What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

A few new additions to the fleet:

Kato 313-1600 3-Car set and a Tomix Koki107. I’ve added some UM9A containers… need a few more to fill it up.

This was my first time buying from RG Rokko. Very classy establishment.

C619582C-A960-4AE0-BE43-22AF7D864345.jpeg

Edited by comeng84
Added text
  • Like 5

Another delivery has been delivered.

Glad it arrived today… I have three orders from Japan and I was worried they would all arrive at the same time. My wife would have questions…

Kato E233-1000 Addon Set B

E1F28229-7B36-41F5-A95D-44D652193FA6.jpeg

• Like 4
9 hours ago, comeng84 said:

My wife would have questions

Ahh the eternal worry of the spouse/partner finding out the investment in Japanese model trains!

jeff

• Haha 3
21 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ahh the eternal worry of the spouse/partner finding out the investment in Japanese model trains!

The following works pretty well for model trains, guns, guitars, etc:

Buy item and sneak into house.  Put on shelf, wall, in safe, etc.  When wife/spouse/GF etc. eventually spies/finds it and asks about it you can truthfully reply:

"Oh, I've had that for a while"

This deflection works well in many cases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
5 hours ago, chadbag said:

The following works pretty well for model trains, guns, guitars, etc:

Buy item and sneak into house.  Put on shelf, wall, in safe, etc.  When wife/spouse/GF etc.

I thought hiding new trains was difficult. Hiding trains, guns and guitars from your wife and girlfriend must need a lot of planning😂

Thankfully my wife has absolutely no interest so rarely notices new acquisitions as long as they don’t turn up in a ridiculously large box with a huge haul. My boys do notice however which can sometimes alert the chief warden. 

• Haha 1

This makes me wonder if there's a women with a model rail hobby that she has to keep hidden from her husband.

I mean, my own mother has a nativity scene collection so big, it makes my N scale collection look like a cheap starter set.

Edited by Giugiaro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

I thought hiding new trains was difficult. Hiding trains, guns and guitars from your wife and girlfriend must need a lot of planning😂

Thankfully my wife has absolutely no interest so rarely notices new acquisitions as long as they don’t turn up in a ridiculously large box with a huge haul. My boys do notice however which can sometimes alert the chief warden. 

I have found that turning the model railway room work-from-home-office into something resembling a chaotic Akihabara second-hand store easily disguises new arrivals. Also working from home in combination with Japanese delivery excellence means I can fine-tune visits from delivery persons to coincide with those times when no-one else is around. (Guns would be a whole other issue though, I imagine acquisition of one or more would be swiftly followed up by a raid by law enforcement and possible incarceration).

Back on topic, this turned up today:

52388564739_589d171858_z.jpg

Tomix "C Type" (blue) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Nothing I actually want or need, it was part of a job lot containing other useful bits'n'pieces, not sure if I want to keep it, though it may amuse the Squidlet.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Kamome said:

Not that hard.  As long as you can get it in the house, you just add it to and mix with the others such that they don't stick out.  They eventually get noticed, which is why you can then say "Oh, I've had that for a while".   As in -- that's not "new" and has been here.  

I mean, a shelf of trains -- add one more in -- who notices it.  Eventually it may get noticed when running on the layout.

Same with a guitar or guns or whatever your hobby-vice is.  Into the collection it goes.  Unless they are also aficionados, they all look the same to non-aficionados who won't immediately pick up the change in the collection, at least at first.

In the sake of marital fidelity and harmony I am not suggesting you lie.  If pressed, full admit to having bought something X weeks/months/years ago.   It is not worth the damage to the relationship to actually lie about things.  Deflection is not lying btw -- you are being fully honest in what you say, as you "have had it for a while".

...don't worry, buy model trains with confidence, at the end, like told my grandpa, the wedding is the principal cause of divorce 😂

fortunately nothing to hide.. just another furniture to buy for the unstored "books" 😒

Ciao!

Massimo

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Kamome said:

Ohh when will they learn they can profit from this knowledge?! Then you are cooked…

3 hours ago, jappomania said:

don't worry, buy model trains with confidence, at the end, like told my grandpa, the wedding is the principal cause of divorce

But a divorce can be very costly (and emotionally costly) compared to the trains and if there is a big pile of trains then the may end up fodder in the settlement! Best happy marriage and reasonable train collection that doesn’t ruin it all!

jeff

Getting this thread back on track...

One year since pre-ordering it has finally arrived. Fresh off the DHL truck from Amazon JP...

9662F346-8C4F-4FC9-9AF2-BAA8AF5497E1.thumb.jpeg.41c4520f12834560adc8881c192eafb4.jpegEDABE5F1-69D1-4238-8BD0-3F5F67DB2234.thumb.jpeg.93ae60cec1b0cfb092faa58992c52dc0.jpeg

everything looks good, shinier than the previous version. A bit of bleed in the doors, but nothing a 0.2mm scribe can’t take care of.

