What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

The 885 looks great you can really see how the UK class 800 is of the same A train pedigree.

Edited by Wonderbolt

A day late with this but yesterday I got the YSK small shrine and torii gate that I ordered from Rakuten. The Hobby Search website lists a number of this company's small detail items but it shows them all as being sold out. I guess I got lucky finding that shrine in stock on the Rakuten website. Anyone know if this company is still in business?  

A day late with this but yesterday I got the YSK small shrine and torii gate that I ordered from Rakuten. The Hobby Search website lists a number of this company's small detail items but it shows them all as being sold out. I guess I got lucky finding that shrine in stock on the Rakuten website. Anyone know if this company is still in business?

I am very interested in seeing how what this kit looks like. Can you upload a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but I have no idea how to post a picture online, my computer skills are pretty limited. This item is not a kit but is made up of three castings and it's a really miniscule thing. Two make up the tiny shrine itself, a reddish-brown one for the "structure" and a light gray one for the base, along with a bright red one for the torii gate which is less than an inch tall. If there's time tomorrow I'm going to paint the roof dark gray and paint the torii gate a less garish shade of red. The Rakuten listing referred to the castings as being resin but I'm not sure if they're that or some kind of plastic. 

Bob

Edited by enodenlover

Got me a JR West Series 683 "Thunderbird" with a more striking livery - glossy black window bands and a deep blue stripe compared to their other offerings.

post-2776-0-35391700-1486101956_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-01251500-1486102032_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-17512600-1486101958_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-56197800-1486101960_thumb.jpg

JR West trains are arriving - recently the 227 Redwing and waiting for the 323 with Orange Window bands.

• Like 5

Got me a JR West Series 683 "Thunderbird" with a more striking livery - glossy black window bands and a deep blue stripe compared to their other offerings.

That is one nice looking train especially with the new thunderbird logo across 2 carriages!

Anyone know if this company is still in business?  

Not only are they still in business, but appear to be increasing their range, as hlj (Hobby Link Japan) lists 335 items from them, including many 1:12 and 1:144 items in their military range.  They also have a lot of "Idle pieces" - whatever they are.  Although, reflecting what you said about HS, many seem to be OoS or backordered, although available in 4-6 weeks.

One thing in particular struck me as potentially interesting - https://hlj.com/product/YSK-00291

Overly simplified, but certainly something that Tomytec doesn't offer, and a case where a bit of detailing would help greatly - although, you do need to do your own rigging.

Since Jeff is keen on ships, maybe he can comment.

There's also a fair number of house accessories, although some seem expensive for a single piece, and there's also a partial overlap with Toni's line.

JR West trains are arriving - recently the 227 Redwing and waiting for the 323 with Orange Window bands.

The new livery is definitely much more appealing than the original, rather dull livery.

The 227 is also definitely a very cool train!

Got some good deals on the Bay again.

Old Tomix JR E501 series

post-3895-0-40294900-1486124662_thumb.jpg

Looking for the additional SaHa 501 now.

Kato DR VT 18.16 Prototype

post-3895-0-12197800-1486124665_thumb.jpg

Along with the production model

post-3895-0-13743300-1486124668_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Yep velotrain, that's the shrine I purchased. It's a tiny thing but it adds a nice bit of detail. I did a online search and found out that small roadside shrines like this can be found all over Japan, both Shinto and Buddist. This was my first experience with Rakuten and I was pleasantly surprised that the shrine arrived just a week after I ordered it.

Bob

I didn't mean delivery so much as online response time, which seems to vary a lot (sort of like PayPal), while I find HS reliably fast - even with DSL.

Guest keio6000

recent roundup:

landed:

• Keisei 3000 6-car set.  Found for a good price (11000) online.  The 8 car set easily goes for double that.
  • Tomix 211 Nagano area courtesy of Nariichi-san.  Better than expected given that it is an old mould.
  • Seibu 101 Seibu-Tamagawa iine white custom repaint!  The standard of finish i'd say is 7 or 8 of 10, but still much better than i could do on my own.  4 car set.
  • MicroAce Keio 8000.  Finally!  After so many years!   Standard microace finish - nothing spectacular, but we have an 8000!

on approach:

• tetsudou collection toei mita 5000.  a classic, but i dont love it enough to pay 35000 for it if microace releases it.
  • tomix toei shinjuku 10-300 (Gen 4).   can't wait for this.  it looks superb.  the tomix odakyu 4000 which this should be similar to was superb, and I suspect this will be even more so.

