What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

1 hour ago, railsquid said:

These have a nice little "Easter egg" - if you press firmly on the driving car's leading bogie pin, the front pops open with a "ding!" to reveal a tiny, slightly steaming konbini obento.

Can you show us ? 

JM

1 hour ago, JR East said:

I've abandoned Kato leds for the HKTILC solution. Big choice of light temperature, no flickering with the advanced version, better balance of light as leds are spread to the whole length of the lighting bar. I'm currently waiting the delivery for my Odoriko trainset. 

JM 

Hello,

Ah very interesting, I did not know this solution. It does indeed seem promising! I will look at the terms and delivery times.

A reference to advise me for my Kato passenger cars?

1 hour ago, JR East said:

I've abandoned Kato leds for the HKTILC solution. Big choice of light temperature, no flickering with the advanced version, better balance of light as leds are spread to the whole length of the lighting bar. I'm currently waiting the delivery for my Odoriko trainset. 

The normal Odoriko I hope? The ones you linked do not fit on the Saphir Odoriko.

9 minutes ago, Matthieu said:

A reference to advise me for my Kato passenger cars?

It's too specific to tell you which lights fit on which KATO cars as not all of the HKTILC lights fit on all cars, and the light temperature also differs per car in real life. Best is to ask this/find this out on a per-train basis.

1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

The normal Odoriko I hope? The ones you linked do not fit on the Saphir Odoriko.

yes,

For the Saphir Odoriko, I've replaced Kato's leds by those ones: https://hktilc.com/product/TRTixtBscvxjNtqK

I've ordered warm white leds and I'm waiting the 'bulb' to be available for ordering as warm white is too white for 2 cars in my Saphir Odoriko set. 

See the related topic here 

JM

Edited by JR East
Add info & typos
On 12/7/2021 at 5:32 AM, JR East said:

yes,

For the Saphir Odoriko, I've replaced Kato's leds by those ones: https://hktilc.com/product/TRTixtBscvxjNtqK

I've ordered warm white leds and I'm waiting the 'bulb' to be available for ordering as warm white is too white for 2 cars in my Saphir Odoriko set. 

See the related topic here 

JM

I just ordered a whole slew of the warm white LEDs for my 2 Nozomi shinkansens and the saphir as well. Lets see how long it will take to ship to Canada, but Im not complaining since the shipping cost is only about $11CAD. 

More of JR West fleet, i think i'm almost getting there with the West fleet ~ 

20211208_170026.thumb.jpg.8606b815cdd34e08b4abd853481cf5f5.jpg

20211208_170033.thumb.jpg.c77d48fbfe1bf9b60fedc472f1aefccf.jpg

20211208_170053.thumb.jpg.0c397879d573b93cd8ce1cc0655b55c3.jpg

20211208_170137.thumb.jpg.08d24bd807f9fb1a5eb2ff1e086ef476.jpg

20211208_170156.thumb.jpg.71c1e4e316e63738207886bfe8786261.jpg

20211208_170239.thumb.jpg.fb242568b94d5560f216607180d8746c.jpg

Why does the 321 series seems SO attractive to me now..... 

20211208_170721.thumb.jpg.e0a77534155ae64d070f649d4f159dbf.jpg

20211208_170759.thumb.jpg.d6dabe0de2fd50a06c4c654a873b2b6f.jpg

20211208_170841.thumb.jpg.b50e3ae4fce0ec30f3f976b427715b34.jpg

Yeah the fall protector thingys are missing, but heck i wouldnt pay more than double to get those small little parts... maybe i'll be able to use the spare ones from the 223s and 225s... or even the 521s....

• Like 5
7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

More of JR West fleet, i think i'm almost getting there with the West fleet ~

I'm curious, what's your collection strategy? Are you confined to a region, or time? Or are you just buying what pleases your eye?

• Like 1

I finally ran the two 700 Shinkansens together. I like them both. They both run well at (estimated) scale speed. The Kato will go a lot over scale speed, faster than the Tomix, but that's not relevant. Both are smooth at all speeds.

Aesthetically I like the Kato better. To my eye it's more convincing, and less "plastic" looking. I actually like the look of the Kato car gaps better. I think that's just a personal preference, nothing objective.

Functionally, the Tomix couplers are annoying to couple. You have to line up the couplers carefully, and there are many failed attempts, but it's not a huge deal.

