What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

4 hours ago, nah00 said:

Admitting you have a koki problem is the first step. But I don't have a koki problem, I have a space for kokis problem. 

I have space for your kokis and containers. I can send a prepaid package your way...

• Haha 2

That looks like a good amount of trees. I approve. 

Today I received another 60 saplings, a Kato SX power supply, a DD51 loco, and a signal box kit. I’ll post some photos in a while, after the kid goes to bed 

• Like 1

I got (another) Seaside Liner, this time a Kiha 58/65 pair!  With the upcoming releases from tomix I'll be halfway to getting every train variant of the service.  Big thanks to Jr for picking up the set for me in one of his recent orders.

20190801_215032_compress93.thumb.jpg.5c9f04bf206719cdfdd4ea73160baee3.jpg

(the set is new, just somehow came in the most tattered box I've gotten yet from japan.  At least it was 50% off!)

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Das Steinkopf

A few bit’s and pieces came last week but I was too busy fitting the 0337 TN’s to every piece of stock conceivable, I only have my KiYa 95 and KiHa 75 left to do. 

B201ED0B-26C0-4E4B-BD60-02E6ECD0D821.jpeg

• Like 3
Drunkenclam

A few little bits and bobs today. With I hope, my last bit of unitrack and a different type of station for my hot spring area.

20190802_171649.thumb.jpg.4453b1c93be0e7dc6e5910f568440559.jpg

• Like 6

At the Kyoto Railway Museum yesterday I picked up this car.  I had hoped they would have some special container packs but did not see any, so this will have to do,

IMG_1677.thumb.jpg.b24cf862b47ac90ca840989f860aeb59.jpg

• Like 10
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

At the Kyoto Railway Museum yesterday I picked up this car.  I had hoped they would have some special container packs but did not see any, so this will have to do,

Any other souvenirs?  I imagine they have a lot available.

No picture, but I finally found and ordered some very small (48x40mm) and thin ziploc baggie things just right for storing all those little bits associated with N gauge models. They are about half the size of the smallest type I've found on sale in shops and fit just nicely in the little parts slot inside bookcases and individual locomotive boxes.

• Like 1

Very handy. I have a selection of these as they are so handy and I get the thicker ones as I’ve lost a few bits fro recycling some very thin old ones.

jeff

29 minutes ago, railsquid said:

No picture, but I finally found and ordered some very small (48x40mm) and thin ziploc baggie things just right for storing all those little bits associated with N gauge models. They are about half the size of the smallest type I've found on sale in shops and fit just nicely in the little parts slot inside bookcases and individual locomotive boxes.

A fishing tackle box is also a great way to store small parts.  The small dividers mean you can fit a lot in a small space, and you can remove a few if you need to hold larger parts.  

• Like 1

Should keep me busy for a bit.

Had lots on lately, tomorrow is train shed day (l hope).

3m x 3m garden shed contents...

Potting wheel and associated crap (hers)

Work bench and tool chest (mine)

Wood heater (ours)

Train set.......

Hope to add 30cm all around on the layout.

20190803_164030.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

A fishing tackle box is also a great way to store small parts.  The small dividers mean you can fit a lot in a small space, and you can remove a few if you need to hold larger parts.  

I've been using stackable jewlery parts / bead boxes. They work pretty well also.

The use-case (hah) I have for these is to keep the bits and pieces together, (number plates, the little various bits you attach to the roof, those little round train headboards etcetera, often only measuring a couple of mm) which come with locos and bookcase sets particularly when you end up separating more parts than intended. The plastic bags they come in aren't the most reliable once they're open so it's nice to have sealable bags small enough to easily fit back into the respective box/case.

• Like 2

Yeah for parts like that i use the bags as it lets me write part numbers, notes etc on it easily. Then those go into their respective train box like squid mentions or small plastic boxes with similar stuff (ie I have a box of pantographs, wheel sets, detail parts, etc.). I also sometimes just cut down the piece of cardboard from the original part bag and slip it in with the part for super clear ID.

Few issues I have with parts boxes with small compartments is they can be hard to get stuff out of w.o tweezers, one whoops with the top open and everything flys or can be mixed. Also many times the lids do not adequately seal the compartments off so if tipped while closed some small parts can migrate bins.

im also a fan of small vials to hold tiny stuff as it can be easier to sort and store and dump stuff out. Bead vials and little plastic test tubes with pressure fit or screw lids works great for small bits and such. Only problem is how to hold the vials in storage compactly and not a lot of space to label them well (squint squint).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5ml-Sample-Bottle-Plastic-Test-Tube-Mini-Small-Bottles-Vials-Medicine-Container/183902541966?hash=item2ad172188e:m:mCcIKBSIgmb-wgkgfcj1MxQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-5ml-Plastic-Frozen-Test-Tubes-Vial-Screw-Seal-Cap-Pack-Container-Gasket-SP/264041253308?epid=582029311&hash=item3d7a15c9bc:g:G38AAOSwJ7RYUO0-

its the never ending path to total enlightenment for the perfect small parts/pieces storage and ID! Nothing is perfect and we all have our own issues to deal with on this. I’ve always had hobbies that had a lot of this so always a challenge. I must have a few hundred different screws, nails, bolts etc in the shop I’m always trying to figure out the perfect system to eventually do them all in, now it’s in like 10 different systems! 

