What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

5 hours ago, Cat said:

Searching in Japanese is essential.  Using Hobby Search's item pages, flipping them from English to Japanese, then copying and pasting the key part of item names works a charm.

Brilliant! Thanks. 🙂

I received a gift card from work, and a check from my in-laws, due to a recent birthday, with instructions to spend the latter on trains. 

So. 

Ordered:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10511905

Greenmax 4714 Multiple Tie Tamper Odakyu Type (w/Motor) (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Freight Car

This is a happy choice, because with the Odakyu marking it’s an item found on Japanese railways, but with just the Plasser & Theurer branding, it’s also something that I remember seeing in Britain. 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 4

Tomix 153 low cab set plus the two car add on and the , Saro 165 and Sashi 153 was released from the Post Office having paid the HMRC ransom. 
High Grade set with lots of add on parts, but there’s only two pantographs for an 8 car consist, is that enough?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

Tomix 153 low cab set plus the two car add on and the , Saro 165 and Sashi 153 was released from the Post Office having paid the HMRC ransom. 
High Grade set with lots of add on parts, but there’s only two pantographs for an 8 car consist, is that enough?

Wait a minute. There are more Tomix High Grade products out there? I thought it was just the cruise train Shikishima. 

/ runs to the Google 

There are so many high grade products... I have several. The Hokkaido KIHA's, the Nagano snow monkey train... plenty others. Basically it means you don't have to bother getting TN couplers, because some high grade products are not deserving of their name in my opinion (the Yufuin no Mori is a great example).

Progressive grade however is only the Shiki Shima and Twilight Express Mizukaze so far.

19 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

Could be. Tomix has several examples of running consists. No eight-car but a seven-car with two pantographs and a ten and twelve-car with three.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10633236/50/2

edit:

Wikipedia shows a eight-car consist with two MoHa 152.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄153系電車

Edited by disturbman
8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Was there ever a distinction put forward on progressive grade vs high grade?

Yes, it was heavily marketed by TOMIX for the E001, the first PG train. They market it PG trains as "flagship" products. The primary distinctions are:

• Interior lighting in all cars
  • Special engine for slow and smooth operation
  • Electric conducting cars on non-shinkansen trains
  • Additional detailing of the interior and exterior of the trains (for example the colored pantographs for the E001, the interior for the Twilight Mizukaze and the E001 reception car).

All of the above are features that are not on High Grade, which as far as I can tell only have TN couplers compared to the ordinary grade. Sure some have additional detailing here and there, or are in a special livery that is very popular, but like I mentioned some trains do not deserve it because details that should have been on it are strangely lacking.

That or I am missing something.

• Thanks 1

Currently having a Tomix Twilight Express set laying around at the customs office for two weeks now. It always takes ages and I always have to show up at their office to unbox it and show them an invoice... Which I don‘t even have but the take random PayPal payment recipes to ZenMarket as well, so there‘s that 😄

Just won an auction on a pair of Kato 8040 Mitsubishi Taki1900 for my E851 to pull. Now I need another 4 or 5 of them 😄 If anyone knows where I might be able to get some more (for around 2500¥ or less), please let me know! 🙂

EDIT: Make it two, found one for buy-out, too 😄

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I really like this. I plan on doing some paint work on the ladders this evening. 

It looks amazing. How does it run?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

It looks amazing. How does it run?

Super buzzy. I will take a look under the lighted magnifier later on and see if there’s anything obviously wrong. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Just won an auction on a pair of Kato 8040 Mitsubishi Taki1900 for my E851 to pull. Now I need another 4 or 5 of them.... 

I have 11 of them and I am looking to buy 11 to 13 more. I will be looking for these when I visit Japan next month. 🙃

On 2/20/2020 at 11:33 PM, Fenway Park said:

The rule was usually at least one power car per trailer, so an eight with two pairs of MoHas (which you have) would be fine. I have a ten with three pairs based around an ancient Kato set, which can also run as a twelve by borrowing a SaRo 163 and SaHaShi 165.

From the 153 Series on JNR used paired motor coaches, the MoHa 153 has traction motors too and gets its power from the pantograph on the MoHa 152. This allowed them to spread the weight across two vehicles and effectively produces a sixteen wheeled motor unit.

This was one of JNR’s prototype diesel locomotives and I thought the colour scheme was for a special occasion. Asian Railway Conference?

Mine is in storage but when last used had developed a scream from the mechanism.