What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

A delivery from RG-Rokko, wonderfully packed as always and with a free 40th Anniversary pen!

The hardcover book 'History of Steam Locomotives in Detailed Illustration' is an amazing collection of colour rendered drawings and side elevations with dimensions of practically all Japanese steam locomotives.  As I don't read Japanese I will have to ask the experts on this forum if they have any suggestions for a phone app that can translate.  Any help appreciated.

Graeme

DSCF7905.jpeg

DSCF7904.jpeg

DSCF7903.jpeg

• Like 5

Yes, since I've been ordering from them over the last couple of years, at least. They used to do these small, cute erasers but they've been doing the fans now.

• Like 1

A packet from RG Rokko. Tokonami-san has been very helpful with all my purchases for the last half a year, including free storage. After FedEx was added to their shipping options, I decided to try it and have my stock shipped.

Oh what a mistake it was, FedEx Czechia is bad, bad, bad. Communication around customs process was very cumbersome. They delivered the packet 7 days after it was initially planned to be delivered (and ~9 days after DHL would have delivered), and also made me pay the customs and ransom fee in cash even though it was quite a lot of money for one to keep at home. At least the ransom fee was just half of DHL's one. I have some preorders scheduled for November and December, hopefully Japan Post will resume EMS by then; otherwise I'll really consider going with DHL next time despise the higher shipping costs.

Repurposed KATO box 🙂 Includes nice gifts!

jkdfgbjdfg.thumb.jpg.1ef5dc7cea0827e2cf370f7e05de16a4.jpg image.thumb.png.f1b14c33e8942993ccc9056716940a1c.png

Got bunch of turnouts and short track pieces for Kitasanriku Project. I got the safety rail mostly for the buffers in accessories, but maybe I'll use it in some future station. Also managed to score what is probably the last existing E-LED with wooden sleepers in existence 😄 It has been sitting at RGR for a looong time.

image.thumb.png.73449fdc3ef32873f31efa75e7c67cee.png

Rhätische Bahn containers are so cute and nice. Hopefully it is not a start of falling into Koki rabbit hole...

image.thumb.png.e082e8501bd6978fb5f761125f231b27.png

Other various trains. I've been waiting for the anniversary Kiha100 for so long! The transfer sheet from this set includes much more car numbers than the previous ones so I'm thinking about removing numbers from some of my previous cars and applying new ones so I can have all cars assigned to Morioka rolling stock center. Kato 8620 is my first steamer, I'm looking forward to running it.

image.thumb.png.d535c6a6e30fd17e8cba130debacb463.png

Various stuff. Includes my first bus! B-train shorty chassis is going to be used for Iwate Development Railway Kiha kitbashing.

image.thumb.png.b07cf80ab0950eed97cbec802d7cf6ab.png

And finally, the last bit I ordered is the smallest one yet has the largest box... Footbridge piece. Tokonami-san added the rest of the station as a free gift 😄 /s

image.thumb.png.0d0428a3a32a70756be85a9b6298fb39.png

I think I need to stop, otherwise I'm not going to fit into this shelf very soon 😄 Only 

image.thumb.png.aabcbb4b65fbdaecbcc398f3abd64b83.png

As always, RG Rokko provided the best service imaginable. Too bad it was negated a little with the bad FedEx service... Now I'm looking forward to all the activities I can do - layout building, kitbashing, train running! 💜

Edited by katem
  • Like 8
22 hours ago, katem said:

A packet from RG Rokko. Tokonami-san has been very helpful with all my purchases for the last half a year, including free storage. After FedEx was added to their shipping options, I decided to try it and have my stock shipped.

Oh what a mistake it was, FedEx Czechia is bad, bad, bad. Communication around customs process was very cumbersome. They delivered the packet 7 days after it was initially planned to be delivered (and ~9 days after DHL would have delivered), and also made me pay the customs and ransom fee in cash even though it was quite a lot of money for one to keep at home. At least the ransom fee was just half of DHL's one. I have some preorders scheduled for November and December, hopefully Japan Post will resume EMS by then; otherwise I'll really consider going with DHL next time despise the higher shipping costs.

