What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Tony Galiani

Just received a small order from Model Trains Plus - sent on March 3rd and arrived this afternoon via Fed Ex.

Not only fast but well packed - the book was wrapped in plastic then in bubble wrap.  The other items had the same packing as well.  I really appreciate this - last December I ordered some magazines from Loco-Revue which were rather casually packed allowing water into the envelope.  I managed to save the magazines with about an hour's work with a hair dryer but that was annoying.

I used Nariichi's buying service to get the book and am glad I got it.  I really like the illustrations and ideas presented in this.  Even the simple layouts have nice design elements - I would have done my current tram project differently if I had this book when I started - in fact, looking at one of the small layouts I am tempted to stop it and start afresh.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

MTP order 1.jpg

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

Just received a small order from Model Trains Plus - sent on March 3rd and arrived this afternoon via Fed Ex.

Not only fast but well packed - the book was wrapped in plastic then in bubble wrap.  The other items had the same packing as well.  I really appreciate this - last December I ordered some magazines from Loco-Revue which were rather casually packed allowing water into the envelope.  I managed to save the magazines with about an hour's work with a hair dryer but that was annoying.

I used Nariichi's buying service to get the book and am glad I got it.  I really like the illustrations and ideas presented in this.  Even the simple layouts have nice design elements - I would have done my current tram project differently if I had this book when I started - in fact, looking at one of the small layouts I am tempted to stop it and start afresh.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

MTP order 1.jpg

The book looks interesting. The plans on the front alone look excellent. I may ask Nariichi to pick up a copy for me too. Can you tell me the title and author? Nariichi is awesome. He's really gone above and beyond to get me some parts in the past. 

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

I just sent him an e-mail with a picture of the book and he got it for me.  If you want, I can send you a picture of it - I am sure if you send him that and mention he just got one for me, I sure he can do it for you as well.  He does charge for the personal buying service but I didn't mind - I am always happy to support a small business.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2

I also have this book. The illustrations are wonderful and show 2D and 3D perspectives for each layout. Each layout's final illustration is the track plan and parts list using either Tomix or Kato track.

- - - Paul

Forgot to mention that the author, Ikeda Kunihiko 池田邦彦, is also a manga artist with several train-oriented manga.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/池田邦彦

Edited by pbunter
added new information
  • Like 2

a small order from Hobbylink Japan received recently. They had a half price deal for 24hrs. The controller was 4900yen. Its my first TCS throttle and its brilliant having the lights on and train not moving.   

20210306_220830.jpg

20210306_220940.jpg

20210306_221010.jpg

• Like 7
serotta1972

A new addition to my little collection of Japanese steam locos - thank you @Kiha66 for adding to your order and save me some $$ on shipping.  The detail on this little guys continue to amaze me and adding the number boards and front detail was a little challenging.  The brake car has better detail than my O scale cabooses I shared the other day.  

1863592567_DFeXEFPRDe8jgMmbUCpw.thumb.jpg.f08b007d4b8244de1edb73f098f22c96.jpgpigD7PxbTNOQaPyGSpG1Xg.thumb.jpg.b991e0da5e19503469e01541c0ae1a36.jpg

• Like 12

Tomytec Toyama Chiho Railway Tram line DE70000 # 7018 and Kato 14-804-1 Hiroshima Electric Railway 1000 Greenmover LEX.

Surface parcel from Japan. Shipped December 21, 2020, arrived March 9, 2021. Now it probably went nowhere until after the Japanese New Year so not too bad.

IMG_8423 1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 9

It is a gem, worth the cost. I love the illustration style, very nice feel to it, you can feel the hand there.

jeff

• Like 3
17 hours ago, cteno4 said:

It is a gem, worth the cost. I love the illustration style, very nice feel to it, you can feel the hand there.

jeff

The author of this book has a Twitter account where there are plans and drawings also. He is the author of the Yamanote sen monogatari manga too.

https://twitter.com/yayotcha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

OK, so consensus is that Tony's book is a good buy... I shall have to consider buying one myself.

In the meantime, I have decided to bite the bullet and preorder another new train - yep, I have a backlog with Hobbysearch waiting for everything to drop over the next three months! This time I've gone for another train I have ridden on: the Tomix 97935 Series 103 commuter train.