boarding:

• odakyu 1000 'hakone tozan red' 4-car set microace.  expensive!  but, i need this set :).  too many good memories of this train.
  • greenmax keio 8000 'takao train.'  the holy grail.  let's see how gm's 8000 will compare to microace's.

crashed and burned:

• microace keisei 3600.  won for a decent but not cheap price via an auction service,   got a note that the seller declined to ship to the buyer (the auction service) even though the auction service has a pretty stellar reputation.
  • tetsudou collection keisei 3500 x2 - thanks to banzai hobby's amateur listing/stocking practices.
  • tetsudou collection keisei 3500 x2 - plazajapan claims it got lost in the mail, but i doubt they ever sent it.

under consideration:

• kato's new seibu commuter.  video on youtube looks superb.

delayed arrival now on approach:  a box that i bought years ago, was shipped to my address in another country, and i will finally see only now.  don't ask.  and yes, it's a big one.

• Kato Ginza 01. I love this train. This was s triplicate that i bought mega cheap.  (one of the triplicatesis donating its undersides to a tetsudou collection set).
  • Greenmax Seibu (new) 2000 shinjuku line
  • Mix of kato viaduct track
  • Tomix 209 0 keihin tohoku i forget why i think its to complete or lengthen a set i have.
  • GM Tokyu 8500 den en toshi line 8-car set (4+4)
  • Tokyo monorail 1000 well built model
  • Microace odakyu 2600 orange/blue in the wooden box.  Bought for 4500 in new condition.
  • Micoroace tokyo metro 5000 tozai line. this has since gotten quite htf but it goes in waves with that one.
  • GM Keio 8000 2x2 middle 4-car pre-colored sets to extend a 4-car set i have.  Bought this before it seemed likely that MA or GM would ever make one.
  • GM TOkyu 8090 toyoko line 8-car set
  • MA Keio 3000 Inokashira violet.  Another bargain.  
  • Microace A-8181 12-000 oedo line silve one.  fugly train.
  • Kato W7 Hakutaka.  Love the name Hakutaka - glad they kept it.
  • Microace Tokyo metro 07 Tozai line.  
  • Microace 6300 Mita line
  • Old collection of 200 truck/car collection buses/cars/etc.
  • Greenmax Seibu 30000 smile train.  very nice model now justifiably htf.
Edited by keio6000

How does EMS compare to DHL in terms of delivery time vs price then?

DHL will deliver 7 days a week and on some federal holidays (in the United States at least). Longest DHL has ever taken was 4 days for me, shortest was 2 (!) days. It generally prices favorably with EMS but there is a tipping point where it gets crazy expensive since their shipping is based on standardized boxes fitting in a standardized container for a plane. 

I pre-ordered the Tomix 500 EVA few months ago from Amazon Japan. The shipping cost to California, USA was absurdly high at 5,005 JPY when I preordered it. When Amazon released it couple days ago I went and check what the shipping cost should have been and it's only 1,656 JPY. So I emailed Amazon about the discrepancy and they acknowledged the mistake and refunded me the difference. 

I'm writing it here in case anybody else has the same issue. If so, be sure to send Amazon an email to get your money back. :) It was relatively quick and painless.

• Like 3

Ordered a Kobe shintetsu 1300 arrived two days ago. Along with the additional pantograph and motor unit. Quite impressed. Arrg there upside down, ohwell

post-4121-0-20357900-1486233059_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-45708000-1486233088_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-50359700-1486233120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thankyu6300
  • Like 2

Another package arrived, so I made some photos (inspired by JR 500 :) ). 7-Eleven is for kvp, football teams and TGW sheets for another friend, while I will try to make a construction site on a T-trak modul, plus I was curious about the bridge if it is usable or not.

post-212-0-25715800-1486374346_thumb.jpg   post-212-0-03201700-1486374347_thumb.jpg   post-212-0-79784200-1486374347_thumb.jpg   post-212-0-80351100-1486374348_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Another package arrived, so I made some photos (inspired by JR 500 :)

Thanks! I'm flattered!   :)

I always take photos when a parcel arrives... This ensures that the items are correctly packed as per ordered, and in the event of any disputes I could show pictures to the retailers... But more for taking stock and knowing which item came in which shipment with what other items..   :)

• Like 3

I pre-ordered the Tomix 500 EVA few months ago from Amazon Japan. The shipping cost to California, USA was absurdly high at 5,005 JPY when I preordered it. When Amazon released it couple days ago I went and check what the shipping cost should have been and it's only 1,656 JPY. So I emailed Amazon about the discrepancy and they acknowledged the mistake and refunded me the difference. 

