What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

@beakaboy nice, Thomas looks happy!

How growly is the plasser? Also are the internal leds still little suns at runnig voltage and bleed through the sides? 

Just wondering if they have improved on the mechanism since its first release. It’s a nice model!

cheers,

jeff

5 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

@beakaboy nice, Thomas looks happy!

How growly is the plasser? Also are the internal leds still little suns at runnig voltage and bleed through the sides? 

Just wondering if they have improved on the mechanism since its first release. It’s a nice model!

cheers,

jeff

lubing the mech has certainly improved it and running very smooth , but you know when its running due to a whine! its own built in sound card. The lights are still bright, but they were on the real machines when working. The blue tone dosen't look right though. I will probably repaint the model in yellow to match the units that operate here. my friend will be able to make some decals as well. His brother used to service the computer systems on board and also troubleshoot problems

1 hour ago, beakaboy said:

its own built in sound card.

LOL! Didn’t occur to me it’s just sound effect of the real thing! Mine did the same thing of a bad growl to a whine with some lubing. They are noisy buggers in person, although I must admit with all that goes on in a ballast trains of plasser a I’ve seen it was quieter than I would have expected.

My plan is to put current limiting chip and dim the internal lights (and some light shielding) and maybe put a few as bright external lights, but the external lights are only on when at work, not when being driven around I think. Of course a sound decoder in one of these would be cool! Maybe some actuators to make the vibrating ballast fingers go up and down! I’m a sucker for all MOW.

jeff

• Like 1

Ordered:

KATO 24-082 Cherry blossom trees Miniatures

DAUSTAGE - Bamboo Forest Miniatures

Modemo:

NT47 Enoshima Electric Railway Type 1500 Meiji

NT79 Enoshima Electric Railway Type 1500 SKIP II

NT128  Toyohashi Railway Mo780 - Nippon Express

NT129 Kyofuku Electric Ralway Mobo 101 Arashi Police Train

NT 155 Kyofuku Electric Railway Mobo 631 SHINEENO

NT169 Modemo 7703 Blue

NT170 Tokyo Toden 7001 Renewal Red Belt

NT171 Tokyo Toden 7022 Renewal Blue Belt

NT172 Tokyo Toden 7002 Classic Green

TOMIX:

Tomix 97924 Kamaishi Wrapping Train

Tomix 97936 Special Planned Keisei Electric Railway 10th Anniversary Narita Skyliner Sky Access

Tomix DF200 (AiMe)

KATO:

KATO 10-1758 Tokyo Metro Yurakucho/Fukutoshin Line 17000

KATO 10-1834 E353 Azusa Kaiji Basic

KATO Chibi Den PatoDen

MAGAZINES:

RM Models May 2023 (Vol. 332)

BOOKS:

Railway Idol Ito Momo - Odakyu All Station Story

[CONTEMPLATING]

KATO 10-246 885 Series

Edited by kndy
Tony Galiani

Just placed an order with Model Trains Plus and have a bit of sticker shock from the shipping costs.   Looking like US$70 for DHL which was the only option Nariichi currently offers.  Not a deal breaker as his prices are pretty good - he had the lowest price on the Sunrise Express that I came across as well as on the other items I picked up.  I had actually planned not to do too much train shopping on my upcoming trip but thinking of changing those plans!

Ciao,

Tony

Tony MTP told me that DHL is charging a separate fee??? I'll have to check my e mail to him  to be sure what its termed  DHL from hobby search was 30 us last time i ordered from them, that was at the start of them month,,    MTP shipped out EMS to me to save on cost of shipping,

Up until now I've bought locally off the shelf here in Australia, so this is my first order from Japan for trains. These are from RG Rokko.

It's a bunch of series 50 carriages, and from JR Kyushu a class 883 Sonic EMU and lastly the Aso1962, an old Kiha 58 someone let an interior designer into.

530910057_pic2.thumb.jpg.f074b4fe148bd48e246f6504defff1b7.jpg

They were packaged very neatly and securely, which I pretty much what I expected from ordering other stuff from Japan. You might be able to make out in the photos that they added extra foam pieces to stop any wobble in the foam slots.

1782370874_pic1.thumb.jpg.cfd5fcc321bca1088a59bd314094080e.jpg

Last photo is of the two pulled out onto literally all of my straight track. Unfortunately you can probably see here that the Aso1962 isn't doing so well. Not sure exactly what's missing, but it seems the part that connects the bogie on and lets it rotate just isn't there and it fell out when I picked it up. I'll post about this in the other section of the forum for fixing stuff with more pictures in case I can fix this myself. It is now fixed, it was just dislodged and nothing actually broke.