Way back in May 2019 I was rather lucky to get one of JR West's two remaining Series 103 sets from Fushimi-Inari to Kyoto after visiting Tofukuji Temple and Fushimi Inari Shrine on one of the few days I wandered around Kyoto (most of my time was spent chasing trains!). It was my second encounter with older JR types after I caught a 205-1000 series set home from Tofukuji the night before coming back from the Marklin store in Osaka via the Keihan line. (Wouldn't be my last though - I had at least one encounter with a 415 Series on Kyushu during my brief visit there.)

Fast forward to earlier this year, the new Tomix models are tempting me, and then @200系 then drops a brief history of that particular set (NS407) on this very thread. That was it for me! Now all I need to buy are the tools to help me install the transfers. One of those little rubbing tools with a ball-shaped head should do for this right? And just take it easy when doing that front window number?

And just 'cause I can here's a picture of the real train pulling into Fushimi-Inari on 24 May 2019. Wonderful day for a wander around, looking back at my photos for the day I then went on to discover Popondetta Kyoto Aeon Mall before visiting Wanto Burger in Kobe for dinner, and then to bed early for the day's jaunt to Kyushu Railway Museum, Hakata Station and the SL Yamaguchi. Damn I'm a sucker for mileage!

IMG_2531.JPG

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, ED75-775 said:

Now all I need to buy are the tools to help me install the transfers. One of those little rubbing tools with a ball-shaped head should do for this right?

Yes, personally, I use the slightly rounded and pointy-ish back-tip of a pair of tweezers I have. Works like a charm. The transfers need a little practice, but I find them easy to place. When you rub, you can see the thin transparent layer become slightly darker once the transfer adheres to the model.

53 minutes ago, ED75-775 said:

OK, so consensus is that Tony's book is a good buy... I shall have to consider buying one myself.

In the meantime, I have decided to bite the bullet and preorder another new train - yep, I have a backlog with Hobbysearch waiting for everything to drop over the next three months! This time I've gone for another train I have ridden on: the Tomix 97935 Series 103 commuter train.

Way back in May 2019 I was rather lucky to get one of JR West's two remaining Series 103 sets from Fushimi-Inari to Kyoto after visiting Tofukuji Temple and Fushimi Inari Shrine on one of the few days I wandered around Kyoto (most of my time was spent chasing trains!). It was my second encounter with older JR types after I caught a 205-1000 series set home from Tofukuji the night before coming back from the Marklin store in Osaka via the Keihan line. (Wouldn't be my last though - I had at least one encounter with a 415 Series on Kyushu during my brief visit there.)

Fast forward to earlier this year, the new Tomix models are tempting me, and then @200系 then drops a brief history of that particular set (NS407) on this very thread. That was it for me! Now all I need to buy are the tools to help me install the transfers. One of those little rubbing tools with a ball-shaped head should do for this right? And just take it easy when doing that front window number?

And just 'cause I can here's a picture of the real train pulling into Fushimi-Inari on 24 May 2019. Wonderful day for a wander around, looking back at my photos for the day I then went on to discover Popondetta Kyoto Aeon Mall before visiting Wanto Burger in Kobe for dinner, and then to bed early for the day's jaunt to Kyushu Railway Museum, Hakata Station and the SL Yamaguchi. Damn I'm a sucker for mileage!

IMG_2531.JPG

Got the same on pre-order. Been awaiting 6 years for a manufacturer other than greenmax to make these.

I’ve got the cheap kato version 😂😂😂detail is rubbish but it runs superb and is extremely smooth,one of the best runners I ve had👍😀

Edited by disturbman
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

The little rubbing tool is called a burnisher. You can find inexpensive ones as nail decorating tools, called dotting tools (used to do dots of paint).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-set-2-Way-Wooden-Nail-Art-DIY-Dotting-Dot-Pen-Marbleizing-Manicure-Tools-CA/383865477413?hash=item59602a5925:g:sjIAAOSwmkpZ8pXu

cneers,

jeff

I bought a set of those. Must have been on your recommendation. I had completely forgotten what they were for. It's been a real mystery for me for quite a while!

• Haha 4

Another small package in an oversized box, lol. This pre-assembled B Train Shorty 201 series will be a great company for my 205 series. And I got it for really cheap - pretty much for quarter of the price of what I paid for the 205.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7