What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Latest goodness from Nariichi San! A Tomytec Nankai Series 1000 "SUMIKKO GURASHI" (6 cars set) and all the Tomytec trimmings to run it. looks like a special run as I didn’t notice it being sold elsewhere. 

jeff

EA8AFDAA-F8E0-4E55-920D-487E527E1250.jpeg

• Like 6
disturbman
16 hours ago, katem said:

It includes a 8620, seems too fragile to me for a Surface voyage. Also a DMU set, a Greenmax Ballast Regulator and some chassis(es?). 

It's more of a question of how comfortable you are shipping these the long way. I would probably be hesitant shipping something like the 8620 the first time around. But I never had issues.

13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

A Tomytec Nankai Series 1000 "SUMIKKO GURASHI" (6 cars set) and all the Tomytec trimmings to run it. looks like a special run as I didn’t notice it being sold elsewhere.

I think Plaza and Ami  had them too, but I can't guarantee. Are you getting the upcoming Rapi:t and 7100 liveried with these, too?

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, disturbman said:

I think Plaza and Ami  had them too, but I can't guarantee. Are you getting the upcoming Rapi:t and 7100 liveried with these, too?

I think it's one of those 'For sale in Japan ONLY' sets, as you probably wouldnt be able to see these in the mian retailers. I'm sure you can still get them if you ask nicely to our Japan retailers like MTP and RG ~

@cteno4 Jeff i think you REALLY need to get this along with this, they'll look SO NICE together!! 

5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Jeff i think you REALLY need to get this along with this, they'll look SO NICE together!! 

6 hours ago, disturbman said:

do pigeons crap? Do pigs grunt? Do dogs bark? 😜

Both have been on preorder since announced… one of the very few trains sets ordered last year. Going to hit the wallet this year though!

jeff

On 5/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, cteno4 said:

Latest goodness from Nariichi San! A Tomytec Nankai Series 1000 "SUMIKKO GURASHI" (6 cars set) and all the Tomytec trimmings to run it. looks like a special run as I didn’t notice it being sold elsewhere. 

jeff

What are these Summikko Gurashi"? I have a SG Tokyo subway train, which I love. I bought it cuz I just thought it looked cute. But I have no idea what they are. And when I look close, I'm not sure I like the little critters. I know I can look them up, but can you give me a quick TLDR?

• Like 1
lighthouse

With a lot of luck i found a 1/144 model for my Duck-Under module scenery (IG-Nippon modules) like the north end of Naval Air Facility Atsugi.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 18.43.36.jpeg

• Like 6

won this unit on a local auction site. It is a Greenmax chassis with 18A underneath. runs well. just needs traction tyres of which i have plenty. can anyone give me more info on the  chassis unit or a link?  thanks      

image.thumb.png.dd0888d2e73197c8c2197ce3e52c0d35.png

• Like 2

Looks like it might be the same as this one: https://aucfree.com/items/q417797752

Going off a quick perusal of the other search results, It may have once been the power unit from an Endo Hankyu set.

The body shell looks suspisciously like a British Railways Class 47 aka Brush Type 4.

3 hours ago, railsquid said:

Looks like it might be the same as this one: https://aucfree.com/items/q417797752

Going off a quick perusal of the other search results, It may have once been the power unit from an Endo Hankyu set.

The body shell looks suspisciously like a British Railways Class 47 aka Brush Type 4.

thanks squid. can't access the link. 403 forbidden. 

Edited by beakaboy
9 hours ago, railsquid said:

I think It might've actually been sourced from an older Keikyū model, rather than a Hankyū model. From what I could decipher from @beakaboy's picture, the chassis in question seem to be fitted with Kawasaki OK type bogies, OK-18 series bogies to be specific, while the power unit in your example is fitted with S-Minden type bogies. Hankyū never used OK type bogies (to my knowledge), but they did indeed use Sumitomo built, Minden bogies as can be seen in your example.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/川崎車輌OK形台車#/media/ファイル:OK-18_198602.jpg

-> Kawasaki OK-18 series bogie on a (1st generation) Keikyū 1000 type car. Note the linkage between the primary suspension and the bogie frame, as well as the downwards facing secondary suspension, with the damper mounted vertically.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/阪急7000系電車#/media/ファイル:Hankyu7123daisya.jpg

-> Sumitomo FS369A, S-Minden series truck on a Hankyū 7000 series car, note the extremely thin stabilization arms and the damper fitted between the bogie transom and the car body.

I believe Keikyū is the only railroad to have ever used this type of bogie, with certain 600 (1st gen), and 800->1000 (1st gen) type cars being fitted with them. The layout and shape of the underfloor equipment also corresponds to the way Tōyō Denki laid out their ES-560 (and up) based electric camshaft controllers, with the resistor bank on the right matching similar car equipped with Tōyō Denki electrical equipment (think Keihan 2000/2200/2400/2600 series, 6000 series etc.). As more than half of all Keikyū 600 (700) and 1000 type cars were fitted with Tōyō Denki supplied electrical equipment and running gear (the others used Mitsubishi ABF based controllers and running gear), this might (and I highly stress the might part) be a match for your "model". Whether this is correctly reflected in the model or generic is always the question (the Hankyū chassis shown above uses the same resistor and main controller layout, though Kyōto line cars were generally fitted with Tōyō Denki gear, a remnant of its Shin-Keihan heritage) and it may even have been a mismatch of different parts before it gave its life to become part of that for all we know. As to what that means for the modelling side, I leave that to my betters.

