What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

9 hours ago, disturbman said:

If the person before you took good care of their set, there is no reason for a 2006 MA motor not to perform as well as others motors from the same generation.

The renewal 200 series looks good alongside the E2. How do you find the car-gap treatment compared to Tomix and Kato?

It is a very close connection since it does not use the recent Rapido coupling method that MA has adopted, so next to the KATO it has a very close and accurate looking connection without using the boxes between cars that TOMIX uses. I do also like the TOMIX 200 Renewal and I was considering that one also. It was a hard choice but a lot of my JR East models are KATO so I’ve decided the MicroAce is a better match to my existing fleet. The lack of nose coupling is a disadvantage but I purchased this 200 mostly to model the last years of Yamabiko/Nasuno service in 2011 and the Toki/Tanigawa trains toward the end of life period so it’s not really an issue for me. The extra painted details and printed formation numbers are also a plus, and I was lucky that this one also came with a Casco 10 car Shinkansen bookcase to make storage more compact using one case rather then two. 

Edited by AbaZ33a

The 200 series looks great! May i ask if it also comes with the front connecting coupler? The 200 series does couple with the 400 series and later E3 series ~  🙂

As noted by @AbaZ33ain their post above yours (Was it not showing for you? I couldn’t see it above your answer before re-refreshing the page), no nose coupling. MA never offered a 400 or an E3. The upcoming Tomix version might have it.

Edited by disturbman
12 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

The 200 series looks great! May i ask if it also comes with the front connecting coupler? The 200 series does couple with the 400 series and later E3 series ~  🙂

Unfortunately not, however because I’m using this model to represent the end of life service period from around 2010 to ‘13 on the Tohoku and Joetsu Shinkansen and by this time to my knowledge they were not used in tandem with any other mini Shinkansen rolling stock, so it’s not really an issue for me. 

@AbaZ33a, The MicroAce shinkansen (as well as their other models, or at least the ones I own) in my collection have been, consistently, among the smoothest and quietest models in my collection (though to be fair, all my earliest MA model is of 2013 vintage), so I'm not surprised to hear that your model is running as smooth as it is. I've often noticed a sort of negativity towards MicroAce within this community, which in my honest opinion isn't really warranted, they've made a couple of misses in the past, but when they do get it right, which from my own experiences includes the majority of their recent models, they well and truly knock it out of the park (especially in terms of painting, printed details and general detailing).

That said, I understand why you specifically went for this model over the Tomix version (and there are a number of points in favor of the MA model, mainly the depth of the body mount and the printed details as mentioned), however, if you ever get the change to get yourself the Tomix version (if you want an additional renewed K formation etc.) I would recommend giving the Tomix model a go. Though the MA version has a number of advantages as I mentioned before, the Tomix model got the shape of the new windshield spot on (both in terms of the shape, angle, size and integration with both the remaining part of the old nose and the newly constructed upper section where the new windshield integrates into the roofline) while MA model well... let's just say didn't.

20 hours ago, AbaZ33a said:

The lack of nose coupling is a disadvantage but I purchased this 200 mostly to model the last years of Yamabiko/Nasuno service in 2011 and the Toki/Tanigawa trains toward the end of life period so it’s not really an issue for me.

Well in that case, and my apologies for doing this, but the MicroAce model, strictly speaking, represents formation K41 as she appeared prior to the 1st of March of 2007. This is because JR East banned smoking on all their shinkansen from that date forward, while the MicroAce model still contains a couple of smoking cars.

Anyway, this should of course be no big deal, but I noticed this while I was looking at pictures of your model, and couldn't resist adding it in as a small bit of trivia (my apologies for ruining everything😅).

11 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Yes...and no (a bit of hesitation may be noticed here). While it is indeed true that the 200 series K formations (both the original K1~K11(1992~1997)->K21~K31(1997~) sub group of formations and the K41~K51 (1997~) sub-group) were specifically formed for the purpose of combined running with the 400 series shinkansen (and later the first two E3 series 1000 sub-type formations), and between 1997 and 1999 with the E3 series 0 sub-type formations with the opening of the Akita Shinkansen (in fact the K41~K51 sub-group, as well as the extension of the K1~K11 sub-group (8-cars) into the K21~K31 sub-group (10-cars), were formed specifically because of the opening of the Akita Shinkansen in 1997), for the renewed K formations there is a bit of nuance involved. Of course, I'm more than willing to explain said nuance to those interested 😉.

