What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

some more additions to the fleet as well as a couple of other misc all on sale at Hobbysearch. The P3A Orion is an odd scale at 1/115 but is part of my growing collection of New Zealand aircraft most of which are 1/144.  The plan is to incorporate part of an airfield on our modular TT layout for displaying aircraft at shows with the ability to change the models over the 2 days that shows normally run for. 

20210214_190023.jpg

20210214_190659.jpg

20210214_190801.jpg

20210214_190816.jpg

• Like 8

Received a box of goodies from RG-Rokko today which were ordered and packed on Thursday and delivered to me in Australia Monday!  Great service and packaging  from RG-Rokko and super fast delivery (if eye wateringly expensive) from DHL.

If I can't visit Kyoto again for a while because of COVID, I can bring back memories by building an approximation of the Roundhouse and turntable...and have somewhere to show off all those SLs.  Now the fun begins!!  

DSCF7850.jpeg

DSCF7851.jpeg

• Like 11
Peter Osborne

Hopefully today a Green Max 2 car Ki Ha 75 from RG Rokko again exceptional service and speed Friday -Monday to the UK , I know Green Max are expensive but just a model I want, I’ve the KATO Ki Ha 25 on order for re-release in June same 2 cars but half the price 

Peter Osborne
4 hours ago, Peter Osborne said:

Hopefully today a Green Max 2 car Ki Ha 75 from RG Rokko again exceptional service and speed Friday -Monday to the UK , I know Green Max are expensive but just a model I want, I’ve the KATO Ki Ha 25 on order for re-release in June same 2 cars but half the price 

Arrived very pleased will have a better look later 🙂 

92C14006-46DA-4CD1-82F7-805559252765.jpeg

• Like 4

Got my Cow Train today, and some vehicles. I really need to stop buying novelties like this and focus more on what my layout actually needs!!

MbJo9Lp.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

I suffer a weakness for prototype diesel locos in interesting liveries.

Do you have a family picture of those lovelies?

• Haha 2

@railsquid, As the coupling distance looks nice and close, I was wondering what type of couplers you are using for your Eidan 2000 type set?

I've wanted to purchase Tomix TN couplers for my Ōsaka Municipal Transportation Bureau (or Just the Ōsaka subway, to be less pretentious) 5000 type/50 series. However, as they are 18m class cars, the bogies are situated near the end of the car (same as the 16m classes like your Eidan set) I thought they might restrict bogie movements too much for reliable operations, so in turn I decided to use the Kato tightlocks, which still leave a huge gap because the tomytec coupler shaft extends quite far beyond the car ends.

So I was wondering if you did any modifications to make the TN couplers fit, use other couplers or if they simply fit without any modifications (i.e. my fears were unfounded)?

As for my own (pre-)orders, I've decided to concentrate all my new additions for the last trimester (Oct-Dec 2020), due to the number of reserved items coming in. As this has proven to be a lot more work than I originally anticipated, that might not have been the best choice...

Shinkansen

The last quarter of 2020 was relatively quiet in terms of shinkansen models, at least in terms of those I still wanted/needed to add to my collection (January 2021 had more than compensated for this, though that's another story), certainly in comparison to the previous quarter.

However, as a 500 series V formation (in the standard livery, not any of the special liveries formation V2 carried over the last few years) had been, low-key, on my wishlist for at least the past 7 years, the announcement that Tomix would be re-issuing this model with their new motor was more than welcome to me.

Though the V formations are far from my favourite version of the 500 series shinkansen, I've always considered the 16 car W formations to be the definitive version of the 500 series (longer formations in general have always looked a lot better to me, but in case of the 500 series I think this is especially true as the long nose is balanced out by the length of the 16 car formation, I think the same holds true for other (shortened) formations (e.g. the 0 series (W)R formations, 100 series P/K formations etc) however, because of the nose design it's much more noticeable on the 500 series (my opinion, of course 😉)), however as the first V formations entered service during the last years of service for the 0 series (W)R formations (or to be more precise, the V formations were formed to replace the final 0 series formations) I still hoped to add one to my collection one day.

Tomix 500 series, 8 car V formations (V2~V9):

DSC_0099

Kantō Area commuter/suburban

Tomix 11 car Yamanote line E231 series 500 sub-type formation.

This is the later version of the 500 sub-types (post 2010~2011), including the 4 door replacement SaHa E231 series 4600 sub-type car.