Repurposed KATO box 🙂 Includes nice gifts!

jkdfgbjdfg.thumb.jpg.1ef5dc7cea0827e2cf370f7e05de16a4.jpg image.thumb.png.f1b14c33e8942993ccc9056716940a1c.png

Got bunch of turnouts and short track pieces for Kitasanriku Project. I got the safety rail mostly for the buffers in accessories, but maybe I'll use it in some future station. Also managed to score what is probably the last existing E-LED with wooden sleepers in existence 😄 It has been sitting at RGR for a looong time.

image.thumb.png.73449fdc3ef32873f31efa75e7c67cee.png

Rhätische Bahn containers are so cute and nice. Hopefully it is not a start of falling into Koki rabbit hole...

image.thumb.png.e082e8501bd6978fb5f761125f231b27.png

Other various trains. I've been waiting for the anniversary Kiha100 for so long! The transfer sheet from this set includes much more car numbers than the previous ones so I'm thinking about removing numbers from some of my previous cars and applying new ones so I can have all cars assigned to Morioka rolling stock center. Kato 8620 is my first steamer, I'm looking forward to running it.

image.thumb.png.d535c6a6e30fd17e8cba130debacb463.png

Various stuff. Includes my first bus! B-train shorty chassis is going to be used for Iwate Development Railway Kiha kitbashing.

image.thumb.png.b07cf80ab0950eed97cbec802d7cf6ab.png

And finally, the last bit I ordered is the smallest one yet has the largest box... Footbridge piece. Tokonami-san added the rest of the station as a free gift 😄 /s

image.thumb.png.0d0428a3a32a70756be85a9b6298fb39.png

I think I need to stop, otherwise I'm not going to fit into this shelf very soon 😄 Only 

image.thumb.png.aabcbb4b65fbdaecbcc398f3abd64b83.png

As always, RG Rokko provided the best service imaginable. Too bad it was negated a little with the bad FedEx service... Now I'm looking forward to all the activities I can do - layout building, kitbashing, train running! 💜

Nice haul @katem! The 8620 is a nice model, it's one of my personal favourites. Oh, and get ready for the RhB stuff to take over. It's kind of started to do that with my collection...

IMG_6114.thumb.JPG.d1bcf356e126836ba008fea2fb643863.JPG

Anyway, you know how I was joking about claiming to be safe last week? Welp, I couldn't even make it a week before something turned up on my doorstep!

Having recently sold my Hokutosei DD51s and coaches, plus a spare SuYu 44 postal wagon, I decided I needed something a bit more *appropriate* as a replacement for the now-departed items. Mandarake Akihabara offered something for that.

IMG_6116.thumb.JPG.992e654908ff0461b91fda6f13c2b60e.JPG IMG_6120.thumb.JPG.f6d5f23d036035b7aa85dc72ee17de8f.JPG

And here it is! The Kato 2018-1 D51 'Slug', cost with DHL postage all up ¥11,800 (¥9,000 purchase plus ¥2,800 postage cost). Following my tradition of giving steam locomotives the same number they bear in catalog illustrations, this one has taken the identity of Kisha Seizo-built D51 17. This locomotive spent nearly twenty years based at Ichinohe depot (on what is now the Iwate Galaxy Railway) between June 1949 and October 1967 according to my Tohoku depot book, but I haven't been able to find out where it entered service, or whether it continued in service beyond October 1967. For once, Japanese Wikipedia has let me down!

I have to say, I love the look of this model. I am starting to see why some people have fallen in love with these unusual-looking machines. I only ever saw two 'slugs' during my trip, and both were in Kyoto: the superbly well-kept D51 1 at the Kyoto Railway Museum, and the less well-kept D51 51 at the Saga-Arashiyama Station of the Sagano Scenic Railway. Here's one of my photos of D51 51 from my second visit to Saga-Arashiyama on 28 May 2019, in a position that didn't make it easy to get a photo of the full locomotive:

IMG_3499.thumb.JPG.aa417f168056fb94f70519b02501b5cc.JPG

I shall have to seek out more D51's in both full and model sizes when I go back to Japan, hopefully next year.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:20 PM, SL-san said:

As I don't read Japanese I will have to ask the experts on this forum if they have any suggestions for a phone app that can translate.  Any help appreciated.

Graeme, you might like to give Papago a try. I installed it on my iPod in 2019, and while I didn't use it often while in Japan, I have found it invaluable with some of my Tomix catalogues and more recently my Tohoku depot book. Some of the translations can be a bit kooky, for instance it translated Ichinohe as 'Three Houses'! But it is otherwise very helpful. Incidentally, does Rokko have any more copies of this book available? You've got me wanting one now!

