original lights in it, I like the softer color and I haven't really had any problems with flicker on the lights in the coaches but the cab and and tail lights definitely left something to be desired. It did take some doing to get the new lightboard to work correctly, also didn't help that every time you take it out to reseat it it would push the light switch on the bottom of the car to 'off' and I would think that I did something wrong. 

Stuck at home more than usual for various reasons, including avoiding the Big Bad Corona Virus, so working through some of the backlog pile, including this MicroAce DD13:

49583791871_6792ccc182_z.jpg

MicroAce DD13 (DD13-85) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which was (now here's a surprise) very cheap because non-runner, which turned out to be a design flaw (fixable, see here for details).

This is one of those MicroAce models which should be avoided as the Kato version is overall much better, unless like me you're a sucker for this kind of challenge, also this is one number away from a bunch of DD13s allocated to Hachioji, so in the worst case it could have become yard filler.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, railsquid said:

which was (now here's a surprise) very cheap because non-runner, which turned out to be a design flaw (fixable, see here for details).

This is one of those MicroAce models which should be avoided as the Kato version is overall much better, unless like me you're a sucker for this kind of challenge, also this is one number away from a bunch of DD13s allocated to Hachioji, so in the worst case it could have become yard filler.

That has to be one of the worst designed bogies I've ever seen. 

My Twilight Express arrived today, I'll take it to the club tomorrow and see how it runs. 😄 I'll share some pictures of it then and maybe even start an own thread for my rolling stock which is slowly growing

• Like 3

Forgot to mention the day of the Greater Houston Train Show, I picked these guys up for a whopping...$5! 😜

Pigeons, Seagulls, Crows and Birds of Prey

Preiser-10169.jpg

Edited by mvaron
  • Like 8
42 minutes ago, mvaron said:

Forgot to mention the day of the Greater Houston Train Show, I picked these guys up for a whopping...$5! 😜

Pigeons, Seagulls, Crows and Birds of Prey

Preiser-10169.jpg

Those are awesome. What are you going to do the birds of prey in flying pose? 

Just now, gavino200 said:

Those are awesome. What are you going to do the birds of prey in flying pose? 

Thanks!

I'm not sure yet...but near the take-off point I could use a very thing wire underneath, same color as the ground to show them flying?

• Like 1

Yep works well. Some with cranes. Using ultra fine rod, not painted, but that could help but also enlarge the diameter a lot. Would also probably work better to curve the wire away from the bird so it’s not a hard vertical that catches the eye. I was just messing around. They now live on a JNS members layout, I can’t remember exactly who got them.

.004” is the finest I’ve found that stays pretty stiff

https://www.ngineering.com/other_detail_stuff.htm

jeff

AF775DD9-425C-4B50-B718-B4F7E6085698.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Cranes were easy as they are pretty big! These I just did on a whim one evening after a discussion on making birds. Just wire frame for legs, body form, neck and head. Then patty to build out the body. Wings are paper. Then painted with some thick acrylic paints to give things some depth and texture. I did a gull later but have lost it, problem when making things in the 5mm size range. There’s a chap on shapeways with 3D printed pigeons. 

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/cranes/index.html

cheers

jeff

21 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Cranes were easy as they are pretty big! These I just did on a whim one evening after a discussion on making birds. Just wire frame for legs, body form, neck and head. Then patty to build out the body. Wings are paper. Then painted with some thick acrylic paints to give things some depth and texture. I did a gull later but have lost it, problem when making things in the 5mm size range. There’s a chap on shapeways with 3D printed pigeons. 

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/cranes/index.html

cheers

jeff

Those are really great Jeff!

• Like 1

Sorry for the silence... Been pretty hectic at work ~ And yes I still love trains !  🙂 

Even though I am so desperately (and failing) trying to reduce my roster... I still couldn't stop buying …. 

20200218_201131.thumb.jpg.cdf4d0bc8774dc5ac96b26eb9879cfc8.jpg

Haha you know me ~  😛

20200218_201215.thumb.jpg.efef9a8670455b0d41e2ae8808b1bfa0.jpg

Kiha47 Isaburo-Shinpei, 2 Seiryu liners (love the articulated buses), Narita airport bus & 2 more island wide buses... 

20200218_201312.thumb.jpg.e2de163d3419c591ee7857266e5b1fa5.jpg

Gotta love the Articulated Mercedes Citaro buses!

20200218_201738.thumb.jpg.f5d924d38e167bf722ba5c904ab20b79.jpg

20200218_201826.thumb.jpg.aa191dda5944142f48a8f500f3d8d808.jpg

And the Isaburo-Shinpei to accompany my Hayato no Kaze ~  🙂

• Like 14
deathletter

Thanks to fellow JNS member nah00, I am closer to completing my Mitsubishi Cement train. I now only need 7-9 more of these Takis. Later in the week, I hope to have some more things that I purchased from him to show you all. 😁

1101046831_takisx4.thumb.jpg.4860b1e0cd32023f01e723252fff5926.jpg

• Like 9