Another one that had been on my list ever since I first rode them in 2011. Though I have a slight preference for the Kato E231 series models, I still think the Tomix model is excellent, and as they announced some improvements for this model (hooray for adding more of the cab interior) I had no qualms reserving the new Tomix version of this model.

DSC_0121

In the category: how many 103 series models do you want/need?! (to which the correct answer is always: yes!),

Tomix Chūo-Sōbu Slow Line 103 series 10 car formation, all cars air-conditioned.

I've wanted a post 5 way commuter plan implementation (~1972~1982) (6M4T, with a KuHa 103 car on both ends) low cab 10 car formation for a while (my other low cab formations are shorter, Kansai area J.N.R./JR West formations) And as the Chūō-Sōbu line was one of the few, major, Tōkyō area (within the 23 special wards) commuter lines to still use low cab KuHa 103 cars by the time of the J.N.R. split. And as the aforementioned line happens to be one of my favourite Kantō area railway lines, Tomix announcing their new (using the new motor) release meant I didn't have to think long about reserving a full formation.

Going by the available numbers, and details, the KuHa 103 type cars, represent 1973 production batch cars. These were the last batch of low cab 103 series cars to be built, before the production switched to the high cab design for the 1974 production batch. These cars were fitted with air conditioning from the factory (AU75 series), unitised passenger windows and sealed beam headlights, all features which had been introduced with the 1972 production batch. These KuHa 103 type cars were originally built for the Chūō line, and were transferred to the Chūō-Sōbu line after they were replaced by new built 201 series in 1983. The MoHa 102/103 and SaHa 103 type cars were, as far as I could find based on the select able car numbers, a mix of 1973 and later production batches (1974~1979), with the 1979 built cars being the only cars purpose built for the Chūō-Sōbu line (the 103 series was introduced on this line starting in 1979). 

DSC_0141

Remaining in roughly the same area, but moving firmly into the Heisei era, the MicroAce 113 series 1000 sub-type 8 car formation (4 car formation plus attached 4 car formation, still need to fit the couplers to allow them to run together though...), Yokosuka colours, as used in the Bōsō area.

Though this model represents two Yokosuka coloured formations (243+248), they were actually part of the first group of 113 series 1000 sub-type cars built for local services in the Bōsō area in 1969. They can be easily recognised by the non-unitised windows (unitised windows were introduced from 1972 onward) and the window behind the driver (which the 113 series cars built for the Sōbu Rapid/Yokosuka line (post 1979 start of the connection of both lines) lacked because of the installation of the necessary ATC equipment). This was different from the 113 series 1000 sub-type cars built between 1972/1973 for the opening of the Sōbu Rapid line, and the opening of the Tōkyō tunnel in 1974, or the 113 series 1500 sub-type cars built for the start of the Sōbu-Yokosuka line services in 1979.

They were fitted with distributed type air conditioning units (AU102 series if I'm not mistaken) after the J.N.R. split, and would be replaced by late production 113 series 2000/1500 and 0 sub-type cars transferred in from the Tōkaidō Main line in 2006.

DSC_0101

JNR Loco Hauled/misc

Though I am a dedicated EMU fan, I couldn't pass up the latest Kato KiHa 58 (final production batches with the wrap around cab windows).

I decided to go for the longest possible formation without having to use any duplicate car numbers and running in one of the areas representing I'm collecting, so I settled on the ltd. Express Kinokuni.

Kato Kiha 58:

DSC_0128

To further expand my fleet of J.N.R. old type passenger, I received 3 of the Kato re-releases in October. This included a SuHa 43, SuHaFu 42 and an OHa47:

DSC_0105DSC_0106DSC_0103DSC_0107

Which finally allowed me to form a prototypical consist for my D51.

In the same category, I also received the Tomix 6 car Tōhoku Main line local set. This set represents a typical, EL hauled, mixed local train, as could be seen on the AC section of the Tōhoku Main line up until the mid 1980's. It includes a mix of SuHa 32 series, OHa 35 series, SuHa 43 series and 60 series passenger cars.

DSC_0135

DSC_0138

DSC_0136

Interesting to note, as all cars are numbered into the 2000 sub-types, which means they received electric heaters during their reconstruction in the early 1960's.

As these reconstructions could vary wildly depending on which vehicle centre where the work was performed, similar to the old type EMUs going through reconstruction work in the same period, differences between individual cars could be quite substantial, note for example the aluminium window sash on the SuHaFu 42 type car (as seen below).

And just because I could (and wanted to), I also ordered the accompanying Tomix ED75-0 locomotive.

