What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Ah, I was looking at the export website, I didn't know you could order internationally from their Japan site.

The Japanese website is kinda stuck in the 90's, no shop system but just listings for mail-/fax-order 😄 

Most of us just order stuff through IG/FB/E-Mail from there 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Kiha66,

Yes I went to the website http://www.railgallery-r.com/n-main_1/02_N_KATO_2c_UnitSt.html and used Google Translate to understand what was in stock.  I then emailed, using the contact page on the export webpage, asking if the items were available and at what price.  It took a while but I got a reply (in English) answering availability and export price.  The export price seems to be their price (mostly discounted) without the tax.  I confirmed my order by return email and the goods were dispatched almost immediately  arriving at my home in Australia in 3 days!  The shipping (by DHL) was pretty expensive because my order was quite bulky but was very securely wrapped and packed by GR-Rokko.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ordered from Plaza Japan:

- one set of 4 Kato minivans, the variation including a kindergarten bus

- some more Tamiya 5mm foam board

- a pair of Z gauge buffer stops, one of which should be suitable for the mine entrance 

- a Tomytec kit Komono 122 Bus Stop C. Not sure if it makes one or two stops; I only need one 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3

@railsquid, thank you for the detailed response. As a perfectionist though, I think the difference in coupling distance between the powered car and the other cars might bother me too much to be worth it, so I'll keep the Kato tight locks for now I guess (and see if I can find some fitting diaphragms to lessen the impact I guess).

Once again, thank you for the info!

On 2/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, JR 500系 said:

I'm not a fan of Tomix due to this... I had installed several 0336s and 0337s (difference only being in colour) on Tomix/ GM/ Ace trains and often have trouble with derailments... I realise if one did not snap off enough of the original Rapido ones to fit in the TN ones, the bogies could hit small little bumps on the 'severed' areas and cause the bogie to have a lower turning radius than it ought to, result in derailments especially in tight turns... 

I get where you're coming from, though for me tight curves are not as much of an issue (I'm using R381 radius curves as the absolute minimum) in comparison to all the extra work you have to do on most, standard,Tomix sets (couplers, car numbers etc), especially if you exclusively run full formations.

Now don't get me wrong I do really like Tomix as a manufacturer, and I love their HG sets (which comprise the majority of my non shinkansen Tomix sets), however, when a comparable Kato set has A) body mounted tight locks (the newer ones, without the hooks are, imho, almost as good as the Tomix TN couplers, and the older ones are still very close) B) the car numbers, car number annotations and formation numbers etc already printed (though MA is even better in this regard) and C) still has a slightly cheaper purchase price, even for a full formation, while still providing the same (or in some areas even better) level of detailing/ accuracy in the modelling.

In general it's not that big of a deal, and I'll happily buy Tomix as shown in this very thread, but these small things do start to add up...

On 2/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, railsquid said:

What really annoys me though is the Tomix/Kato coupling schism - it would be great if there was some kind of common standard for "advanced" coupling mechanisms.

Coupler compatibility is one of the very few areas where I think the Japanese modelling scene might benefit from an NMRA style system of standards, especially with regards to the loco hauled trains.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand,

My 10th (I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be proud or ashamed of this achievement, especially with number 11 on pre-order, so I'll settle for 'ashamed to be proud' in the meantime...)  103 series formation arrived at my doorstep some time ago.

Greenmax, JR West 4 car 103 series formation NS407, as she appeared after her 2020 inspection.

NS407 is one of the two remaining 103 series formations left on the Nara Line, the other being NS409 (which has completed her latest general inspection last December), and as I was lucky enough to still catch a ride on NS407 during my latest visit in 2019 (though I had always intended to use one of the local services from Nara back to Kyōto from the beginning, as I didn't have a specific time of return I had expected to find myself on one of the 205 series formations (which would have been welcome as well, just slightly less so) so I was pleasantly surprised to find NS407 waiting for me at Nara), as well as being a big 103 series fan, I just couldn't stop myself from pre-ordering this set.

DSC_0170

Both KuHa 103 type end cars were originally built for the Yamanote line as part of the 1973 production batch, though they were transferred to the Keihanshin area (Kyōto/Ōsaka/Kōbe section of the Tōkaidō main line) in 1974 (which was converted, on relatively short notice, to ATC in 1974, hence the non-atc compatible end cars became surplus), and were combined with new built MoHa 102/103 type cars. Though a number of the later NS formations were transferred for use on the Nara line after the introduction of the 207 series 0 sub-type, and the first 207 series 1000 sub-type cars between 1991 and 1994 displaced them, the 4 cars of what is now formation NS407 would be transferred to the Kansai main line (as 6 car formations) in order to replace the 101 series. The 101 series had to be replaced because a large part of the fleet had been damaged beyond economical repair because of flooding damage caused by a typhoon in august of 1982 (that seems familiar somehow, I wonder why...).

After privatisation, KuHa 103-215 and KuHa 103-216 cars have gone through JR West's NA life extension work, while MoHa 102-614 and MoHa 103-458 have received the slightly more extensive (but still short of the later 40N and 30N construction improvement programs) N40 life extension.

DSC_0173

Note the black window sash. This is actually one of the easiest way to identify any cars which have underwent the N40 life extension.