1340881699_pic3.thumb.jpg.2f7cd46f5bc96ff8fa3c0420c8827507.jpg

Edited by Skasaha
  • Like 5

Just put the the shaft back in the motor and pop the bogie back. This is the most common issue when shipping internationally, shocks can dislodge motorized bogies.

Edited by disturbman

Now that I've fixed and finished testing the Kiha 58, I moved onto the 883 Sonic.

I knew the prototype was a tilting train but I didn't actually expect the model to tilt!

799414145_pic8.thumb.jpg.db794e5a5ec289a83b5c6ad151db63c5.jpg

• Like 9
Tony Galiani
On 3/25/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jimbo said:

Tony MTP told me that DHL is charging a separate fee??? I'll have to check my e mail to him  to be sure what its termed  DHL from hobby search was 30 us last time i ordered from them, that was at the start of them month,,    MTP shipped out EMS to me to save on cost of shipping,

I suppose I should have asked him.  When I ordered on line, there was only one shipping option and it never occurred to me to ask.  At least the delivery was quick - I confirmed with Nariichi on Friday and got the order yesterday.  My other orders - this year - Plaza Japan and Hobbysearch - were less expensive so I just assumed it was a price increase.  I will definitely check the next time I order anything!

Cheers,

Tony

All my recent orders have been EMS. A big saving is Canada Post's lower service charge if I am charged taxes versus DHL's fee on every shipment.

Tony Galiani

On the other hand, MTP did not charge any sales tax.  So that helped as well.  Figure this was a wash on my purchase but I will certainly be more careful going forward.

And I am thinking I am going to be forced - yes, forced! - to do more train shopping on my upcoming trip!  Just to save shipping and tax costs!

Tony

Edited by Tony Galiani
left out part of my original note
  • Like 1

Last order a couple of months back from MTP Nariichi offered me EMS and it was better than DHL.

hopefully DHL should not be charging any customs “handling” fees for japan to US, but it appears UPS did for a member recently. But I expect carriers could start trying that as a way to increase revenues without technically raising the rates…

jeff

Tony Galiani

I do have to offer a correction on this.  When I did my order on line the only shipping option was DHL at roughly US$70.  However, I did communicate with Nariichi as there were some other items I wanted that I did not see on his web site and some of the items I requested were out of stock.  The final shipping on my order was about US$45 which was way less than I expected.  I just opened the package this evening and looked at the bill.  So that rate, combined with the low prices and no tax chargers made it a better deal than I may have originally indicated.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2

Kamome arrived yesterday.  They look really good.  A little disappointed Tomix just used a generic foam insert.

Has anyone heard if Tomix has the E8 in their release schedule yet?

60DC0D21-8A31-4417-A420-163A34ED4A17.jpeg

0AF908C7-46D3-46D9-892E-8A08C939D802.jpeg

Edited by Bob Martin

Kinda lost for words on this one. A friend just gave this to me. I didn't want to take it but he insisted.

He was at the Kato Store a few years and he just happened to get it. He just gave it to me. 

I told him its a collector piece......He said take it....

Its a real lesson about giving.

IMG_0383.thumb.jpg.96300f57e65f882cb8a849d375b8f9a1.jpg

Inobu

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Went to Nipponbashi area today looking for buildings and layout materials.

Came home with  a turntable 20-283, roundhouse 23-240, 3x road crossing track 20-027, 90°crossing 20320, 3 different foam inclines and the "how did that get in there" 787 series "Around The Kyushu" 10-1541.

Just wait until she sees the cc bill.

Nice knowing you all.

Looking forward to a big build now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/30/2023 at 3:14 AM, Bob Martin said:

A little disappointed Tomix just used a generic foam insert.

What do you mean? You wanted a “Kamome Kamome Shinkansen Kamome” labelled foam?

Nobody has announced the E8 yet but can expect both Kato and Tomix to announce it.

11 hours ago, disturbman said:

What do you mean? You wanted a “Kamome Kamome Shinkansen Kamome” labelled foam?

The 800 series came with a 6 car foam insert. This 700 series was a 6 car train also. They just lazily used the regular 8 car foam insert this time around. Although not abnormal for Tomix.