I decided to go for the early version (with the visors above the cab windows) as I already own a Kato ED75-1000, which uses the later body style.

I still have to attach the number/manufacturer plates (yay...).

DSC_0132

And to expand my modest, but growing, J.N.R. era freight car fleet, I also reserved the mixed freight set as well.

DSC_0129

-Sander

Edited by 200系
forgot to include a section on the 113 series.
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, 200系 said:

@railsquid, As the coupling distance looks nice and close, I was wondering what type of couplers you are using for your Eidan 2000 type set?

I've wanted to purchase Tomix TN couplers for my Ōsaka Municipal Transportation Bureau (or Just the Ōsaka subway, to be less pretentious) 5000 type/50 series. However, as they are 18m class cars, the bogies are situated near the end of the car (same as the 16m classes like your Eidan set) I thought they might restrict bogie movements too much for reliable operations, so in turn I decided to use the Kato tightlocks, which still leave a huge gap because the tomytec coupler shaft extends quite far beyond the car ends.

So I was wondering if you did any modifications to make the TN couplers fit, use other couplers or if they simply fit without any modifications (i.e. my fears were unfounded)?

For the unpowered cars, I used Tomix 0336; however it's necessary to cut off the Tomytec coupler shaft (just like with normal Tomix models) otherwise the shaft just fouls the underside of the TN coupler unit. If you don't want do to that, you could turn the bogie around but then the shaft would foul the little tab on the underside which prevents the bogie swinging out too much.

With the powered car, it's impossible to fit the bodymounted TN couplers; instead I used Tomix 0381, which are compatible and fit into the Tomytec Rapido pocket; not quite perfectly but well enough. I think that results in a slightly larger gap than with the body mounted ones, but it doesn't stand out.

The whole formation has proven nice and reliable and runs round my layout (which has some sections which are quite good at "detecting" coupling issues) without problems.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ordered and got delivered somewhat similar as what @gavino200 had, the daily train mooovving along!

20210215_195324.thumb.jpg.78de772e9c80fb3c49c3062e0a9dda79.jpg

20210215_195410.thumb.jpg.5e337689fddcf5ff9512a9b146df0de9.jpg

20210215_195451.thumb.jpg.68442b58b54a757d1f4d4540f3e0ab41.jpg

Man this train is REALLY cute!

20210215_195606.thumb.jpg.00cdd3bd426a8bf1ae67e1946dc2e4ee.jpg

Missed the previous police vans, and there is also a new school bus in the other set 

20210215_195838.thumb.jpg.81d1f281a7d75fe74a0e499238c8a0c2.jpg

I'm loving this aritculated bus alot!

• Like 7
8 hours ago, railsquid said:

For the unpowered cars, I used Tomix 0336; however it's necessary to cut off the Tomytec coupler shaft (just like with normal Tomix models) otherwise the shaft just fouls the underside of the TN coupler unit. If you don't want do to that, you could turn the bogie around but then the shaft would foul the little tab on the underside which prevents the bogie swinging out too much.

With the powered car, it's impossible to fit the bodymounted TN couplers; instead I used Tomix 0381, which are compatible and fit into the Tomytec Rapido pocket; not quite perfectly but well enough. I think that results in a slightly larger gap than with the body mounted ones, but it doesn't stand out.

The whole formation has proven nice and reliable and runs round my layout (which has some sections which are quite good at "detecting" coupling issues) without problems.

I'm not a fan of Tomix due to this... I had installed several 0336s and 0337s (difference only being in colour) on Tomix/ GM/ Ace trains and often have trouble with derailments... I realise if one did not snap off enough of the original Rapido ones to fit in the TN ones, the bogies could hit small little bumps on the 'severed' areas and cause the bogie to have a lower turning radius than it ought to, result in derailments especially in tight turns... 

Visually it is nice, but it sorts of sacrifaces practicability... It is also an irreversible change... Some Ace models do come with clip off type of Rapidos so one need not sever off the coupler, but never did i see these on GM or Tomix models....

1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

I'm not a fan of Tomix due to this... I had installed several 0336s and 0337s (difference only being in colour) on Tomix/ GM/ Ace trains and often have trouble with derailments... I realise if one did not snap off enough of the original Rapido ones to fit in the TN ones, the bogies could hit small little bumps on the 'severed' areas and cause the bogie to have a lower turning radius than it ought to, result in derailments especially in tight turns... 

I'm surprised by what you are reporting. I had a few issues with TNs, but that was with the older item numbers. I had a few that would come off by themselves or simply "explode". But I never experienced any issues with the most recent ones (post 2011), and they certainly never derailed any of my trains.

