What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Pauljag900
On 5/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, bill937ca said:

Hobby supplies including styrene sheets, micro brushes,  Tamiya and Josonja paint from the LHS.  Only curbside pick up right now. More paint applicators  coming  from Amazon.

IMG_8535 1920 x 1070.jpg

Looks like someone’s gonna be busy 👍👍😀

• Like 1
bill937ca

A big 200 piece pack of  2.0mm Micro Brush Cleaning Sticks Disposable Micro Applicators arrived from Canadian Amazon today. Much cheaper than buying Microbrush or Testors  packages at the LHS.  And right now with only curbside pickup I really don't know what they have in stock. Usually I don't track these items just buy what's on the shelf as part of buying locally owned and supporting the LHS. Another step in getting ready to do detail  work on a stack of  Greenmax commercial buildings of various heights.

IMG_8536  1920 x 1070.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I haven't brought much  from AmiAmi since they began collecting 15% tax for NZ govt , but finally relented for this C50 50th anniversary pack at just over 12000 yen including tax. Also quite a few spare parts as well as a V53 unitram set which is going to be used along with the unitram set I won on local auction site, for a special project. Also managed to score a Unitram double track RH point on the same auction site. watch this space. 

20210507_134201.jpg

20210507_134235.jpg

20210507_134307.jpg

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 6
Martijn Meerts

That C50 is a lovely little train, and a really nice anniversary box set 🙂

Yavianice
2 hours ago, beakaboy said:

I haven't brought much  from AmiAmi since they began collecting 15% tax for NZ govt

Wish I had 15% VAT...

disturbman

Hahaha. Me too. Though I’m glad I do not live in Denmark for example. The additional fees are much higher than in Germany.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Wish I had 15% VAT...

*Cries in 22%*

Edited by Socimi

Very similar to their swinging shinkansen couplers in 500, E4 etc. it does rely on those two bloody little pins in the chassis that have a tendency to break on the shinkansens. I’ve replaced a few snapped off ones with metal pins on mine and club members.

jeff

Yavianice
41 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I’ve replaced a few snapped off ones with metal pins on mine and club members.

Did you just drill a hole and superglued the metal pins in there?

Yep found some fine sewing pins with very small and thin flat heads on them (filed off the tiny bit of rounding on the top) and drilled a hole and then glued the head in place a tiny bit countersunk. Then snipped off pin to correct height. First attempt was very fine styrene rod but it snapped, tad too brittle.

the 500 sold well in the US to many non japanese train modelers, but the diaphragm coupler attached to the swing arm was a constant problem as many broke the couplers and some the tiny chassis stop pins. It took a lot of screaming for Kato to bring over a lot of coupler spares and some chassises for those not doing a DIY option. It was ironic as I bought my first E4 with 2 busted pins from a chap that had worked a deal with Kato back in very early 2000s to bring over a container of track and Japanese trains and they did a big setup at the chicago gift show (show for manufacturers to show off to buyers from all sorts of retail stores). They sold off all the stock they had brought over to all sorts of odd places apparently, not the usual hobby/train store route. They gave the guy all the viaduct sets and trains they had set up for the week long display, so he ended up selling them off on ebay. I ended with with like three practically new viaduct stations and double viaduct loops and a few trains for like 30 cents on the dollar. But it gave my my first lesson in Japanese train repair. Later I fixed another E4, I think an E2 and several 500s.

jeff

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

That C50 is a lovely little train, and a really nice anniversary box set 🙂

Yes. Almost reluctant to get it out and test run it, but I will

• Haha 1
serotta1972

Finally got my own after admiring all the ones previously posted. Another train added to my To Ride list on a future trip to Japan.

039FAA30-E86B-4653-B147-6B5938717480.jpeg

• Like 13

Question about Kato’s  Saphir Odoriko. 

To what extent is it lighted? Hobby Search mentions table lights in the dining car but isn’t clear about other lighting. 

roadstar_na6
4 hours ago, Sheffie said:

To what extent is it lighted?

You need to mount the interior light units yourself, but the prisms are already installed.

