What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

14 hours ago, quarxilon said:

@ED75-775 So it was you who bought that Keihan 800 series set! 😆 I've been eyeing that for my next Mandarake package as well, but you clearly deserve it given your experience with the prototype! Can't wait to find out how you would recreate that iconic street running scene in miniature.

Oops! Sorry I kinda spoiled your plans for a shiny new train. The idea of replicating the Keishin Line is interesting, I’d probably use ordinary track rather than the tram track you can get from Kato or Tomix since that would probably be easier to work with on slopes. Unless anyone else can prove me wrong?

6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Meant to be! Good to have something solid for the rationalization!

jeff

Thanks Jeff! I’ll have to be careful now though, I now have a reason to buy more Keihan in the future to go with this... and I’m back at the top of that slippery slope. Oh well, might as well enjoy the ride!

• Haha 2

@ED75-775 Modelling the Keishin Line would be a formidable challenge that would put you on magazine covers if you could pull it off. Underground metro transit, alpine railway, and interurban tramway, all within a short distance, using the same rolling stock. Not many other prototypes would enable you to use the full spectrum of available Unitrack/Unitram products on the same line without looking stupid.

Enjoy (literally) riding the slippery slope!

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, disturbman said:

How does the Tomix B-Train-like loc run?

Surprisingly well, given its size. It's filled with a weight everywhere, including cabin. Power pickup is on all three axes, but the leftmost (left as in the picture) has tires on both wheels. Even though all axes have cogs, motor is not connected to the rightmost one. The motor is noticeably louder when running in one direction (to left). It has problems with turnouts, gets stuck on them almost every time when running very slowly (middle axis gets stuck on turnout dead zone, right axis stops picking up probably because of turnout bumpiness, left axis has tires). No problem in higher speeds though. I did not stress-test it with many cars yet. A little footage is on Instagram here.

7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I'm displeased. I will have to speak to Tokonami san at Rail Rokko regarding the lack of a cute cat in my order. 

Sorry, seems there is some misunderstanding because of my English - both cats came in packages from Hobby Search. It's just that the cat (I already had from earlier) has made the bag its sole property. However cats are great idea when Tokonami-san runs out of these shiny new bags 🙂 

• Thanks 1
Das Steinkopf
6 hours ago, quarxilon said:

@ED75-775 Modelling the Keishin Line would be a formidable challenge that would put you on magazine covers if you could pull it off. Underground metro transit, alpine railway, and interurban tramway, all within a short distance, using the same rolling stock. Not many other prototypes would enable you to use the full spectrum of available Unitrack/Unitram products on the same line without looking stupid.

Enjoy (literally) riding the slippery slope!

I really need to dust off my project of doing part of the line heading up to Kamisakaemachi, I have already started to make the station on the upside of the line, I won't be making the down line platform as I plan to use a scenic break where Baron Pomme is, it's funny to see how many people got suckered into Japanese model railways by the Keihan Keishin including myself.

Here is some of the work. https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/15639-keishin-otsusen/?tab=comments#comment-194013

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 2

arrived today: a rare set from Microace (via ebay, I was the only bidder because of the high starting price 😱 but 130€ with Points - its ok). I had ordered the interior parts for Tomix's West express

EDIT: HS says this Set is 1:120?!!! i have Questions..... 😱

20210819_164431.thumb.jpg.b3ef3ee918ebe4422f823dc74da5ab45.jpg

Edited by shiniji
  • Like 7

Nice Shiniji! I still kick myself as I had a chance twice to pick one of those up pretty cheaply and still don’t know why I didn’t both times…

jeff

oh jeff, i feel with you. the I so often had even that I did not use the opportunity (or, as I have almost sold my entire collection a few years ago and she had to completely rebuild.

No worries, I have plenty of trains, more than I can really play with that much so I can say c’est la vie pretty easily! I was probably being good doing my mantra “I have enough trains, I have enough trains, I have enough trains…” 😉 

jeff

ps but my favorite tee shirt I have from a friend in grad school pegged me very early on “the one who does with the most toys wins”

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, katem said:

Thanks, all the filler cats are cute 💜 Did Hobby Search not send you any? What a shame.

Our Calico Cat would not accept them. She is a one eyed (due to cat flu as a kitten) possessive little B....h. Haha! More interested in destroying model trains if she gets a chance.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, shiniji said:

arrived today: a rare set from Microace (via ebay, I was the only bidder because of the high starting price 😱 but 130€ with Points - its ok). I had ordered the interior parts for Tomix's West express

EDIT: HS says this Set is 1:120?!!! i have Questions..... 😱

I love it! I won't rest until I own one myself!!!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, beakaboy said:

Our Calico Cat would not accept them. She is a one eyed (due to cat flu as a kitten) possessive little B....h. Haha! More interested in destroying model trains if she gets a chance.

Any self respecting one eyed cat would of course want to kick the crap out of any stupid model trains!

jeff who once had a huge feral black Persian with one eye who had an attitude…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never really had any interest in being a cat owner but the thought of cats and model trains fillsme with absolute dread. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Model trains are but hairless plastic mice to cats to be looked at with distain, swatted at, pounced on, played with and then destroyed.

jeff

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Model trains are but hairless plastic mice

And if you leave a pile of boxes and packing material  under the stairs, more of them just spontaneously generate.

