What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

6 hours ago, Matthieu said:

What to take care of, lighting, seated travelers, weathering, driving team, etc .

Don’t forget about colour scale when you’re painting figures. You see a lot of very brightly pre painted figures, Noch I’m talking about you! The colour at this viewing distance would be more subdued for a realistic looking model.  My pet peeve is a nice looking weathered train and then bright red, blue, green and yellow passengers looking likes its Mardi gras. As the size decreases, so would the reflected colour and contrast of shadows.

As for fitting crew, some Kato engines have drivers seats moulded into the metal chassis. It makes adding a seated driver more challenging. I had this issue with one of my Kato C57s. I also find the fireman sometimes catches on the coal scoop on the front of the tender when I try and put it back in the box. Just a couple of issues to consider but they do look nice with crew.

I’m envious of your 8620. I’ve been focussing on a number of long awaited HO acquisitions due to consistent reproduction runs over the last few years. I’ve neglected my N scale a little and this is certainly one I missed out on. Hopefully another run will occur at some point but very nice loco.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, JR 500系 said:

Next one to join the JR West fleet:

20211123_084958.thumb.jpg.514c3956578d553614afe300fb1806f9.jpg

20211123_085547.thumb.jpg.aadaf9dc79f86ba2e6e2763aeb3828e7.jpg

The Full 7-car set.

Nice that you managed to grab that! I was looking for this set too!!

Instead I had to settle for the E261 Safir Ltd edition full set  😏

Edited by disturbman
condensed the quote
  • Like 2

First of three packages arrived today... (Or maybe it's the third of three, since I ordered it last, and DHL got it here first, even beating the other package I ordered a week earlier, also from HobbySearch... Not sure what DHL was up to there.)

I had a large order at HobbySearch that I split into two since shipping worked out cheaper, even after factoring brokerage fees. And then I had to maximize shipping value so I added a bunch of stuff to each order, and some how that makes sense in my mind as "saving money", while actually spending considerably more...

What your seeing here is Christmas/birthday gifts for my daughters on the left, and some miscellaneous train bits on the right. These will be my first Sankei kits, so that will be fun to try out.

IMG_20211201_141202713_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cplchanb said:

nice that you managed to grab that! I was looking for this set too!!

Instead I had to settle for the E261 Safir Ltd edition full set  😏

Yap the 207-1000 series is getting rare and i was glad i could clinch the last set from RG~  🙂 It's a real beauty! The E261 is really nice too and in its own class, great purchase!

3 hours ago, James-SNMB said:

What your seeing here is Christmas/birthday gifts for my daughters on the left, and some miscellaneous train bits on the right. These will be my first Sankei kits, so that will be fun to try out.

What an amazing dad... look at all those Tomicas!!!! Your daughters will have a great christmas!!! Have fun with the Sankei kits too, their a nice build!

• Like 1

@roadstar_na6, @JR 500系, haha thanks. I may have over-bought... I'm also fully aware that I'm pushing my favourite things on them, and I'll probably have to ease up now and see how interested they really are. (Are these toys more for me instead?) As a kid, I got the most mileage out of cars, trains, and Lego, so we'll see how much like dad they each become!

My oldest (almost 6) told me she likes the cars that look like real cars. I was so proud! And one of the twins (2 years old) has enjoyed driving around hot wheels and micro machines since she was 1. (The car ferry is for her!) The other twin went through a period where she liked to sit in my lap and drive the trains on the layout.

So there's hope!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, James-SNMB said:

What your seeing here is Christmas/birthday gifts for my daughters on the left

“No girls, you don’t play with them like that. Give them to Dad, I’ll show you!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woohoo! Second package arrived today! The N700A represents some firsts:

- First Shinkansen

- First Tomix train

- and besides my trams, this is my first Japanese train.

Time to open the boxes!

IMG_20211202_185732998_HDR.jpg

• Like 10

Picked up package three at the post office today! This one comes from Plaza Japan via Economy Air shipping. Very glad to have that option back to save money and skip the steep DHL duty/brokerage fees.

Doubled up the office tower with another kit I had in hand.

Ok, no more packages for a while!

IMG_20211203_143452451_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211203_143937354~2.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, James-SNMB said:

This one comes from Plaza Japan via Economy Air shipping.

How did you manage that seeing that Japan Post has cancelled Air shipping to Canada and USA since Nov 2?

3 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

How did you manage that seeing that Japan Post has cancelled Air shipping to Canada and USA since Nov 2?

https://www.plazajapan.com/information-regarding-covid-19/

I haven't been following the evolution, but my choices were DHL or Economy Air. According to the link above, it's Economy Air to Canada only, and EMS to US only. But checking the Japan post site suggests they won't send parcels at all. So in short, I don't know... But I'm sure it will continue to change!

I made the order early November, and with all the flooding and landslides in BC I'm surprised this made it to me as quick as it did, to be honest.

Another one from the MicroAce bargain pile in need of a little TLC:

51724430935_03f575e8ab_z.jpg

MicroAce 203 series (JNR) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Having lived at various times in the general vicinity of Yoyogi-Uehara in the 1990s/2000s, I am quite fond of the prototype, and the MA version (AFAIK no-one else has done this) is nice enough. Except they made the destination blind light a very orange-yellow, whereas on the prototype it's a white light (see e.g. here).