I'm writing it here in case anybody else has the same issue. If so, be sure to send Amazon an email to get your money back. :) It was relatively quick and painless.

Wait, so it is now possible to order model trains from Amazon JP and have Amazon ship them to the USA?  Without a proxy/forwarding service? And with reasonable shipping charges?

I feel like I've been living under a rock. 

Wait, so it is now possible to order model trains from Amazon JP and have Amazon ship them to the USA?  Without a proxy/forwarding service? And with reasonable shipping charges?

Yes they would ship it to USA addresses with no proxy service for most Kato and Tomix items that are sold directly by Amazon JP (not other sellers on Amazon). Discounts range from 20 to 37%, which is better than most sales in other hobby stores. Also, I should mention that the prices on Amazon JP includes the 8% tax, which they don't charge if you are outside Japan. Unfortunately they won't ship Bandai B-train shorty stuff outside Japan.

Shipping is very reasonable and lightening quick with DHL. Mind you the packing from Amazon isn't great, as I have had severely crushed shipping boxes multiple times. They use plastic (like saran wrap) to wrap your items to a piece of cardboard that is glued to the bottom of the box, and ships it without any other packaging materials. Luckily I haven't had any damaged goods, but only minor dings on the item's actual packaging. Also, if the items are too large, Amazon JP won't ship it internationally (e.g. the larger Kato variation packs and M1/M2).

New acquisitions that arrived today:

Tomix EVA 500

Kato 885 series

Kato Series 20 Nihonkai

2 sets of Kato interior lighting kit 11-212

With that, I will be good with trains for awhile! Hopefully no more large purchases in the near future. It will be a good night assuming I find time to open all these stuff! 

Edited by locidm
  • Like 4

For this post, I would LOVE To include the music from the anime Evangelion...

So DHL just dropped off the Eva 500 on Sunday again. Great delivery timing... Cant complain much on this...

post-819-0-27152100-1486448693_thumb.jpg

Only 1 item in this box... but this one item justifies the DHL delivery just for it:

post-819-0-55546600-1486448694_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-36375800-1486448695_thumb.jpg

Tada!

post-819-0-87690100-1486448695_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-37755100-1486448696_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-88557400-1486448696_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-07682900-1486449145_thumb.jpg

The box is really beautiful... comes with a really hard cover and beautifully painted external box, like those you find on special sets like the Sayonara Twlight Express... Box art is also fantastic!

post-819-0-32019300-1486449146_thumb.jpg

All beautifully painted 8 cars!

post-819-0-56111100-1486449148_thumb.jpg

A special instruction sheet to tell you the proper formation of the Eva 500 series. It seems the box was not catered for putting the cars in the order 1, 2, 3 to 8 due to the pantographs.

post-819-0-41569300-1486449149_thumb.jpg

Don't you just LOVE it! My favorite train + favorite anime two in 1!!

post-819-0-62963700-1486449150_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-45891800-1486449151_thumb.jpg

Closer look at the car and their paintings...

post-819-0-63828600-1486449152_thumb.jpg

Special look into car 1... Yap, it's plain. You have to paste the stickers yourself... And no interior light slots... nor do you need any actually since the windows are all covered up opaque...

I have a new favorite train set!   :)

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 8

Try searching for models on Amazon's US site. If I type Kato into the UK one I get loads of marketplace results from Japan. Delivery usually by SAL, never had a problem with customs and prices are pretty good.

Bit of a weird bag. This morning I opened a Kato 4096 (a Series 0 Shinkansen green car, type 16 2000). Can't find any other matching stock but you never know what's in the next ebay listing or model shop's second hand section. It was too cheap to pass by!

I also have a Kato 415 Series (10-437) on its way, in need of some care. It's missing the dummy coupler and skirt from one Kuha and also seems to be minus one aerial from a cab roof, but it apparently runs and it was cheap. I have a spare dummy coupler but no skirt, so at least some of the yawning gap will be filled. Might video the service and coupler swap it'll get on arrival.

If anyone knows of an online retailer with a stash of the cab skirts, can they let me know? I need one for a Kuha 455 as well, think it's the same part.