Jeff

• Like 1

Couple of sal boxes from hobbylink japan. Ironic the larger, heavier one showed up 2 days earlier than the light one, usually the other way around. It was a mix of stuff from their last sale and some odd parts to finally finish all the Tomytec trains laying around. Took a while to find all the parts at the usual suspects with who had what in stock. Now about 15 to work on assembling — they had been piling up!

got some misc small etched tools that were on sale but best was a 1/150 scale ruler in feet and m. Only 300¥ from three sheep design. Sadly they are not currently in stock and I’ve had one backordered now for 2 months as well as they look to be handy. Usually the 2mm to a foot works well but easy to forget at times to double or divide while measuring stuff.

jeff

9A03BB1E-4432-4C19-8BED-DB8C0D2F28D8.jpeg

• Like 1
On 8/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, Chuo said:

I have space for your kokis and containers. I can send a prepaid package your way...

I have two KoKi problems:
~I don't have enough in N and haven't been making a good effort to fix that

~I can't find any more Katos for a reasonable price in HO

~I don't have any room for more of either, as the boxes for both are quite full and the HO stuff in particular takes a lot of space.

Edited by GDorsett
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

~I don't have any room for more of either, as the boxes for both are quite full and the HO stuff in particular takes a lot of space.

I know this feeling well, my shelf of HO holds about 10 locos, where as if it was N it could hold about 50 kato bookcases.

• Like 1

I use large, flat boxes for my HO stuff that goes to shows. My Japanese box contains 12 KoKi 104, 14 assorted  WaMu, and four 12 series coaches. The box does not contain: 1 Yo 8000, 1 DE10, 1 EF510, 2 EF65s. I can fit litterally my entire N scale stock in there from both countries and have more than half of the space left for expansion. Don't get me wrong, I like my HO, but wow does it take up a lot of space.

When I finally got my HO Big Boy, I just stood there clutching it like some excited child...then realized the box was the length of my torso and wasn't that much bigger than the locomotive...

Edited by GDorsett
  • Like 1

I had something similar when I finally got my HO California Zephyr, the box for the set is bigger than my desk!  Its been bouncing around various corners of the room as I try to find the best place to store it. 

• Like 1

I’m slowly filling out my track and bridge allotment and thanks to Sammy (JR 500) I have a lot more. He packed the box like a champion, I don’t think there was any space left in the box.

76028C60-05D3-4A68-BAB2-B60CA7542B0E.jpeg

• Like 4
JR 500ç³»
6 hours ago, Keith said:

I’m slowly filling out my track and bridge allotment and thanks to Sammy (JR 500) I have a lot more. He packed the box like a champion, I don’t think there was any space left in the box.

I'm glad the box arrived safely! Have fun building the layout!

Another Ami box, this time, a long overdue Kumamon train, which is REALLY cute... just that Tomix pulled a fast one and left out one of the directional lighting on the Orange train... 

20190730_182246.thumb.jpg.71d8e40a75146e21411e1cd911f5a5e6.jpg

20190730_182252.thumb.jpg.c9dd86c463d02d8350e308b4d7e2ad94.jpg

20190730_182322.thumb.jpg.200f1f0aa20ceb72595ba9618425c064.jpg

And the 209-1000 series Chuo line... Gotta love the looks on this one! Just a pity the basic is only 4-cars long... getting the add-on would mean 10 cars which I cant run... 

20190730_182400.thumb.jpg.cc8c1ade0f40fe878bd6cdfe24c72abe.jpg

20190730_182427.thumb.jpg.60cea0d59576a4f34026561dcdf021ad.jpg

• Like 6

More cars is more fun, though!

<- regularly has train tail chasing sessions.

<- gets upset when they can barely fit a tiny train onto a temporary layout, let along the massive, full-sized ones seen on club layouts.

17 hours ago, JR 500ç³» said:

Just a pity the basic is only 4-cars long... getting the add-on would mean 10 cars which I cant run..

I’d say get the add on too. There will always be other layouts and then you’d wished you had got the full formation. 

I too cant really run more than about 8 cars at home without looking ridiculous but when I go to the club days, I can run 17 car shinkansens (E2+E3) quite happily.