• Like 5
On 12/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, James-SNMB said:

First of three packages arrived today... (Or maybe it's the third of three, since I ordered it last, and DHL got it here first, even beating the other package I ordered a week earlier, also from HobbySearch... Not sure what DHL was up to there.)

I had a large order at HobbySearch that I split into two since shipping worked out cheaper, even after factoring brokerage fees. And then I had to maximize shipping value so I added a bunch of stuff to each order, and some how that makes sense in my mind as "saving money", while actually spending considerably more...

IMG_20211201_141202713_HDR.jpg

I just wish they still sold the Tomica Hyper Series stuff. It’s pretty cool, and I have a small collection that I bought myself, but the eBay prices keep going up every time I look at it…

Edited by Brennan91

More yahoo auction freight that arrived yesterday:

A mix of MicroAce, Tomix and Kato.

MicroAce - Tamus, Horas, Seras, Takis, Temus(?)

Tomix - Kumus, Takis, Tamus, Chi-1, Toras, Kokis, Yamato Containers and a single Wamu

Kato - 1 YO, Tokis, 1 KU, Takis, 3024 Body shell

Keep an eye on the For sale thread. I am going to go through every freight car and inspect each one of them. Keep in mind that this will take some time. If I can't make a unit train then I will be selling those cars. I also want my unit trains to be 24 cars or less. I already have more than 24 cars of certain car types. Those will also be gotten rid of. I have way to many freight cars. Also, once the passenger cars have been listed in the For sale thread for two weeks, I will start offering them individually. Each one will also be given a detailed inspection before it is offered for sale. Cheers!

Freight.thumb.jpg.3fbd8e9579b5a3718141a1373d6a86af.jpg

• Like 6

My latest acquisitions minus the Haruka  from the excellent RG Rokko! I was shocked when the E261 showed up on my front door only 3 days after I pressed buy (canada). Most of the sellers I dealt with don't even ship their packages out in 3 days let alone deliver....

20211204_181355.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, deathletter said:

More yahoo auction freight that arrived yesterday:

That is QUITE a haul!!! I'm glad i'm not on the slippery slope of freight.... 😛

6 hours ago, cplchanb said:

My latest acquisitions minus the Haruka  from the excellent RG Rokko! I was shocked when the E261 showed up on my front door only 3 days after I pressed buy (canada). Most of the sellers I dealt with don't even ship their packages out in 3 days let alone deliver....

Masaharu san is excellent with his packing and shipping speed, love RG Rokko for this! That is quite a haul too, nice!!!

From RG Rokko too, the 'i don't want a Yellow train with cute graphics' and the lovely Sanmei Shishui

20211202_144615.thumb.jpg.747ac6cbe727d801dd80d783117fa14e.jpg

Ampicable packing

20211202_144735.thumb.jpg.bccbfc61884cc4c2cd11da0ed152a6ab.jpg

Individually wrapped!

20211202_144916.thumb.jpg.f398187fb3e63b537f2be93e97e74536.jpg

Sanmei/ Shishui 

20211202_144931.thumb.jpg.6fb235884457d776dda04bcd3befed83.jpg

Love the logo 

20211202_145200.thumb.jpg.0f607f707ae97b0851178a5ad7fa531b.jpg

20211202_145341.thumb.jpg.bca5378c5c650330f4d8674a1429158f.jpg

20211202_145305.thumb.jpg.8e798db3ddb759a4ac311787c0bdba22.jpg

The LOVELY Cute yellow train with cute graphics ~ Noot so regreting now that i see it.... More work to be done though, the GM 115 series comes with tons of work to make it even more realistic... 

20211202_145431.thumb.jpg.0b0e497a99f1e4a4a062acd5597a2558.jpg

20211202_145440.thumb.jpg.9b69ee1482992f6d367eaeb9f19df82c.jpg

U know the seller is great when even buses get attention for shipping!

20211202_145502.thumb.jpg.6d3171ed0752c2257856147a86da863a.jpg

• Like 9
On 12/5/2021 at 12:19 AM, cplchanb said:

That why I'm ordering at RGR, they are really professional. I don't know if you noticed it but all the box have been opened and rolling stock tested. 

JM

3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

I finally got myself a new Yamanote. I love it. Maybe I'll see the real thing some day.

I didn't want to get these either but since I actually rode them, I got a set and so glad I did.  It grew on me and like them now.

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1

These have a nice little "Easter egg" - if you press firmly on the driving car's leading bogie pin, the front pops open with a "ding!" to reveal a tiny, slightly steaming konbini obento.

• Haha 5
12 hours ago, Matthieu said:

Hello,

From PlazaJapan :

E806917D-EABD-40B6-881F-B0671224C519.jpeg

699A5B5D-3D63-40F7-9122-53FC1FCD2ABB.jpeg

I've abandoned Kato leds for the HKTILC solution. Big choice of light temperature, no flickering with the advanced version, better balance of light as leds are spread to the whole length of the lighting bar. I'm currently waiting the delivery for my Odoriko trainset. 

JM 

• Like 1