What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

@gavino200@JR 500系,

The Kato 100 series V formation is, in my humble opinion, probably the best 100 series model ever to be released in N gauge (though the MA model of formation X0/X1 comes really close). It was also my second shinkansen model I bought (full formation of course), my second Japanese n-gauge formation, and more than 160 full formations later it is still one of my favorite models (despite the two duplicate cars the older releases required you to buy) in my collection, probably my most run as well. Though I'm not jealous of the current set having the correct car numbers for 126-3044 (car 12) and 125-3026 (car 13) at all, no sir...

Also @JR 500系 , you seem to have sprouted another of those weird rubber-tyred, trackless KiHa thingies that always seem to be attached to one of your orders😨

@Kamome,

Can't help but agree on the attractiveness, though I'm personally more of a fan of the (slightly more utilitarian) G formations over the more luxurious V formations, I've always thought the addition of 2 more double decks cars made for a slightly more balanced appearance in my opinion, which is surprising to me as I'm generally not a big fan of double decks cars at all.

As for your observation about the missing pantographs, this leads me to an interesting, at least in my opinion, couple of points about the development of the 100 series V formations in general, and the last batch of the V formations to be built in particular. So, I'm sorry but please allow me to abuse your post in order to point out some things about the 100 series V formations, pantograph covers, high voltage pull through cables and a bit of BT/AT feeding stuff. Also, words, lots and lots of words.

The Kato 100 series V formation model represents formation V9, which was the final 100 series V formation to be built, on the 12th of December 1991, and was built as part of production batch 6 (for the V formations, the X and G formations had their own, separate, batch numbers) .

Why this matters though, is that the batch 6 formations (V8 and V9) were completed after the project to convert the entire Tōkaidō Shinkansen from the original BT (Booster Transformer) to the AT (Auto Transformer) feeder system had been completed in early/mid 1991.  As such they were the first V formations to be equipped with a high voltage bus line, as well as the accompanying reduction in the number of pantographs, during the construction process. This meant that number of pantographs could be reduced from 6 on the previous formations down to 4, with 3 of those (cars 4, 12 and 14) being active at the same time, the fourth one (car 6) was designated as the reserve pantograph, which would stay folded during normal operations.

This meant that formations V8 and V9 were built without the pantographs for cars 2 and 16 fitted, while the other formations would have them removed during their (general) inspections.

Now as those formations were built without pantographs on cars 2 and 16, it might seem strange that they still had their covers installed, they no longer served a purpose after all. While that may have been true though, the reason behind retaining the covers on those specific cars had everything to do with the general design concept JR West had devised for the V formations.

I won't be going too much into the detailed history of the 100 series and/or the V formations (though I'd love to do so sometimes in the future), however for this story it is important to look at the 3 (global) main design aspects for the 100 series 3000 sub-type design:

-trying to create a shinkansen which could compete the domestic flights (on the city pairings served by the Sanyō Shinkansen) by increasing the, intended, maximum operating speed to 275 km/h (hence allowing for a travel time of around 2 hours and 30 minutes for the fastest services between Shin-Ōsaka and Hakata (Fukuoka)).

- Improved passenger accommodations in comparison to the 0 series and 100 series X formations (the G formations were primarily intended for usage on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, though they did a number of Tōkyō - Okayama and I believe even a couple of Tōkyō - Hiroshima Hikari services, all of the Tōkyō to Hakata services were operated by X formations, and later also the V formations).

- The 100 series 3000 sub-type formations were to be designed in such a way that it would be possible to reorganize them into shorter formations in the future, while still meeting minimum performance numbers, even when shortened.

The speed increase however, would prove to be the most difficult part to realize. Even though on the 10th of February 1990 during testing a maximum speed of 277,2 km/h was attained, it turned out that above 255 km/h the running noise increased sharply, and even at 255 km/h sound levels were above the maximum allowable levels, as established by law. As a result, though JR West was able to increase the maximum operating speed from 220 km/h for the X and G formations, to 230 km/h on the Sanyō Shinkansen, this meant that for the V formations, the desired reduction in traveling time simply wasn't within reach... yet (the 300 series would of course make this possible only 2 years later).