On Tomix trains, you have to cut the arm/tab holding the Rapido directly at its base, where it meets the ring. On MA trains, you just need to remove the coupler box. No breaking, no cutting. Some MA trains do not accept body mounted couplers, but they are rare. Like the Keihan 800 or the 10 Series.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Visually it is nice, but it sorts of sacrifaces practicability... It is also an irreversible change... Some Ace models do come with clip off type of Rapidos so one need not sever off the coupler, but never did i see these on GM or Tomix models....

Hmm, haven't had any particular issues with the body-mounted couplers, apart from a couple of cases where they resulted the coupling being too close and the train bodies themselves were at risk of touching on bends. I don't have anything tighter than 280mm, however.

It is annoying that you need to cut off the Rapido coupler shafts with Tomix, MicroAce definitely have the better solution there (and it's pretty universal). A compromise workaround are the 0381 (black) and 0382 (grey) couplers, which fit into Rapido pockets; here'a an ancient Tomix 103 series (without the body mount attachments) usuing those I "renovated:" a while back:

45157682251_ba49231858_z.jpg

Tomix 103 series Chuo-Sobu line: corridor connectors by Rail Squid, on Flickr

They are however fiddly to assemble, but are compatible with 0336/0337.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, disturbman said:

I'm surprised by what you are reporting. I had a few issues with TNs, but that was with the older item numbers. I had a few that would come off by themselves or simply "explode". But I never experienced any issues with the most recent ones (post 2011), and they certainly never derailed any of my trains.

Hmm, I find if you're a bit careless and accidentally twist one out of shape a little (e.g. when removing from a body), they do sometimes fly apart, and are a pain to reassemble. They do also sometimes appear to fit into place but then fall off when coupled, though once properly fitted they are fine.

What really annoys me though is the Tomix/Kato coupling schism - it would be great if there was some kind of common standard for "advanced" coupling mechanisms.

7 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Hmm, I find if you're a bit careless and accidentally twist one out of shape a little (e.g. when removing from a body), they do sometimes fly apart, and are a pain to reassemble. They do also sometimes appear to fit into place but then fall off when coupled, though once properly fitted they are fine.

Maybe I just learned my lesson 😔

@JR 500系I would check the sets with which you have the issues and try to manually troubleshoot them. If there is a bad interaction between the coupler and the boggie. I don't think you should be having the issues you are reporting.

7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Now the bodies are closer, they are probably touching.

Banked curves R280mm and/or smaller curves become an issue.

Nice Kato 10-182 253 Narita Express arrived today.  It’s the early 3+3 set.  Unfortunately missing it’s decals, I see Kato used to sell these separately item 11-386 but alas know more.  I can only hope someone on here has spares they wish to part with 😉

FA3A9675-F201-4C08-B71F-41095920CFAC.jpeg

7599A4ED-E7D7-424A-806B-3FC7C7F03383.jpeg

• Like 5
On 2/6/2021 at 11:01 PM, Kamome said:

There’s a number of possibilities although n scale products are 1:160. The loads that the Shiki comes with are fine but will look into other options. They do match the Tomix substation model from what i can see. Modern images of the actual wagons have loads similar to those on Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/trains?type=product&q=transformer

Thank you!

• Like 1
On 2/7/2021 at 12:34 AM, railsquid said:

This pack is part number is 29-953-1 ("EC用集電バネ6014"), pack of 20; these are the copper strips which relay power from the bogie pickups to the motor/lighting.

What do you mean by "brass pieces for interior lighting"?

Hi

Thank you! In my clumsy expression I just meant what you mean (copper instead of brass) 🙂 I´m designing 3D printed interiour lighting parts. LEDs were no issue, but those copper pieces. I tried to cut them by myself out of a roll of thin copper. But I think I lack of the right tools. So I was happy to see that Kato sells them.

bye, Tibor

• Like 3
On 2/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, SL-san said:

Received a box of goodies from RG-Rokko today which were ordered and packed on Thursday and delivered to me in Australia Monday!  Great service and packaging  from RG-Rokko and super fast delivery (if eye wateringly expensive) from DHL.

If I can't visit Kyoto again for a while because of COVID, I can bring back memories by building an approximation of the Roundhouse and turntable...and have somewhere to show off all those SLs.  Now the fun begins!! 

Wow, looks like you're ready for a whole layout with that box!  How did you order the unitrak/roundhouse parts for RG Rokko, I don't see them listed on their website?

• Like 1