While the renewed 200 series K formations were used for combined services, it has to be taken into account that combined running for the 200 series K formations effectively ended with the September 2001 timetable revision (September 21st). This would include both the 10 renewed (1) as well as the 8 non-renewed K formations (2) in service at that point in time.

Taking this into account, and with the renewal of the K formations starting in March of 1999 and ending in January 2002 (3), this means that even the earliest of the renewed K formations would've had at most 2 1/2 years (though as formation K41, the formation represented by the MicroAce model, went through renewal in October of 1999, that would be less than 2 years for this particular formation) to be used on those services.

However, we also have to take into account that during this time frame;

A) The un-renewed K formations would've still been in the majority, meaning you'd be statistically much more likely to see a un-renewed K formation coupled to a 400 series or E3 series (which is even more unlikely for the renewed formations, but I'll be explaining below why that is) than a renewed formation.

B) Around the same time the first renewed K formations would (re)enter service, the K formations would also start operating services on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (4)

C) The influx of the E2 series 0 sub-type J formations (formations J1~J15) between December 1996 and November of 1999, which would displace the 200 series K formations from the combined Yamabiko/Komachi services, with the K formations no longer operating said services from November 1999 onward (this left just a number of Yamabiko/Tsubasa services together with the 400 series, and later (and more rarely) the E3 series 1000 sub-type formations (L51 and L52, in fact the only image I've ever been able to locate of a renewed K formation operating a combined service happens to be with one of those two formations).

D) Starting in April 1999, the E4 series would also start combined running on Yamabiko/Tsubasa services, effectively reducing the number of 200 series K formations needed for such services (which allowed them to be used on other (solo) services, as well as indirectly replacing the last of the G formations retiring in 1999) even further.

Taking all this into account, I think you can accurately surmise, that combined services for the renewed 200 series K formations were not as common as people sometimes expect them to be. The couplers on the real K formations (only on the 222 type cars of course) were retained post September 2001, though were no longer maintained as active couplers, though only as an emergency coupling.

So in short, you are 100% correct that said combined running did take place, however, for the renewed K formations this was the exception rather than the norm, and would end rather quickly (in fact formations K42 and K43 were renewed after combined running had ended, and formation K51 was renewed just 3 months before it would end).

(1) in the end 12 of the 22 K formations would go through renewal, this would include 3 of the 11 formations of the K21~K31 sub-group (originally K1~K11, formed in 1992 as the original 8 car K formations, after being extended into 10 car formations in 1997 (making use of the surplus cars from the creation of the 'new' K formations, K41~K51) they were renumbered into the K21~K31 sub-group), namely K21, K25 and K26, as well as 9 of the K41~K51 sub-group, which would include K41~K43, K44, K46~K49 and K51, which meant formations K45 and K50 would not go through renewal.

In September of 2001, both K42 and K43 hadn't gone through renewal yet, hence the mention of 10 renewed formations.

(2) 4 of the K21~K31 sub-group formations had already retired at that point in time, formations K28, K29, K23 and K22 .

(3) K47, K41, K25 and K48 would be completed in 1999, K21, K49, K44 and K26 in 2000, K46, K51 and K43 in 2001 and K42 in January 2002.

(4) The K formations were mostly limited to the Tōhoku Shinkansen prior to the December 1999 timetable revision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, 200系 said:

@AbaZ33a, The MicroAce shinkansen (as well as their other models, or at least the ones I own) in my collection have been, consistently, among the smoothest and quietest models in my collection (though to be fair, all my earliest MA model is of 2013 vintage), so I'm not surprised to hear that your model is running as smooth as it is. I've often noticed a sort of negativity towards MicroAce within this community, which in my honest opinion isn't really warranted, they've made a couple of misses in the past, but when they do get it right, which from my own experiences includes the majority of their recent models, they well and truly knock it out of the park (especially in terms of painting, printed details and general detailing).