The design provisions anticipating a future shortening of the formations would however, be more successful.

However, to understand where the V formations differed from both the X and G formations, we have to take a short look at the (electrical concept) behind the 100 series shinkansen.

The 100 series shinkansen was the first shinkansen to abandon the all electric concept (all axles on all bogies on all cars being powered) as originally used on the 0 series and later on the 200 series (with exception to the H formation double decks cars). The more powerful, MT202 type traction, motors, based on the MT201 type used on the 200 series, allowed for a reduction in motor cars (thus lowering manufacturing/acquisition costs) while retaining more or less the same total power output as a 0 series 16 car formation. For the 100 series this meant that M/T (motor to trailer) ratio was lowered to 12M4T.

For the X and G formations this meant that in addition to the double decks cars (168 type and 149 type cars for the X formations, and 148 type and 149 type cars for the G formations) both end cars (123 type and 124 type cars) were built as trailer (control) cars. In order to retain a sensible M/T ration, the V formations would actually use a different configuration, the end cars of the V formations would be motorized control cars (121 type and 122 type respectively), which left room for 2 additional (unmotorized of course) double decks cars. This resulted in a configuration where all single deck cars were motor cars while the 4 double decks cars were all trailer cars, which would make any reconfiguration relatively straightforward.

This foresight proved to be correct as after the retirement of the V formations between 2001 and 2002, most of the remaining cars could be re-used to form 12, 4 car P formations (P1~P12) and 10, 6 car K formations (K51~K60) for Kodama services on the Sanyō Shinkansen. Though for this, as the number of end cars was of course limited to 9 pairs (for 22 formations), there was still quite some work to be done, as the nose sections of retired G formations (both JR West's formations G1~G7 (those had been transferred to JR West by JR Tōkai between October 1996 and July of 1997 as compensation for the barring of JR West 0 series Nh formations from scheduled (Hikari) service on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen) as well as retired JR Tōkai formations which were forwarded to the Hakata Shinkansen Centre for this very purpose) were to be combined with surplus 125 type and 126 type 3000 sub-type cars to form 13 pairs of 121/122 type 5050 sub-type cars. 9 Pairs were included in the 4 car P formations (P3~P5 and P7~P12) while the remaining 4 were included in the 6 car K formations (K52, K55, K57 and K60).

At the same time there was also a shortage of 125 type X700 sub-type cars, which included a designated room for the in car sales services. In order to be able to still field the required number of cars for both the P and K formations, the carbodies of thirteen 125 type 700 sub-type cars, all former G formation cars (part of the former JR West formations G1~G7, as well as retired JR Tōkai formation G9, G10, G15, G19, G30 and G43), were rebuilt using the electrical and mechanical equipment of former 125 type 3800 sub-type and 125 type 3000 sub-type cars, which had become surplus after the V formations were withdrawn from active service. This resulted in thirteen, 125 type 3750 sub-type cars, with the distribution being exactly the same as the 121/122 type 3050 sub-type cars mentioned earlier.

So in the end, despite all the efforts in designing the 100 series 3000 sub-type cars in such a way as to allow easier conversion halfway through their intended service life (which for JR West is between 20~25 years of service, this does include life extension work though), and succeeding, it still required a considerable amount of work before they could re-enter service (the final 100 series formation to be undergoing the reformation and life extension program, formation P12, wasn't completed until the 31st of March 2005, 3 years after the final V formation had been withdrawn from service).

What did end up happening though, is that on the 122 type 5000/5050 sub-type cars a pantograph was installed, completing the circle.

So, in summary, the Kato model is based on V formation V9. As formation V9 was part of batch 6, which were built between July and December of 1991 they were built after the conversion from the BT feeder to the AT feeder system on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen was completed. As such they were the first (V) formations to not have any pantographs installed on cars 2 and 16, by virtue of being the first to be delivered with a high voltage pull through bus line. The rest of the formations were modified to the same standard during general inspections in the same time period. Even though there were no pantographs present, they were still built with pantograph covers. As the V formations were built with shortening in mind, the covers remained in place to allow for the (re-)installation of a pantograph when this happens. When the P and K formations were formed, this did actually happen as pantographs were installed on the 122 type cars as part of the remodelling program.