-Sander

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 200系 said:

DSC_0170

Both KuHa 103 type end cars were originally built for the Yamanote line as part of the 1973 production batch, though they were transferred to the Keihanshin area (Kyōto/Ōsaka/Kōbe section of the Tōkaidō main line) in 1974 (which was converted, on relatively short notice, to ATC in 1974, hence the non-atc compatible end cars became surplus), and were combined with new built MoHa 102/103 type cars. Though a number of the later NS formations were transferred for use on the Nara line after the introduction of the 207 series 0 sub-type, and the first 207 series 1000 sub-type cars between 1991 and 1994 displaced them, the 4 cars of what is now formation NS407 would be transferred to the Kansai main line (as 6 car formations) in order to replace the 101 series. The 101 series had to be replaced because a large part of the fleet had been damaged beyond economical repair because of flooding damage caused by a typhoon in august of 1982 (that seems familiar somehow, I wonder why...).

Slightly OT, but some of those 101s were replaced by surplus Kanto area units, which were repainted and sent west under their own power. Here's one set  on the Chuo Line at Musashi-Koganei: http://kokuden.net/mc53/shinseinodensya-HP/sakuin-1/sub101/sub101-M52Mc0-47/sub101-M52Mc0-47.htm (two pictures at the bottom of the page), and an unidentified set at Shinagawa a couple of days later:http://jigyourin.web.fc2.com/toukaidou8-3.html  (6th picture down). (This has neatly solved the problem of what to do with the Kansai-colour MicroAce 101 I acquired a long time back on a Chuo Line-focussed layout 😄 )

Edited to add: a presumed pic of such a set at an unidentified location on an unidentified date: https://ozayo1965.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-2592.html

in the comments it was established the photograph must have been from 1982, and the set has the temporary ATS attachment visible in the other linked photos; photographer appears to be based in the Nagoya area so it might be somewhere around there.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
Yavaris Forge

My first FedEx package arrived today. I was kinda shocked of how fast it got here in just about two days because I had shipped everything with SAL or seamail up until now. Contents were some things I ordered from Yahoo Auctions:

-Two junk locomotives, a Kato 701 DD13 and a Tomix 2204 DF50, the Kato one being from the late 70s I think.

-3 Kato 8008-6 Taki 3000

-1 Kato 5269 Ohani 61

-some Kato couplers and a Tomix 6215 storage case for freight cars

-and at last two Märklin BR44s I ordered for my brother and father which are now back in the country they came from 🙂

buyee_order_2021-02-22.jpeg

• Like 7
Peter Osborne

Two JR central items this week firstly a 2 car Green Max kiha 75 nice unit very mechanically similar to most of the second generation DMUs here in the UK , 

secondly a used TOMIX 373 3 car set second hand via yahoo auction very good price due to a damage pantograph that was quickly obtained from hobby search all in about £33 train and new pantograph next in the post is a KATO EH500 and 681 Shiragasi set 

69327CA3-5D0C-40DF-A93B-CF6654E3DC5B.jpeg

0194A8C9-2714-4253-B110-2A08BBD63D28.jpeg

• Like 5

Feeling quite smug, this is one of the bargains I found this week, been on the hunt for some cheap DC controllers and found this bundle on Facebook ( excuses the fact this in a OO/HO bundle) Advertised as “Free”.  I paid £3.20 postage and here it is. Bachmann controller with power pack, a couple of wagons, some track piers and a piece of track.

Parts 2 & 3 to follow 

CD6B2D0C-577C-48EC-90E9-039E4E9D0FF2.jpeg

Edited by Kanpai Keith
  • Like 2

Somewhat randomly, three packages arrived today. 

0A72D01C-2DCF-4653-821F-0579154CD63B.thumb.jpeg.460cf7d10bfa5fe0d419fd4aee012352.jpegBus kits, Z gauge buffers, minivans, foam board, knuckle couplers, and a non Japanese wagon. 

• Like 5

If the controllers use a plain 12v DC centre positive PSU then have a rummage through any old computer kit you have. My home built PWM controller uses the "wall wart" from an old router which was on its way to the tip.

If you pop the brake van and Lowmac on ebay you'll probably make the purchase price back.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I'm more than a bit jealous. I've never seen a single Japanese N scale item on Facebook marketplace. 

All 3 Bachmann controllers from Facebook, the 373 was from eBay.......look at the sold listings.......you’ll see it.

There’s usually a few Kato N scale bits about on Facebook and I picked up a nice pair of Tomix KiHa 10s last year.  Not sure why though, probably because I didn’t have a lot of rolling stock.....I might list them back on Facebook just for you 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

If the controllers use a plain 12v DC centre positive PSU then have a rummage through any old computer kit you have. My home built PWM controller uses the "wall wart" from an old router which was on its way to the tip.

If you pop the brake van and Lowmac on ebay you'll probably make the purchase price back.

They’re a 16v which I’m sure I came across somewhere last week.

Ahh, 16v AC?

Can be a good use for old controllers which are a bit too rough for modern motors (like H&M Duettes and similar), just use the accessory output for a newer controller. I run my Marklin digital controller from the fixed 16v output of one of their analog controllers, as I usually only have one or two locos and a few lights on rolling stock it copes perfectly.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

Ahh, 16v AC?

Can be a good use for old controllers which are a bit too rough for modern motors (like H&M Duettes and similar), just use the accessory output for a newer controller. I run my Marklin digital controller from the fixed 16v output of one of their analog controllers, as I usually only have one or two locos and a few lights on rolling stock it copes perfectly.

I’ll stick a meter on them, both using a 12v and 16v supply.  See what I get on the track.

Most of the power supplies that use 15 ot 16v ac input put out 12v dc as the rectifying diodes and voltage controller each suck up a volt or so.

@Welshbloke how has your little ebay pwm controller worked out? I’ve only fiddled with mine with a few trams but not got around to testing a lot of mechs out yet.

jeff

• Like 1