That said, I understand why you specifically went for this model over the Tomix version (and there are a number of points in favor of the MA model, mainly the depth of the body mount and the printed details as mentioned), however, if you ever get the change to get yourself the Tomix version (if you want an additional renewed K formation etc.) I would recommend giving the Tomix model a go. Though the MA version has a number of advantages as I mentioned before, the Tomix model got the shape of the new windshield spot on (both in terms of the shape, angle, size and integration with both the remaining part of the old nose and the newly constructed upper section where the new windshield integrates into the roofline) while MA model well... let's just say didn't.

Well in that case, and my apologies for doing this, but the MicroAce model, strictly speaking, represents formation K41 as she appeared prior to the 1st of March of 2007. This is because JR East banned smoking on all their shinkansen from that date forward, while the MicroAce model still contains a couple of smoking cars.

Anyway, this should of course be no big deal, but I noticed this while I was looking at pictures of your model, and couldn't resist adding it in as a small bit of trivia (my apologies for ruining everything😅).

Yes...and no (a bit of hesitation may be noticed here). While it is indeed true that the 200 series K formations (both the original K1~K11(1992~1997)->K21~K31(1997~) sub group of formations and the K41~K51 (1997~) sub-group) were specifically formed for the purpose of combined running with the 400 series shinkansen (and later the first two E3 series 1000 sub-type formations), and between 1997 and 1999 with the E3 series 0 sub-type formations with the opening of the Akita Shinkansen (in fact the K41~K51 sub-group, as well as the extension of the K1~K11 sub-group (8-cars) into the K21~K31 sub-group (10-cars), were formed specifically because of the opening of the Akita Shinkansen in 1997), for the renewed K formations there is a bit of nuance involved. Of course, I'm more than willing to explain said nuance to those interested 😉.

While the renewed 200 series K formations were used for combined services, it has to be taken into account that combined running for the 200 series K formations effectively ended with the September 2001 timetable revision (September 21st). This would include both the 10 renewed (1) as well as the 8 non-renewed K formations (2) in service at that point in time.

Taking this into account, and with the renewal of the K formations starting in March of 1999 and ending in January 2002 (3), this means that even the earliest of the renewed K formations would've had at most 2 1/2 years (though as formation K41, the formation represented by the MicroAce model, went through renewal in October of 1999, that would be less than 2 years for this particular formation) to be used on those services.

However, we also have to take into account that during this time frame;

A) The un-renewed K formations would've still been in the majority, meaning you'd be statistically much more likely to see a un-renewed K formation coupled to a 400 series or E3 series (which is even more unlikely for the renewed formations, but I'll be explaining below why that is) than a renewed formation.

B) Around the same time the first renewed K formations would (re)enter service, the K formations would also start operating services on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (4)

C) The influx of the E2 series 0 sub-type J formations (formations J1~J15) between December 1996 and November of 1999, which would displace the 200 series K formations from the combined Yamabiko/Komachi services, with the K formations no longer operating said services from November 1999 onward (this left just a number of Yamabiko/Tsubasa services together with the 400 series, and later (and more rarely) the E3 series 1000 sub-type formations (L51 and L52, in fact the only image I've ever been able to locate of a renewed K formation operating a combined service happens to be with one of those two formations).

D) Starting in April 1999, the E4 series would also start combined running on Yamabiko/Tsubasa services, effectively reducing the number of 200 series K formations needed for such services (which allowed them to be used on other (solo) services, as well as indirectly replacing the last of the G formations retiring in 1999) even further.

Taking all this into account, I think you can accurately surmise, that combined services for the renewed 200 series K formations were not as common as people sometimes expect them to be. The couplers on the real K formations (only on the 222 type cars of course) were retained post September 2001, though were no longer maintained as active couplers, though only as an emergency coupling.

So in short, you are 100% correct that said combined running did take place, however, for the renewed K formations this was the exception rather than the norm, and would end rather quickly (in fact formations K42 and K43 were renewed after combined running had ended, and formation K51 was renewed just 3 months before it would end).

