What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I ordered a Tomix 800-1000 6 car Shinkansen and Tomix TN knuckle couplers from MTP.

And some Hoki 800 ballast cars and 30A and 18D container turned up while typing the post.

Really, you got something that doesn't have headlights?

Only stuff normally without headlights is Tomytec stuff.

Still kind of new to this... The Kato DE10 doesn't light up, and neither do the Kokuden sets (though they're cheap as it is).

Hmm, just checking the Kato catalogue, DE10 should have working headlights :(

Hmm, just checking the Kato catalogue, DE10 should have working headlights :(

Did you get it as a cheap 2nd hand? Then it probably was cheap for a reason xD Replacement lights can easily be bought in shops like TamTam and Popondetta.

No, it was brand new... I'll send it back I guess.

Yes, you should. You'll probably get a replacement or have it fixed. It should also be able to get up your grade as well, methinks. Maybe a faulty engine?

Probably the same reason for it's underpowered engine.  My Tomix DD51 and Kato DE10 have same pulling power.

It actually sounds like it has been dropped recently.  Rails and bogies falling off etc.  Could've also damaged lighting/power unit.

post-1782-0-13807100-1408590339_thumb.jpg

post-1782-0-82896800-1408590340_thumb.jpg

Edited by katoftw

Well, this little piggy went to market and returned with:

1. Kato 10-847 Series E259 "Narita Express"
  2. RoundHouse 10-931 Series 651-1000 Style `Swallow Akagi` (7-Car Set)
  3. Kato 2007-1 C57 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive Yamaguchi-Go Type

That'll be the birthday, anniversary, and Christmas gifts! 

• Like 1

The post man dropped another parcel today from MTP. I like E-packet, it's cheaper than EMS, and it's registered, and somehow it feels faster than SAL.

An EXE 30000 4-car set from MA. Can't find the 6-car one, so settled for this instead...

Kato 10-316 Kiha-85 Hida Wide View 7car set~ Always wanted this for a long time so might as well...

And my favourite buses!

The Odakyu Evangelion Bus set number 2 for Hakone!

post-819-0-74862400-1409055145_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-58313600-1409055147_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-37258000-1409055152_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-28967600-1409055155_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-19430400-1409055158_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-31775300-1409055161_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-11535800-1409055164_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-13730900-1409055167_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-54917000-1409055413_thumb.jpg

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 2

Quite true, ,but there is also the Kokuden that doesn't have working front & rear lights... http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/103kei_kokuden.shtml

Those are deliberately so, I guess as they're cheap "beginner" sets (I have two, hah). Being new to all this stuff, it never occurred to me that headlights would be kind of standard. Anyway Yodobashi are exchanging the DE10 for me, if I understand the mail they sent, they'll send me the replacement without waiting for me to send the original back. Such is Japan.

Martijn Meerts

Got my limited edition Tomix 0-series shinkansen yesterday, the one with the lit nose cone. Took a bit for SAL to finally get it to me, and the outer box took quite the beating, but the train itself was in perfect condition :)

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Yep.. Just the outer box it was shipped in, but there was plenty padding inside, so the Tomix box is in perfect condition.

• Like 1

Those are deliberately so, I guess as they're cheap "beginner" sets (I have two, hah). Being new to all this stuff, it never occurred to me that headlights would be kind of standard. Anyway Yodobashi are exchanging the DE10 for me, if I understand the mail they sent, they'll send me the replacement without waiting for me to send the original back. Such is Japan.

good news then.

The original is in the post. Rereading the email, it seems they'll dispatch the replacement once they've been able to check my complaints. Definitely something wrong with that model, apart from the lights there's no way the coupling bits should fall away that easily. Admittedly I'm not the most nimble-fingered of persons, but all I did was pick the loco up to look at the underside, prodded at the coupling bits at one end out of curiosity and suddenly I had 4 or 5 plastic parts in my hand. The same happened when I looked at the other coupling to see how it should all fit together,.

In the meantime I've acquired various other bits, including a fairly random selection of blue coaches from a bargain bin, mainly for experimental purposes to practice things like changing couplings, adding decals and lighting, etc.

Also some Tomix concrete viaduct, as I realised I can run it along the back of the layout-to-be for some Shinkansen-on-Shinkansen action, and still run a line underneath. It's not possible to connect the Kato track adapter directly to these units, hence the lack of integration.

post-1206-0-48837600-1409325933_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

Finally got the Wakayama Tama Train. Also the Tetsuduo Musume Keihan 600, and both the Toyama Chiho and Oigawa variants of the former Keihan 3000 series.

Also some Tomix concrete viaduct, as I realised I can run it along the back of the layout-to-be for some Shinkansen-on-Shinkansen action, and still run a line underneath. It's not possible to connect the Kato track adapter directly to these units, hence the lack of integration.

attachicon.gifcoaches-2014-08-28.jpg

Yes, with the Tomix viaduct supports you can run another track directly under the elevated track. The similar Kato column-and-beam type supports are not designed in a way that allows this.

Rich K.

The original is in the post. Rereading the email, it seems they'll dispatch the replacement once they've been able to check my complaints.

And the replacement is on its way, it seems. Not bad (in fact freakin' amazing compared to some other countries) bearing in mind I only sent off the original late Friday afternoon. Going by past performance I'll have it in my sticky fists some time tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by railsquid

I had to go to Shimokitazawa today for an interview, so I had a chance to drop by the Greenmax Store there to pick up some missing parts. The inventory:

For a Keisei 3500 type:

- Hankyū Minden bogies (2x);

- Tōbu Minden bogies (1x);

- PT43N pantographs (2x because you can never have enough).

Also, I got a Tōkyū 7000 type kit (4 cars) to make a fictional train type for a train related gallery exhibition I'm attending in Yokohama. I'm not sure what to do with it exactly, but I'll be sure to take pictures of the process and so on. ;)

• Like 1

I had to go to Shimokitazawa today for an interview, so I had a chance to drop by the Greenmax Store there to pick up some missing parts.

Interesting, didn't know that was there.

And the replacement is on its way, it seems. Not bad (in fact freakin' amazing compared to some other countries) bearing in mind I only sent off the original late Friday afternoon. Going by past performance I'll have it in my sticky fists some time tomorrow afternoon.

And it did arrive at around the expected time, my thanks to Japan Post and Yodobashi Camera :). Worryingly the front railing fell off as I took the replacement out of the box, but I was able to put it back in place easily enough without the rest of the coupling attachment suddenly dismantling itself, and it has been running happily ever since. And the lights work :)

Meanwhile, I "happened" to pass through Akihabara yesterday and also acquired some bogies:

post-1206-0-17008200-1409750582_thumb.jpg

I am finding out that these couplings are tricky things which come in all different shapes and sizes and quite often need their own specific pockets or even entire bogies. This is for my first even N-gauge car which I purchased 2nd hand four long weeks ago... In the meantime I've found two matching units, one powered, to form a complete set which were also 2nd hand with some totally other kind of coupling. Anyway now I have a (slightly unprototypical) 3-car set available for service. And the head/tail lights work, at least on one end (the other end seems to be missing the actual bulbs completely).

Not Japanese but definitively made in Japan by Toma Model Works. HOn30 scale.

Still under construction, though. Needs a Minitrains chassis to finish it.

Cheers NB

post-283-0-97859600-1409752326_thumb.jpg

Interesting, didn't know that was there.

It's a bit hidden, but not hard to find: http://goo.gl/maps/jtZh2 (look really well for the GreenMax plate on the wall). At the moment, they have the complete range of stock available, except some older things that haven't been re-released and items that sell out really damn quick (Keikyū and Keisei trains for example).