Edited by Cat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 8/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, Cat said:

And if you leave a pile of boxes and packing material  under the stairs, more of them just spontaneously generate.

How I wish!

While playing with some spare time, I found this track plan on the Kato website. Nice little track plan - three station through roads for passenger and freight services, three sidings for shunting, room for a little tweaking if I want a goods siding near the station or an engine shed, and some room for a small town. I'm thinking of going for the 23-241 station and matching platforms for the station, plus a Tsugawa NA-9 freight station to complement it? Kinda thinking of transitional steam era, mid-1960s-ish time period so I have a reason for all my JNR steam locomotives and perhaps a few appropriate diesels like a DD13.

In the meantime I'm bidding on a new roof for one of my Tomix 103-series cars (which I whoops-ed up trying to remove a gluemark) and some extra M.U. cables for the same set since I wasted two which got either cut too short or decided to go - whee! The joys of fiddly little bits!

Edited by ED75-775

Yesterday I received the package from the sakura gallery - with EMS within 4 days from Japan to Germany, a new record! 🤩

236964850_4404339836289833_6477380182512172994_n.thumb.jpg.28ca8ad8423291982fa2506186a31579.jpg

• Like 5

HobbySearch has been tempting me again. Bad, bad HobbySearch... 🤣

The subject of temptation: the JIHANI 6000 steam railmotor by World Kogei. This is the first time I've seen this model, though HS tells me that it's been offered before as a kit. Has anyone had one of these? And if so, how well do they run? As expensive as it is, it would be a one-off and there's plenty of time to build up my cash reserves and HS points if I decide to go for one.

Yesterday I received this, got them for a good price. I think. 😂

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

Both Bullet trains didn't work properly🤔. They were intermittent and made whining noises😷.

So decided to open both engine cars, clean all the dirt around the the wheels and using a toothbrush I clean all the gears.

Oiled everything and put them back together. Now both run as new. 😃

Edited by Tuga
  • Like 5

Excellent work tuga! At times a complete strip down like that is needed and can work miracles! A cheap $20 ultrasonic bath really can help cleaning out all the little nooks and crannies as well.

cheers,

jeff

Been absent for a while but sometimes a break in nice, work has been draining the last few months.

May order, I was glad to get the Tomix building since I have one of them already but no sticker sheet, luckily the sheet with the building has enough for to different buildings. The inside is boring but that's something I'll eventually fix. The road/rail trucks are nice, I honestly wish I would have got a second set of the yellow ones. Just beware that the rail axle underneath isn't held on very tight and like to drop off, use PVA glue just to keep it in place. Also more GuP containers, nice printing as usual.

may2021.thumb.jpg.773ec2fca314f0a596a1c31c52484788.jpg

June order, still have yet to assemble the Greenmax maintenance vehicles mainly due to the painting they require. The Tomix Runtec containers are passable next to the Hogarakadou ones but do have a lighter paint scheme, just makes them look 'weathered'. The Dainichi containers are REALLY blue though. Also some bikes and scooters, glued them to clear acetate with no problem. Also missing is the Chichibu Cement car set I got this month, I wish they had done a book case style case for it since KAto already did a two pack of the cars and I'm not really a fan of the cardboard cases.

june2021.thumb.jpg.d3abea36627e3de69b2077789e7ecdb0.jpg

Finally July, I missed that the transmission towers are different from the set I have now (no crossbar on top) so they're awaiting use. More GuP containers and JOT containers and the Wamu-kun freight car set, the book kind of reminded me of 'The Caboose Who Got Loose' (which I read a million times as a kid) and also gives some pretty good illustrations of JNR freight handling. It's also showing a disturbing trend in my collection...more and more JNR freight is starting to show up and I have an EF-15 on pre-order...

july2021.thumb.jpg.f1bcab4a126d355b597c7c3936809fce.jpg

• Like 5
On 8/19/2021 at 5:40 PM, Kamome said:

I’ve never really had any interest in being a cat owner but the thought of cats and model trains fillsme with absolute dread. 😂

There's a simple (and humane) way to keep them off of a layout: leave the track power turned on about a quarter of the way for a day. They won't bother it again.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:40 PM, nah00 said:

There's a simple (and humane) way to keep them off of a layout: leave the track power turned on about a quarter of the way for a day. They won't bother it again.

I haven't tried that, however I can testify that closing the door to the room with the layout in is extremely efficent. 😸

• Haha 5
On 8/24/2021 at 8:19 AM, MeTheSwede said:

closing the door to the room with the layout in is extremely efficent.

Simple is best approach, fair 'nuff! I'll take your word for it Swede, our last cat was put down years before I got my first train set, and our last dog was never all that interested in any of my model stuff (it wouldn't give him attention and he couldn't eat it - typical golden Labrador!).

I decided to relent to temptation and order two more things through HobbySearch - the World Kogei JiHaNi 6055 steam railcar and the Tomix 103 Osaka Loop Line 4-car set. The 103 because I have found I like 103s and can establish a Kyoto-Osaka theme, and the JiHaNi as a reminder of seeing the HoJi 6014 at SCMaglev and Railway Park in Nagoya two years ago. Plus I can justify the expensive purchase price of the latter as a treat for clearing my student loan next year. If I'm going to celebrate, I may as well do it properly...