I'm really not convinced about the "all wheel pickup" of the Tomix. I don't seen any evidence that it's more juiced than that Kato. But with dirty wheels or track, who knows.

Bottom line - I like them both 🙂

kxMBnpu.jpg

y2YjcYy.jpg

4FAtScY.jpg

• Like 10
10 hours ago, gavino200 said:

I'm curious, what's your collection strategy? Are you confined to a region, or time? Or are you just buying what pleases your eye?

Actually it's been pretty bizarre... 

Firstly it was anything that pleases my eye when i first started. and it started going haywire 

Then i tried refining regions, like NO JR Hokkaido and Shikoku. That didnt work too well 

Then i tried selling the least fav region trains for funding and reduction of roster. that also didnt work too well 

So now i'm just trying to keep to JR fleets, with only 2 Pte railways (Odakyu for East and Kintetsu for West), and maybe a couple of beautifully painted trains from other PTE rails that i just couldnt resist... 

As for time, modern ones tend to attract me more... Or those that are currently running in service... 

It's hard justifying the strategy since basically it's just like finding excuses for myself hahaha why did you give me such a tough question....  😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sammy really has no rhyme or reason for his collection strategy.  If someone in here is into research and analytics, we have at least 10 years of data and we can look back on this thread which 50% of the posts are from Sammy - we might be able to find a pattern in his buying behavior.  

• Haha 2

I seem to remember @JR 500系 selling off a lot of JR West. 

We should all lay off Sammy a little though. We should perhaps be thanking him for helping keep the costs of Japanese n gauge down through his buying strategy.

• Haha 3
21 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I seem to remember @JR 500系 selling off a lot of JR West. 

We should all lay off Sammy a little though. We should perhaps be thanking him for helping keep the costs of Japanese n gauge down through his buying strategy.

I was going to say that, I do recall Sammy selling his JR West Trains.  Actually, I think I sold him a Roundhouse 223 set a while a go. 😀

12 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Who needs strategy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only collect models of prototypes that I have rode on before. Exceptions to the rule are trams, freight trains, and subway stock with novel features.

• Like 1

Wahaha i'm so glad you guys know me so well~  🙂

2 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

I was going to say that, I do recall Sammy selling his JR West Trains.  Actually, I think I sold him a Roundhouse 223 set a while a go. 😀

That is correct bro! Kinda regreted selling it away though, and now re-buying it again... 

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

CHAOS theory with Sammy, except for busses, he just simply collects them all.

jeff

That is right Jeff, along with my contribution to Japan's economy ~ 🙂

i give myself the excuse of the newer West fleet trains having the fall protection thingies hence i should get them hahaha... And now i'm slapping myself again for trying to get a 683 Thunderbird (which i also sold away), a 287 Kounotori (which i also sold away), and more Roundhouse 223s and 225s to mimic the Kansai Airport/ Kishuji express trains... 

• Like 1
On 12/9/2021 at 6:19 PM, gavino200 said:

I'm trying to purchase the trains I've rode + some sets I find beautiful (pure subjective approach, like Odoriko, Saphir Odoriko) for passengers trains and trams but Shinkansen (don't know really why, probably because they have lots of cars and too long for my mountable / dismoutable rails)

For the freight, it's more a cherry picking based on locs and wagons I like

Anyway, I'm modern-oriented, thus, no oldies (but EF66 to come). 

JM

Edited by JR East
typos
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, gavino200 said:

If it ran (or plausibly ran) past Gotanda Station between the 90s and 2006-7ish it gets in the fleet.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, quarxilon said:

I only collect models of prototypes that I have rode on before. Exceptions to the rule are trams, freight trains, and subway stock with novel features.

Yeah, I remember I had that cunning plan when I started out...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Aesthetically I like the Kato better. To my eye it's more convincing, and less "plastic" looking.

The color might be playing a role, the Tomix looks to be pure white in your pictures, whereas the Kato is off-white. Is the difference prototypical?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, railsquid said:

Yeah, I remember I had that cunning plan when I started out...

These days the strategy is "does it or did it ever run on the Chuo Line or neighbouring lines, and random stuff which takes my fancy".

This is from the first part of the strategy:

51738145745_4cb1e81fe0_z.jpg

Shinano Micro ED15 (ED15-1) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

as the prototype was based at Hachioji from 1932.

• Like 3