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775
Correcting pix locations
  • Like 6
Yavaris Forge

I did some research @ED75-775 and got some results on the locomotive database http://d51498.com/db/D51/D5117 (Japanese VPN is recommended, also a live translator)

D51 17 was built in 1936 by Kisha Seizo and stayed most of it's early career at Nagamachi Ward (1936 - 1947). After a six-year detour to Morioka it relocated to Ichinohe where it stayed until 1968. The log gets vague then, stating it must have left for Morioka some time in late '68 as one of the last SLs from Ichinohe. Most likely it was scrapped either in Dec.'68 or Jan.'69

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, ED75-775 said:

Nice haul @katem! The 8620 is a nice model, it's one of my personal favourites. Oh, and get ready for the RhB stuff to take over. It's kind of started to do that with my collection...

IMG_6114.thumb.JPG.d1bcf356e126836ba008fea2fb643863.JPG

Anyway, you know how I was joking about claiming to be safe last week? Welp, I couldn't even make it a week before something turned up on my doorstep!

Having recently sold my Hokutosei DD51s and coaches, plus a spare SuYu 44 postal wagon, I decided I needed something a bit more *appropriate* as a replacement for the now-departed items. Mandarake Akihabara offered something for that.

IMG_6116.thumb.JPG.992e654908ff0461b91fda6f13c2b60e.JPG IMG_6120.thumb.JPG.f6d5f23d036035b7aa85dc72ee17de8f.JPG

And here it is! The Kato 2018-1 D51 'Slug', cost with DHL postage all up ¥11,800 (¥9,000 purchase plus ¥2,800 postage cost). Following my tradition of giving steam locomotives the same number they bear in catalog illustrations, this one has taken the identity of Kisha Seizo-built D51 17. This locomotive spent nearly twenty years based at Ichinohe depot (on what is now the Iwate Galaxy Railway) between June 1949 and October 1967 according to my Tohoku depot book, but I haven't been able to find out where it entered service, or whether it continued in service beyond October 1967. For once, Japanese Wikipedia has let me down!

I have to say, I love the look of this model. I am starting to see why some people have fallen in love with these unusual-looking machines. I only ever saw two 'slugs' during my trip, and both were in Kyoto: the superbly well-kept D51 1 at the Kyoto Railway Museum, and the less well-kept D51 51 at the Saga-Arashiyama Station of the Sagano Scenic Railway. Here's one of my photos of D51 51 from my second visit to Saga-Arashiyama on 28 May 2019, in a position that didn't make it easy to get a photo of the full locomotive:

IMG_3499.thumb.JPG.aa417f168056fb94f70519b02501b5cc.JPG

I shall have to seek out more D51's in both full and model sizes when I go back to Japan, hopefully next year.

Graeme, you might like to give Papago a try. I installed it on my iPod in 2019, and while I didn't use it often while in Japan, I have found it invaluable with some of my Tomix catalogues and more recently my Tohoku depot book. Some of the translations can be a bit kooky, for instance it translated Ichinohe as 'Three Houses'! But it is otherwise very helpful. Incidentally, does Rokko have any more copies of this book available? You've got me wanting one now!

Alastair

Alastair, thanks for the suggestion.  I have been using Translate on Google Lens with my iPhone and getting generally acceptable translations (with a weird translation every now and then) for text in the "Steam Locomotive to enjoy N Gauge" book.  You might send an email to RG-Rokko (they are very helpful) to check if they have another copy of "History of Steam Locomotives in Detailed Illustration". 

Graeme

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Yavaris Forge said:

I did some research @ED75-775 and got some results on the locomotive database http://d51498.com/db/D51/D5117 (Japanese VPN is recommended, also a live translator)

D51 17 was built in 1936 by Kisha Seizo and stayed most of it's early career at Nagamachi Ward (1936 - 1947). After a six-year detour to Morioka it relocated to Ichinohe where it stayed until 1968. The log gets vague then, stating it must have left for Morioka some time in late '68 as one of the last SLs from Ichinohe. Most likely it was scrapped either in Dec.'68 or Jan.'69

Thanks Yavaris, good to know the history of the prototype. The website worked fine from here in New Zealand, so I had a bit of a hunt around and looked at some of the other locomotive records in there too. That could be a very useful resource in future!

Alastair

Just ordered the Tomix 98786 Kintetsu Railway Series 80000 (Hinotori 8 Cars Configuration) 8 Cars Set (N scale)

from PJ.

Happy day.

Dave

• Like 1

Just some additional foliage arrived from Hobbysearch after someone on the discord pointed out they also have "yellow" (two pack top right) and "brown" (two pack top left) as I only owned "gold" and "red" (wich I also replenished while being at it, the two bottom packs).