(1) in the end 12 of the 22 K formations would go through renewal, this would include 3 of the 11 formations of the K21~K31 sub-group (originally K1~K11, formed in 1992 as the original 8 car K formations, after being extended into 10 car formations in 1997 (making use of the surplus cars from the creation of the 'new' K formations, K41~K51) they were renumbered into the K21~K31 sub-group), namely K21, K25 and K26, as well as 9 of the K41~K51 sub-group, which would include K41~K43, K44, K46~K49 and K51, which meant formations K45 and K50 would not go through renewal.

In September of 2001, both K42 and K43 hadn't gone through renewal yet, hence the mention of 10 renewed formations.

(2) 4 of the K21~K31 sub-group formations had already retired at that point in time, formations K28, K29, K23 and K22 .

(3) K47, K41, K25 and K48 would be completed in 1999, K21, K49, K44 and K26 in 2000, K46, K51 and K43 in 2001 and K42 in January 2002.

(4) The K formations were mostly limited to the Tōhoku Shinkansen prior to the December 1999 timetable revision.

I nearly panicked and thought you were going to tell me that there had been some kind of pantograph reduction, or that the car arrangement had been changed but smoking car decals I can deal with 😂. Perhaps I can remove them but I’m not sure if I would even want to go through the trouble. I considered also adding “line restoration” decals to my JR East fleet but I’m conflicted as if I ever want to model a different period, the models that have this decal would look out of place, I may just omit them for now. 

Regarding my comments about the MicroAce running motors, I was surprised that it runs so smooth mostly because my only other two models don’t run badly, but not great either. I have the 0 H2 Hikari which runs okay, but it is alittle jerky and loud. I suspect it needs some work however it’s also an older model so it’s understandable. My 300 0 series has improved with some running however the motor cars are rather jerky and because it is 16 cars in length there are 2 motors, and they do have a habit of sometimes fighting each other if one hiccups or stops. I would like to lubricate the motor and make some improvements but because it is such an expensive model I’m nervous to even open it up to oil it because to put  it mildly, I’m a butterfingered clutz, and I don’t want to break it. I suppose eventually I’ll have no choice. 

28 minutes ago, 200系 said:

I've often noticed a sort of negativity towards MicroAce within this community, which in my honest opinion isn't really warranted, they've made a couple of misses in the past, but when they do get it right, which from my own experiences includes the majority of their recent models, they well and truly knock it out of the park (especially in terms of painting, printed details and general detailing).

It totally does and, as you say, it's not deserved. I think it's partly due to people here being more exposed to Kato, the legend that accompanied the early MA steam locomotives, and the zinc rot plague of May/June 2010. I would also wager the whole production disruption and release postponements linked to their Chinese supplier issues in 2011 (or was it 2012?) is still fresh in many memories, giving the impression MA is an unreliable manufacturer. The lack of assy parts also plays in this perception.

My perception is the same as you, their models are usually quite good, if not above some other manufacturers in terms of details and quality. 

6 minutes ago, AbaZ33a said:

I have the 0 H2 Hikari which runs okay, but it is a little jerky and loud. I suspect it needs some work however it’s also an older model so it’s understandable.

You should give it a clean and re-oil/re-grease.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3

I bought a Dr Yellow Micro Ace (thankfully one without the Zinc rot issue) a couple of years ago which was a terribly loud and poor runner, and was obviously used a long time and probably played with roughly. Cleaning it, re-oiling and re-greasing it and it works like a charm and runs like new.  @AbaZ33a

• Like 2

Latest haul courtesy of HobbySearch:

image.thumb.jpg.f55f59501b589e4a0f18fa9cd924be81.jpg

Three more ToRa’s because I like four-wheel gondolas and they can be used to carry (almost) anything my desired but non-existent steam-era flat cars could, a Ka 3000 livestock van to add to my hoard of black boxes on wheels, and a OHa 35 coach for dessert. I might get some stuff out on Wednesday and have a play...

Enjoy!