Also, if you want to run your Kato V formation in a prototypical fashion, always keep the pantograph of car 6 folded, while the pantographs of cars 4, 12 and 14 should be raised.

100 series V formation leaving Tōkyō station somewhere in 1990:

-> Note the different pantograph covers on cars 4 and 14 vs cars 2, 6, 12 and 16. During the early 1990's there was a lot of experimentation with different types of pantograph covers on the 100 series (and to some extend on the 200 series as well). In the end JR West decided to go with the simpler style as seen on cars 2/6/12 and 16 (as well as the Kato model), which is similar (but not entirely the same) to the pantograph covers which would be installed on the remaining 0 series formations of both JR Tōkai and JR West (excluding formation Nh82, which got a different design for a very good reason, but that's a story for another time) during the first half of the 1990's. JR Tōkai would settle for the second type, as seen on cars 4 and 14 in this clip, while JR East would go for a similar design for their 200 series formations.

Also note the presence of cable heads between the cars, though they aren't connected to each other yet. These cable heads would eventually allow for the entire formation to be electrically connected, as opposed to the 2 car electric units (MM' system) used earlier. As the BT feeder doesn't allow for such a connection, as the entire train being electrically connected (from a feeding perspective, in terms of the control systems both the 200 series and the 100 series would still remain MM' (2 car (semi)married pairs) units) would lead to shorting at the air sections between transformers (once again something I hope to cover in more detail sometime in the future), they could only attach the required high voltage cables the after the conversion to the AT feeder system had been completed.

Also note the air intakes below the nose section (above the pilot) on both the 121 type and 122 type cars, those are used as intakes for cooling air for the traction motors of the 121/122 type cars. This was unique to the 121/122 type cars of the V formations, the 123/124 type cars of the X and G formations of course being trailer cars and thus lacking the intakes. Same goes for the equipment boxes under the floor (much smaller and shorter on the 123/124 type cars).

several shots of the 100 series formations (X, G and V) between 1989 and 1991:

-> Though this video shows a mix of mostly G and V formations (interestingly only one scene contains a X formation), and in general is an excellent showcase for the rapid changes happening to the 100 series between mid/late 1989 and early/mid 1991, I chose to include this video mainly to showcase the changes to design and placement of the pantograph covers over this same period (and because, in my opinion, Nao Nakagawa has some of the best homemade footage of the shinkansen at the start of the Heisei era on youtube (amazing classic (Japanese) civil aviation  footage in his other works as well)).

Note for example the V formations shown in the first and second clip (0:10 and 0:50 respectively) still lack the pantograph covers on cars 2, 6, 12 and 16, while cars 4 and 14 are already fitted with the, later discarded, cover design

The G formation thundering through Odawara station, starting at 1:46, provides a good example for the development of the pantograph cover design JR Tōkai would end up using for the X and G formations. While this isn't yet the final alteration to the design, as can be seen all 6 pantographs are now covered by a uniform cover, with the side covers and one of the traverse cover plates (aft) already in place, the only thing missing yet is the shorter second traverse cover plate. Judging by the shininess, and the visible cable heads, I'm guessing this formation would be part of the batch 7 cars which were delivered more or less around the period this footage was shot, the specifics about batch 7 cars I will be covering below.

the scene starting at around the 2:30 mark, with formation G21 approaching Odawara station (formation G21 looks incredibly clean and shiny in this shot because she would have been brand new when this was shot, G21 was completed on the 1st of October 1989 after all) beautifully captures the changes the G formations went through. Formation G21 was part of the production batch 7 (for the X/G formations) formations (cars), which were the first of the G formations to be delivered with pantograph covers already installed, they were also the first to have the required preparatory work for a high voltage pull through bus already in place from the moment they were delivered, as evidenced by the fact that the required cable heads are already installed.