3BB1F46E-081F-4F5E-B648-62253F2AA7FC.thumb.jpeg.07fd8766a3a00e9b4c557544c9d2b0a6.jpeg

Edited by Bob Martin
13 hours ago, Giugiaro said:

This makes me wonder if there's a women with a model rail hobby that she has to keep hidden from her husband.

I mean, my own mother has a nativity scene collection so big, it makes my N scale collection look like a cheap starter set.

My wife once said to me: As long as there is enough money for the household and the family, I can put as much money into my hobby as I want.

Funnily enough, she's always offended when the package isn't for her. But I'll also order for you and then she'll be happier.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Bob Martin said:

Oh, and almost forgot about this one as well. Arrived a few weeks ago...

Did it come with the additional urethane sheet to protect the model instead of bubblefoil or plasticsheet they normally used? Wonder if Tomix changed that.

48 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Did it come with the additional urethane sheet to protect the model instead of bubblefoil or plasticsheet they normally used? Wonder if Tomix changed that.

Yes it came with a top foam protective sheet.

It’s an interesting development, these top protective sheets are normal practice for Taiwanese and Chinese models. Wouldn’t mind for Tomix to move to the Chinese style case, in hard cardboard and with a magnetic flap. They are much nicer than the plastic ones.

• Like 1

Ok, last delivery. For now…

Tomix 98486 J.R Container Train extension. I don’t have one of the Tomix Container Train starters… I specifically got it so I could store my Koki’s in one convenient place. And here is a PSA… you can store an extra Koki in the space dedicated to a loco 😜 

9A167999-862F-4ECE-AAA7-26D5352907CF.jpeg

• Like 6
8 hours ago, lighthouse said:

My wife once said to me: As long as there is enough money for the household and the family, I can put as much money into my hobby as I want.

Sounds like you've got a good wife! I'm not married (yet...) but my family is similarly supportive of my hobby past-times.

Meanwhile back at the ED Depot, a new train has arrived!

IMG_6272.thumb.JPG.2758f048b4533955d86e243cb01995cc.JPG

The Tomix 2247 JR East DE10-1000 diesel hydraulic locomotive and 97949 JR East HoKi 800 ballast hoppers, all courtesy HobbySearch. Since the photos are going to be a little bit big, I'll limit this post to the DE10 and do a follow up post for the HoKi's. This is the first truly fine-scale diesel locomotive I've had, as my now-since departed Kato DD51's were, I suspect, closer to 1:140 than 1:160. And it's a nice piece too! So, let's get it out of all that bubble wrap and out of the box:

IMG_6273.thumb.JPG.42df00904acc96e836163e8734b4c2c1.JPG

I have to admit, I had a 'oh my gosh it's so cute!' moment when I unwrapped this little beauty, which is a reaction I don't often have and last time around was reserved for a (very short) German gondola wagon in H0 scale. While I can't comment on the running qualities yet (stay tuned for Part 2, folks!) the appearance is spot on, and Tomix even included a little weight to give it some extra oomph if you want to raise its pulling power, though be warned you won't be able to gaze at the relief-molded cab interior since the weight fits over the top of that.

This was of course before I set to work with my Side Cutters of Doom to prepare the necessary detail bits like number plates, radio antenna and whistle shrouds, the latter of which proved to be a right pain, even with the supplied 'pusher' tool. I got one on and with a little Tamiya Multipurpose Cement it is staying put (thanks @Kamome for the recommendation!) but the other two decided to join the ranks of Fiddly Little Bits that Go 'Whee!' (And Inevitably Get Lost Forever). Cue the obligatory Zenmarket shopping expedition to find some replacements ...

I swear this only ever happens with Tomix models. It's happened nearly every time I've brought a new Tomix train, with the exception of my 215 and Hikari Rail Star sets which I haven't been tempted to mess with yet. But I'm happy with my little loco, and even happier that I was able to number it as DE10 1654, one of the few DE10's I actually saw during my Japanese holiday in 2019. I'll conclude this with a photo of the real thing taken on 16 May 2019 at Tabata in the company of two EF65's:

IMG_0082.thumb.JPG.e3c0e13d31ab54438427564be226b241.JPG

Alastair

• Like 3
9 hours ago, ED75-775 said:

97949 JR East HoKi 800 ballast hoppers

I also ordered these hoppers. I was planning to make up a ballast train with the 2777 twin packs but this way there’s some modelled loads and the wheels are already blackened. I’ve seen many modellers add some brass wire for the hopper braces as well as paint the inside red/brown.