Also some figures because well postage and such.

PXL_20220829_142545975.MP.jpg

• Like 4

My tram track order from Hobby Search arrived today. One week for an order involving an item to be restocked is great. DHL shipping.

So what we have is 2 x Tomix 91084 Stone Pavement Mini Rail Basic Set (R140, R177), 1 x Tomix 1789 Green Tramway, 1 x Tomix 1794 S70 stone pavement track plus some extra Greenmax 2138 Sidewalks.

IMG_8952  1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 9

Walked into a bar.  Actually into my kitchen this afternoon.

Received today from Plaza Japan.  5 days to get to me.

Kato Hiroshima Railway Type 1001, 14-804-5.

Tomytec 100th Anniversary Koihime Wrapping Bus.

Popondetta 8207 HINO S'ELEGA Willer Express 'Star Fighter' Die-cast Model.

3651 DPP RS 3.JPG

3665 DPP RS 2.JPG

3670 DPP RS 2.JPG

• Like 9

So some trains from a fellow JNS Forum Member that he wants to part with arrived today, yay !

Now all thats left to arrive are a package from RG-R, Hobbysearch and a few from Buyee. This is a busy September.

PXL_20220901_132850997.MP.jpg

PXL_20220901_132551759.MP.jpg

• Like 9

It took customs 34 days to follow the order to dispatch the parcel from the tributary and customs authority.

It finally arrived:

645203841_rn_image_picker_lib_temp_213990e1-5b6f-4e45-ba5a-385d1dcdfda91.thumb.jpg.a29c09b76eba9fd95e007e0a39c48820.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Pikachu he looks pretty sleepy after the long trip! 

my wife recently had some yarn from Austria get stuck at customs/postal handoff in Jersey city for weeks. There are no duties on yard (few things here have much duties usually jsut more of a formality). Postal services said nothing is wrong as its policy is they have 45 business days to deliver once it hits us. She finally emailed our US house representative to just question why they would have a policy to allow packages to take up to 2 months to be delivered w.in the us, not for direct help with her package. But the rep’s staff sent in a trace request (postal service here says only sender can issue a trace) and voila it showed up in a few days after sitting in Jersey city for over 4 weeks. Amazing their office was willing to spend 5 minutes on such a small constituent thing.

jeff

• Like 3
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Pikachu he looks pretty sleepy after the long trip! 

my wife recently had some yarn from Austria get stuck at customs/postal handoff in Jersey city for weeks. There are no duties on yard (few things here have much duties usually jsut more of a formality). Postal services said nothing is wrong as its policy is they have 45 business days to deliver once it hits us. She finally emailed our US house representative to just question why they would have a policy to allow packages to take up to 2 months to be delivered w.in the us, not for direct help with her package. But the rep’s staff sent in a trace request (postal service here says only sender can issue a trace) and voila it showed up in a few days after sitting in Jersey city for over 4 weeks. Amazing their office was willing to spend 5 minutes on such a small constituent thing.

jeff

A responsive congressional office.  Yay.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that the midterms are in two months.

Dave

Arrived Thursday from Plaza Japan.  Put the cars on the layout this afternoon.

Tomix 98786 Kintetsu Railway Series 80000 (Hinotori 8 Cars Configuration) 8 Cars Set.

Tomytec Track Maintenance Worker, Ningen 131.

Dave

3692 DPP RS.JPG

3689 DPP RS.JPG

3690 DPP RS.JPG

3703 DPP RS.JPG

Edited by Dave K
Minor edit.
  • Like 8
15 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Postal services said nothing is wrong as its policy is they have 45 business days to deliver once it hits us.

The postal service said they had to deliver within 10 business days once clearance was given.
Supposedly, I should have the customs service fee reimbursed. Which at 2€ isn't really worth the hassle.

I'd be at DHL/UPS's neck instead, if they were the ones delivering, since they charge WAY MORE.

Edited by Giugiaro

So, as RG-R, Hobbysearch AND two rather large packages of Buyee insanity happen to hit all my destination today, its a rather early christmas here.

Also pardon my puny attemts to photoshop it all in one picture XD

Full_Haul.jpg

• Like 10

Which one of you guys will be the first one to order a container of Kato, Tomix, Tomytec and Greenmax? Oh!!! Wait! The container might be bigger than some of the small shops in Japan like RG Rokko or Model Train Plus.   😀   😎

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4