(Also head- and taillights are lit :P)

Presenting Exhibit A in the New Acquisitions lineup for 2021, the Tomix 7142 EF66-0. I brought this one after having seen two (complete) EF66’s during my 2019 holiday, the EF66 11 at Ōmiya and the EF66 35 at Kyoto.

This is the first locomotive I’ve brought brand-new direct through a store as opposed to buying via intermediaries and so far, I’m impressed with the details. No run time yet, you’ll have to wait to at least tomorrow for the final verdict.

Also found another little piece of paper with what I assume is the Takara Fan Club web address plus a nine-letter and digit code. This is the second one I’ve got so far, I had one with my 98713 wagon set last year too. Anyone know what the code’s all about and is it worthwhile joining or not?

EDD639B7-2B41-4E0D-87A8-013A9B351B11.jpeg

• Like 5

Small box of ZM treasures arrived.  The hunt was opened with the acquisition of the Bandai PU5 to power our DE10 Shorty (that will play the part of the KR5 on the Kashima RInkai Line).  Right at the tail end of our shopping/storage window, the long-hunted Kiha in old JNR colour finally came around at a price I was willing to pay.  The E127s are all conversion fodder for those lovely flat cab ends — they are earmarked for Kiha 11s on the Minato Line and E230/231 for the Suigun Line.  The pair of Truck Diorama boxes give us a second freight bay and matching colour pairs of all the cute little forklifts to go with our original carton.  And the fun custom find this round — the Black Cat truck with nice homemade decals!

ZM10May21.JPG

• Like 8
Dinosbacsi

Nice package. Love the Shorty stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Is that truck also N scale? Looks a bit big compared to the trains.

Also, my combined package from FromJapan also arrived today.

Lt5AvKb.jpg

From right to the left are:

• unassembled EF64-0 in new condition with stickers
  • spare 201 series cab car without chassis, which will be good for spare or trying DIY stuff
  • pre-assembled 4-car, high cab 103 series (with stickers installed and with front guards, for some reason)
  • zokutto style car from Kobaru
  • spare molding piece with 2 front guards, if I ever need them
  • package Kato shibata couplers

Sadly the plan fees and shipping costs really increased the price, but well, it is what it is. I have a bunch of new toys to play with, lol.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Dinosbacsi said:

Nice package. Love the Shorty stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Is that truck also N scale? Looks a bit big compared to the trains.

Yes, that's an N scale Tomytec truck hauling a 20' container.  

Shorty Kokis can carry (2) 12' or (1) 20', so this also fits in nicely with our modelling of the transportation systems of Ibaraki Shorty.
: 3

Edited by Cat
  • Like 2
JAPAN STAN

My EF66 just arrived from japan via plaza japan, I am impressed with their service.

Edited by disturbman
Please, no caps lock
  • Like 3

got some Kiha 28(tomix 2404) that is unpowered how do you install headlights on this what part number is needed? 

image.thumb.png.5f061cd1c5681a4a6f68f561575d0c1b.png

Edited by Englehart

That looks like a very old model not designed for lighting, does it even have pickups on the bogies? Or even metal wheels?

9 hours ago, railsquid said:

That looks like a very old model not designed for lighting, does it even have pickups on the bogies? Or even metal wheels?

nope i haven't converted it but here is the chasis it has provisions for it
image.thumb.png.f630f9b5ff23fc754ddab362abba2644.png

image.thumb.png.d560d3c941796da59582b9c965d48579.png

this last one has a space for a light for the headlights?
image.thumb.png.8df320335fecc243b2b5edc2a2bc4617.png

Mmmh, that really is an old model, doesn't look like there's any attempt at providing headlights at all. Going by the close-up shot of the front here: https://aucfree.com/items/e380230411 there's not even any light prism in the front headlights, and the taillights are just unpainted body moulding.

I'm not sure how old this is; it's not in my 1991 Tomix catalogue, and going by the way it's made, it certainly predates models of that era; I'd guess late 1970s or early/mid 1980s. There may or may not have been add-on parts available for headlights, but even if so, you wouldn't find those easily now.

• Like 1