The final scenes, taken near the entrance of the Higashiyama tunnel in Kyōto, give an excellent look at the appearance of the G formations (only G formations unfortunately) just before the AT feeder system would replace the original BT feeder system (you can actually see the additional feeder wires for the AT system in the shot at ~12:15, above the catenary gantry and to the left and right of the poles). Starting at 11:48, the passage of a G formation shows the final configuration for the JR Tōkai formations (X1, X2~X7 and G1~G50), with the pantograph covers being fully in place, both the side plates and the fore and aft traverse covers now both in place as well all of the cable heads.

At 12:40 a side view of a V formation departing Shin-Ōsaka (ascending) perfectly demonstrates the development of the V formations over the same time period. Pantograph covers have been added to all pantographs, with the shape having been unified to a simpler design with just the side covers remaining. The all-around cover (similar to the ones used by JR Tōkai), which was still used on cars 4 and 14 up till 1990, has disappeared in the meantime.

100 series V formation driving through Shin-Kōbe in the mid 1990's(?):

-> V formation flying through Shin-Kōbe at around 230 km/h on a descending Grand Hikari service. Though it isn't really visible because of the high speed and low light, but this was after the number of pantographs had been reduced. You can clearly hear the sound of the air being displaced combined with the contact sound of the pantograph (the hissing sound heard at around 0:14 (car 4) and 0:18 (cars 12 and 14)), which also serves as a good indicator to the extent pantograph noise actually contributes towards the overall sound profile of the shinkansen, it's not without reason that minimizing the number of pantographs has gone hand in hand with efforts to increase the operational speed of the shinkansen, going back to the 200 series 1000 sub-type cars introduced in the second half of 1983 (which initially allowed the number of pantographs in use to be halved, though later they were reduced down to two active pantographs), all the way to the E5 series and E6 series of today which use just a single pantograph when operating on the Tōhoku/Hokkaidō Shinkansen (the one facing the direction of travel, i.e. the pantograph used depends on whether it's a descending or ascending service).

And that brings me to the end of my post, which once again got much bigger than I originally intended. That said I do hope it at least provides an interesting read for those who are interested.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
Das Steinkopf
20 hours ago, The Birmingham train spotter said:

Some news..I'm hoping to order some N Gauge Kato Tank car Taki 1000 tankers 

Try Rail Gallery Rokko, they are probably the only place to order from at the moment as they still have some in stock, they are the later build versions in the 8 car set that go from car number 939-983 that entered service around 2019 as well as the single car 986, I like many other members here have purchased from RGR and we all have nothing but praise for their excellent service.

https://rg-rokko.com/products/detail/1046

https://rg-rokko.com/products/detail/1045

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 2

Just arrived from RG-Rokko ... Sent on Friday, delivered on Monday in France. 

All the order came into a nice RG-Rokko bag

IMG_20210906_190301.thumb.jpg.f54e506ecbd49de9e1643ff7c11b3b3b.jpg

IMG_20210906_190400.thumb.jpg.fe4b026e2d4a5b2c076ee3c353df8fcc.jpg

I'll detail the content of the pack later on .... but I do not resist of sharing with you my Tobu 500 .... Go it !!!!

IMG_20210906_192156.thumb.jpg.7c6f898f92bfc9eb125cb609ba1a0d30.jpg

It's the reference 97934

IMG_20210906_192222.thumb.jpg.908adedcf04d5cf73b15dcb6a5ac1d7a.jpg

It comes in a booklet box

IMG_20210906_192318.thumb.jpg.bfa891bb22e18a296a65f537827f4d4c.jpg

with 2 train set and small part to simulate the interco. Numbering is as follow (sorry for the quality, it's with my phone)

IMG_20210906_192414.thumb.jpg.9b441b1cdfb37a029c8dd0ae60d1c487.jpg

IMG_20210906_192426.thumb.jpg.1f297a1cd774ed9d3bd630127f395c0b.jpg

I must say I was a bit anxious looking to the picture on Internet as the pearly paint was looking like grainy but ... no, 

IMG_20210906_193340.thumb.jpg.baa8abed4e510ec4bffc50e03ce8a898.jpg

Nice roof too...

IMG_20210906_193401.thumb.jpg.b831beb847762837136adf04ac6d3755.jpg

It definitely look great !