So in short you, are the proud owner of the only, electric powered, camshaft controlled, hollow-shaft parallel cardan fitted Class 47 in existence (which can't move because its missing half of the needed equipment). So I wonder, will it be fitted with a pantograph, or will she shed her shell and morph into the beautiful Keikyū car she was always meant to be, which will it be?🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 5/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, cteno4 said:

jeff

EA8AFDAA-F8E0-4E55-920D-487E527E1250.jpeg

That is cool.  I'd like to find this if I wasn't on Moratorium.   I do have (from long ago) the KATO Yamanote Sumikko Gurashi train got special dispensation this year due to a bonus at work so have the Nankai Rapi:t Sumikko Gurashi on order.

Very nice Jeff!

On 5/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, cteno4 said:

Made up little critters that have different personalities. Started with just products but now movies and multiheaded beast like others. I just go them as they looked cute and nice art. Im also a sucker for the rapi’t!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumikko_Gurashi

jeff

My daughter was (is) crazy about Sumikko Gurashi.  Spends most of her spending money on it when we are in Japan.  And you are now seeing it here in the states.  Barnes and Noble has had various SG plushies (stuffed animals) available recently and I've seen them at a few other US stores as well.

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1

E4 Max showed up in my office today! 😃

Somehow I convinced myself to buy a second one via RG Rokko as well as the E3 in the old livery...  mistakes were made on my finances.....😬

20220526_182602.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Had some silverware show up today. 

I wish MA had access to some finer silver paint. Next to each other the flecks in the Laview’s paint looks a little oversized compared to the Kanmon tunnel locos. Not terrible but Kato’s clearly looks better. 

Anyway, the highlight is the EF81 300 which I’ve waited about 10 years for since I first bought my JNR 24 series Fuji.  Should have probably ordered 4 as I live close to Moji.

Both the EF30 and EF81 come with the longer shank knuckle couplers but thankfully I had some short and short magnetic ones. 

68A4F1A8-E8C8-4C9C-9B78-BDE5B3663088.jpeg

• Like 7

Reservations of Kiha 261 + Kiha 54 from the end of last month arrived + I got some magazines and Hogarakadou containers also:

image.thumb.png.af1dc1dcfdacb802ce2372b7c98856c0.png

image.thumb.png.555dff2f4492b24e62287bf3e1ed79f9.png

• Like 8

Yay, deliveries for this month starting for me too with HS delivery arriving and some local purchases, namely a bunch of foliage, DCC decoders, Tons of Gm couplers to convert literally all my cars, a few Traffic Signs, Paperkit houses, Containers and the EVA 02/08 EMUs from Tomytec.

PXL_20220602_112229951.MP.jpg

• Like 4

Been a while (again!), I seem to spend more time just observing and then launching enthusiastically into things again. Case in point, check out my latest haul in H0 scale. Not really relevant to this discussion, I hear you say? Post something in N scale? Fine, fine...

Sitting here at the bottom of the world (well, New Zealand, anyway!) I received the latest Hobbysearch newsletter detailing upcoming trains. One item that takes my eye: the November re-release Kato Tokaido/Ueno-Tokyo E233-3000. Hmmm, now where have I seen those before?

IMG_0150.thumb.JPG.51dedb82eb334b53c86b7d641485bf4a.JPG

A quick rummage through my Tokyo photos on my iPod Touch reveals this specimen sliding into Oku on 17 May 2019. OK, seen those, ridden on those, it can't be the one that Kato offers, can it? That's when I found another photo from just before boarding...

IMG_0152.thumb.JPG.fb81e930037a5a0fc2f29c8ab5b7becc.JPG

Oh buffers, it is! One 10-1267 now on preorder and I may add the additional cars on later for prototypical effect. Personally, I'm kind of thrilled to have another train on order that I can say I've seen or in this case ridden on (Oku to Ueno). The other two, of course, being my JR West 103 series and Keihan 800 series which I have previously posted photos of elsewhere in this thread.

Alastair

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ED75-775 said:

OK, seen those, ridden on those, it can't be the one that Kato offers, can it? That's when I found another photo from just before boarding...

Best reason to order! 

• Haha 1

Last run DD51 set came in along with the Kato WaMu set:

may2022.thumb.JPG.4168d703141fcb59018be2b66700c01d.JPG

If you're thinking about ordering the DD51 set but balking at the price (it's my favorite Japanese locomotive so this wasn't an issue for me) here are some points:

-The DD51 in the set is the best one Tomix has done. The details are pretty much 100% true to the prototype 1801 and it seems like the cab and hoods have been reworked to make them easier to remove so can glue the number plates in from behind. Also the signal flare is no now a two-piece affair with a black base that need to have holes drilled but to get one of the better guides Tomix has made to do it. Just take out the windows first.

-If you don't care about it as a last run set it is a GREAT set if you want to get into JR freight. Buying all these KoKis and containers separately would probably double the cost plus some of them (UH17s, the UT3, the various different ISO tank containers) are probably only available in kit form so there would be some tedious painting and decaling. Also you can pretty much make two trains out of this if you wanted, just get another KoKi with tail lights or put reflectors on it for the second train.

-This is probably one of the best packaged and presented sets I've seen. All the containers are different numbers, paint is crisp, everything was carefully packed to ensure it wouldn't get damaged. The containers are also in the correct order in their sleeves so adding them on is easy. The pamphlet is well made too with pictures of every car and multiple pictures of 1801 in action. Also there's a foam insert that goes on top of both sets of cars to keep them from moving around inside the bookcase which is good considering how delicate ISO tank containers can be.

Overall if you're on the fence I recommend it. The price hurts, believe me I know but you get a really good value for it. Also hopefully Tomix does more UH17s and the other ISO tank containers separate, they're generally underrepresented. 

The Kato WaMus are WaMus. At least now I have a respectable size train of them.  

Edited by nah00
  • Like 12