Alastair

• Like 1

Some stuff from MicroAce for Hokkaido:

A7108 - SL C55-16 JNR

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 18.28.38 (1).jpeg

A8121 - EL ED75-501 JNR

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 18.28.38 (2).jpeg

A1458 - DL DE15-2516 JR Hokkaido Naebo Workshop

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 18.28.38 (3).jpeg

A3194 - FC TAKI 9550 JNR

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 18.28.38.jpeg

Regards, Ulli

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 4

latest additions to the fleet from Kiha66 as well as a short video of the 17 Tomix coaches,also from Kiha 66, in a double headed C62 train

A very large and exciting box of goodies to open when received. Kiha66 brilliant to deal with.

DSC_0683.JPG

DSC_0684 (1280x853).jpg

DSC_0685 (1280x853).jpg

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 10

Recently got a package from AmiAmi with all the stuff I ordered in the last three months. They had some problems processing the delay in Rhätische Bahn stuff and I ended up with the whole order moved from July to August and then to September. At least I paid just one shipping.

242060373_1063772621095849_6235461869813699745_n.thumb.jpg.e1375a727816e06c78f8479de7cfa021.jpg 241543955_541002723634604_8492106324769732335_n.thumb.jpg.076950ff20ec0a5792b1be69813d6fac.jpg

Two new Casco caskets (10 cars B) for my Kiha 110/111/112 and 36-700 cars that used to live in old Tomix cases where they did not fit well. Now all DMU stuff is safe in caskets. Also got some spare urethanes (12 cars B for future expansions, 19m variant for testing various configurations) just because they were in stock.

My two-axis freight car collection is growing, with an addition of Express Freight Train set and few new single cars. Looking forward to running them on my shunting layout. I'll need to finally add the last two missing tracks to the layout to accommodate these 🙂

241362532_385125709890705_4708489810843036321_n.thumb.jpg.3daa3eb73669493fcd2a05b4be86d125.jpg 241459967_457674322062691_2468721907696332504_n.thumb.jpg.333425be302c575f4297b7c8745f9465.jpg 242057285_158984709725817_7720981311086622618_n.thumb.jpg.597142a0f2d5ed52d9610cbfc3083ee7.jpg

The upper deck truss bridge is amazing, looks fabulous and majestic. Great place for train photoshoot 🙂 Will try to find a nice place for it in some future layout.

I also got the Yard additional set, mostly for these nice S35 pieces with pathway. Derailers and other plastic stuff is also very nice and usable. Also includes my first-ever wide rail pieces so I can get a grasp of them. Interesting fact: The set includes three S280-WP with just one-sided ballast which are not available elsewhere, not even in the basic set. Tomix used a clever solution - the one-sided S280-WP is actually two one-sided S140-WP joined together, but with rails 280 mm long so there is no joiner in the middle. They can be converted to S140-WP with a hacksaw 😁 I'm thinking about putting the depot set I got earlier onto a board and create a module so I'm trying to combine it with that set as well. More about that here.

EDIT: S280-WP actually is available as 1767 in the same form as described above so it's not unique at all. 

241537981_3204335546465986_2542599198348642002_n.thumb.jpg.29d6b73b4047f775d5e76ab07100fe98.jpg 242233406_2296325443832363_1998987554468835748_n.thumb.jpg.922b1a56c519e770ea73af12dcb85075.jpg

I already talked about the Rhätische Bahn stuff here.

Edited by katem
Clarification: S280-WP is available elsewhere
  • Like 10
On 11/6/2020 at 9:39 PM, railsquid said:

Random Akihabara haul:

akihabara-misc-2020-11-06.thumb.jpg.59606567eb79e4e6a05807aee42c51e5.jpg

The Kato book case and three cases on the right are empty. The locomotive is the new EF64-0 model, and the passenger cars for bulking out my E353 basic set to an unprototypical 6 cars :D.

And here's the weird thing - having just got out the E353 for the first time since forever, I was surprised to find it had 7 cars - I was expecting to find 5, as I knew I'd found an additional one not all that long after I bought the basic set. Had absolutely no recollection of where the other two came from until I found this. 😕

Still unprotoypical, but at least none of the cars are duplicates.

Edited by railsquid
  • Haha 4

My first Yahoo Japan purchase using Zenmarket.  I have used other agents but Zenmarket seems to be cheaper.  My SL collection has now grown to 25...should I stop now?

DSCF7883.jpeg

• Like 5