IMG_20210906_193425.thumb.jpg.cc7940c18f37abd00ef9288ef247ad78.jpg

So now, before making the full review, I need to install interior lighting, driver, couple of passengers to populate it, labels etc ... and of course , what make it great, the opened fronts and connexion corridor between the 2 train sets. 

Then, it'll go to my mini studio for a shooting !!!

• Like 14

Just a question concerning orders and deliveries from Japan. Is it possible to know custom, shipping and delivery costs in advance when ordering products on Plaza Japan, or 1999.co.jp? Are they fixed or do they depend from weight, goods and so on? I live in UE, Italy, and I think such costs could be quite remarkable.

Thank you🙂

Shipping depends on weight, package size and shipping option chosen (EMS, registered air, non-register, surface, etc).

Custom is based on items value. You'll have to add Italian VAT to the price you paid in Japan. Depending on countries, their might be other, added costs; like handling fees from the custom offices or the post office/shipping company.

@Socimiwill be able to tell you how it works in Italy.

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Shipping depends on weight, package size and shipping option chosen (EMS, registered air, non-register, surface, etc).

Custom is based on items value. You'll have to add Italian VAT to the price you paid in Japan. Depending on countries, their might be other, added costs; like handling fees from the custom offices or the post office/shipping company.

@Socimiwill be able to tell you how it works in Italy.

Thank you very much for your explanations!!!

2 hours ago, titoit said:

Just a question concerning orders and deliveries from Japan. Is it possible to know custom, shipping and delivery costs in advance when ordering products on Plaza Japan, or 1999.co.jp? Are they fixed or do they depend from weight, goods and so on? I live in UE, Italy, and I think such costs could be quite remarkable.

Thank you🙂

Shipping costs depend on the carrier, wich decides them based on the weight of the parcel. Hobby Search (1999.co.jp) always lists the weight of an on-sale item, so you can make rough estimates beforehand. They also have some very handy shipping cost charts avaible (here are the one for DHL and EMS).

Custom costs, on the other hand, sometimes hit and sometimes miss. This is because once the package arrives in Italy, a base handling fee of 5,50€ applies, plus the eventual import tax. Sometimes also the dogana officiers will inspect packages and will make an estimate of the value. If the declared value is lower than their estimate, you'll have to pay the difference. If the pack "slips trough", you'll only have to pay the base handling fee and the eventual import tax with or without IVA (Italian VAT).

Generally speaking, SAL packages have a slightly lower chanche of getting inspected by customs compared to DHL and EMS ones, so if you want, take this into account when deciding on shipping method.

In short, take it as something along the lines of a "customs' russian roulette".

I've recieved several packages from Hobby Search, ranging from 100 to 400+ € of declared value and i've always paid between 5,50€ (the bare minimium) and a maximium of 40€ (only once, with an EMS package) of import taxes and other fees. For the record, most times i have to pay around 20€ for packages ranging between 100 and 200€.

One good thing however is that now, custom fees and other stuff can be paid directly to the postman or delivery guy when he delivers the package home. Instead, some years ago, you'd have to go to the post office to pay the fee and pick up your stuff.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Socimi said:

Shipping costs depend on the carrier, wich decides them based on the weight of the parcel.

As for Spain, new rules on import items lead me to buy directly to Amazon Japan, paying in advance taxes and forget about headaches.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:52 AM, 200系 said:

@gavino200@JR 500系,

The Kato 100 series V formation is, in my humble opinion, probably the best 100 series model ever to be released in N gauge (though the MA model of formation X0/X1 comes really close). It was also my second shinkansen model I bought (full formation of course), my second Japanese n-gauge formation, and more than 160 full formations later it is still one of my favorite models (despite the two duplicate cars the older releases required you to buy) in my collection, probably my most run as well. Though I'm not jealous of the current set having the correct car numbers for 126-3044 (car 12) and 125-3026 (car 13) at all, no sir...

Also @JR 500系 , you seem to have sprouted another of those weird rubber-tyred, trackless KiHa thingies that always seem to be attached to one of your orders😨

Thanks for the detailed explaination as usual regarding the 100 series, it's really an informative read! 

Haha guess i got spotted on those rubber tyred trackless kiha thingies ... I'm trying hard not to start something new, but i am getting more impressed with the high level of detail that goes in them... Well i think it's gonna stop real soon! Better start to get back on track.....

Whoop Whoop, Hypetrain 😄

My 100 Shinkansen arrived that week and the Maglev arrived today (as a display model), I ordered 2 pieces for a double route that should run over a module 😏

then extensions are yet come for the new yard module (are already installed) and light signals that wants to rebuild the I can lights and be switched (for the trainstation).

241668757_4459552407435242_2799703988468678183_n.thumb.jpg.c3389580c5a1403938866cc9229e87bd.jpg241629948_4459605634096586_8968892948804468444_n.thumb.jpg.01dae51d438347e5655a3e8b12a54146.jpg241653202_4459552840768532_108386358137218122_n.thumb.jpg.b3dfcbb044408f95a535d48a3ec9536a.jpg

Finally I can cross off another set from my search list that I got thanks to another N-Scaler, Last run Akebono 😍

241669697_4459551980768618_1967762879719322982_n.thumb.jpg.a1c939875545af363e87eb814ddb2a20.jpg

Edited by shiniji
  • Like 10
12 hours ago, shiniji said:

Whoop Whoop, Hypetrain 😄

My 100 Shinkansen arrived that week and the Maglev arrived today (as a display model), I ordered 2 pieces for a double route that should run over a module 😏

then extensions are yet come for the new yard module (are already installed) and light signals that wants to rebuild the I can lights and be switched (for the trainstation).

241668757_4459552407435242_2799703988468678183_n.thumb.jpg.c3389580c5a1403938866cc9229e87bd.jpg241629948_4459605634096586_8968892948804468444_n.thumb.jpg.01dae51d438347e5655a3e8b12a54146.jpg241653202_4459552840768532_108386358137218122_n.thumb.jpg.b3dfcbb044408f95a535d48a3ec9536a.jpg

Finally I can cross off another set from my search list that I got thanks to another N-Scaler, Last run Akebono 😍

241669697_4459551980768618_1967762879719322982_n.thumb.jpg.a1c939875545af363e87eb814ddb2a20.jpg

Got the wide view Shinano, great train set ... I love it too. 

• Like 1

Small order from MTP.  This was a bit of an impulse purchase and I am not sure making small purchases like this makes sense anymore considering the current costs of shipping.

In any event, I had been thinking of getting one of these KiHa 261 sets but had been hesitating as my layout progress has been virtually non-existent lately.  Then I saw it on the MTP site at the best price I have seen so I decided to go ahead.  Added the fork lifts and plastic sheet while I was on the site.  Great service as usual - ordered Friday, shipped Monday, at my house in the USA on Wednesday and very well packed.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

JR Hokkaido 261.jpg

• Like 9
23 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

Small order from MTP.  This was a bit of an impulse purchase and I am not sure making small purchases like this makes sense anymore considering the current costs of shipping.

In any event, I had been thinking of getting one of these KiHa 261 sets but had been hesitating as my layout progress has been virtually non-existent lately.  Then I saw it on the MTP site at the best price I have seen so I decided to go ahead.  Added the fork lifts and plastic sheet while I was on the site.  Great service as usual - ordered Friday, shipped Monday, at my house in the USA on Wednesday and very well packed.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

JR Hokkaido 261.jpg

Nice haul Tony! What's the theme around that KiHa 261, I think the flower looks like a camellia but I can't tell - I was more into trains than botany when I was younger...

Since I am unlikely to travel next year, I decided to take a look at the latest HobbySearch preorders and it ended with some serious bug bite - preordered the Tomix 215 series 4-car set and the 700-7000 Hikari Rail Star. Both have meaning, I rode on Rail Stars during my marathon trip to Kyushu and Shin-Yamaguchi in 2019, and the 215 I bagged on my first morning just casually trundling through Shinjuku during the morning peak. If you've been following @Kamome442's brilliant Yurakucho layout build you may have already seen my photo of this train.

On the radar for future purchase (when my wallet recovers, that is!) will be the extra coaches for the 215 and maybe a few extra coaches for the 103 Osaka Loop Line that I've got on preorder too.

• Thanks 1

@ED75-775 - the theme is the Hamanasu rose, hence the color.  As I understand it, this new Series 261 will be used both for regular express service but also as a sightseeing train.  In theory, it could show up anywhere in Hokkaido which makes it great train to have for a Hokkaido themed layout that doesn't have a specific setting.

I am hoping to get to Hokkaido in 2022 - hope springs eternal! - and would like to ride this train.  Though, to be honest, I would be happy to be riding just about any train there.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Couldn’t resist these two, I’m really cheating on Kato now…I’m buying more Tomix than ever lol 🤫

Both beautiful sets with stunning artwork on the box.

Guy 

425C184D-8FE4-4995-9837-45FCD36892B8.jpeg

0373EEF0-875D-497E-9132-F7A0D4B13F2B.jpeg

7A31A603-120D-44C6-95CD-0C8E642F49DB.jpeg

63BB1651-660F-4B62-8658-2F1127EACBFE.jpeg

• Like 10

After waiting forever for kato to rerelease buildings, I gave up and ordered 2 outland buildings, as well as a set of 20 people swimming figures. Cheap chinese things. But will repaint them to school blue swimsuits as I already have the kobaru swimming figures to stand at the edge of the pool.

Edited by Drunkenclam
  • Like 1

I received a pair of U55A containers from Hobby Search from a new-to-me maker, Torm. I ordered these in March of 2020. They just arrived. I just noticed that Torm is somehow connected with a favorite model train shop in Akihabara, TamTam. The quality is quite good. This is the first container offering from Torm on Hobby Search. There are 4 others on Hobby Search on reservation status now.

IMG_9548.thumb.jpg.8302557945e5d819bfff29b388efdb8e.jpg

IMG_9551.thumb.jpg.a81b117ec9e9c9dbecfe710a05a65d86.jpg

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 7
16 hours ago, maihama eki said:

I received a pair of U55A containers from Hobby Search from a new-to-me maker, Torm. I ordered these in March of 2020. They just arrived. I just noticed that Torm is somehow connected with a favorite model train shop in Akihabara, TamTam. The quality is quite good. This is the first container offering from Torm on Hobby Search. There are 4 others on Hobby Search on reservation status now.

IMG_9548.thumb.jpg.8302557945e5d819bfff29b388efdb8e.jpg

IMG_9551.thumb.jpg.a81b117ec9e9c9dbecfe710a05a65d86.jpg

From what I can gather TORM is using the moulds from Aoshima/Skynet, I am curious what they will bring out next.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2021 at 5:40 AM, maihama eki said:

I just noticed that Torm is somehow connected with a favorite model train shop in Akihabara, TamTam.

Yes Tam Tam’s TORM have been steadily adding to their product lines. I believe they first started with alternative coach light units for N and HO although I always though they looked very bright.

They have since added small hobby consumables like masking tape and track cleaning swabs, but now even do their own controller. Moulded plastic parts seems to be the latest addition with a few upgrade parts for the 103 and now containers.  The Toyota ones looks great and if you have some Tomix Koki 105s, you can make the car parts train. They’re also doing some Evangelion themed NERV containers coming out in Sept and Dec.

• Like 1

Quick look on my Tobu 500 in multiple EMU 

Love it ...

IMG_20210914_155516.thumb.jpg.d7774dc8358937ae6a529c76a2c3470d.jpg

I need to make the wheels more realistics

Edited by JR East
  • Like 7

Received my MicroAce Series 200 1000 “K41” (A1594/5) in the mail. I’m surprised that it runs very smoothly and it’s also more quiet then I expected. Overall it’s a good model, it complements my other JR East KATO models quiet well. 

A166A12D-DF8F-4C39-8EDA-F766AC514AF0.jpeg

4F631E6A-1C98-4C5A-9769-8BFE4AA36BA2.jpeg

76968055-FA27-4759-8C68-121BC1FA1717.jpeg

• Like 10

If the person before you took good care of their set, there is no reason for a 2006 MA motor not to perform as well as others motors from the same generation.

The renewal 200 series looks good alongside the E2. How do you find the car-gap treatment compared to Tomix and Kato?

Edited by disturbman