What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

On 8/11/2019 at 4:38 AM, Kamome said:

Nothing hugely exciting.  Grabbed some tram innards for my dormant Chikuho Dentetsu 2000 series so I can run them all without switching body shells. These always seem to be difficult to find, possibly as Tomytec has had to produce so many slightly different units.

Now need to find a suitable case to put them all in and in the future invest in some head/tail light kits 

18D0AC31-3C62-4E4E-B6B3-B7CB27FEB687.jpeg

57242EC5-DDB3-4BB0-9A26-F62563BCC031.jpeg

Digging up the past here, but do you have the Tomytec item numbers for these please?

Received my new DCC setup today, plus a few odds and ends. Looking forward to setting up a test loop and learning how to use it. 

hjMsmnj.jpg?1

• Like 5
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Received my new DCC setup today, plus a few odds and ends. Looking forward to setting up a test loop and learning how to use it. 

hjMsmnj.jpg?1

Wow, my head is spinning just looking at it. I'm sure its going to be awesome once you have everything set up!

• Like 2

My first little package for 2021 - a new addition to my Kintetsu Limited Express fleet, Series 80000 "Hinotori".  Another train on my to ride list. 🙂IMG_0429.thumb.jpg.324168a52013b3b945bda0ac1d3cd7e5.jpgIMG_0430.thumb.jpg.db07ac6f845daa7fd14d0d2b37ac538b.jpg

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Kanpai Keith said:

Digging up the past here, but do you have the Tomytec item numbers for these please?

Glad you like them. The line is relatively close to me and I used to use it some years ago on my commute.

Hope you found the information from @disturbman useful.

For some reason any Hobbysearch page links for me just take me to the front end of the website rather than the page in question. Possibly as I am in Japan. So when members just post, "Wow, look at these beauties" and a link, I usually get images of Anime girly figurines. 

If you didn't find the info you needed, here it is. Colour, Road number and product code.  2 colours were released in 2017, 2018 and 2019 but luckily Hobbysearch have most of the colours still in stock. I assume these are modelled at 1:160 scale as they run on standard gauge track. They are pretty small and narrow compared to other n scale Japanese stock.

Since that post, I now have all but the purple one which I will probably grab at some point. The motor units were more difficult to find hence my purchase of 3 when I found them. Looks like HS also currently have some though which is good.

Blue 2003 (281580) 

Orange 2006 (281597) 

Red 2007 (289142)

Green 2004 (289098)

Purple 2001 (300960)

Twin colour 2003 (300977)

This was painted in the original livery when the line opened,  as well as the initial 2000 series livery. The latter is similar to that of the Nishitetsu Kaizuka Line 600 series electric trains. To my knowledge, this is the only running version still in operation although I have only seen it on special open days. It was repainted from blue. There is also still unit 2002, also in blue on static display at the works in Kurosaki. 

ISM Works do produce a light unit kit for these too, but I have not yet got round to ordering or converting mine. They are a bit pricey but there is very limited space in these things to do much tinkering. Thanks to @JR 500系 for highlighting this company to me.

https://ism-works.shop-pro.jp/?pid=136761352

Despite the lack of directional lighting, these are still one of my favourite things to run. I also usually get some nods of approval from other train guys at running days. Here is a photo of one chaps model of Chikuho Nogata station on display at an open day a few years ago.

E9743773-F14A-4953-97BB-FDB81B2F6877.png

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When you know what you are looking, HS is a very good data base. They don't have everything, but it's still very extensive. Their filters can help narrow down the search. I wish we could use another, non-commercial "data base". Doug Coster had one but it's long gone.

I assume @Kamome's issue is related to its location. I never had any issue with links to the English HS.

4 hours ago, Kamome said:

For some reason any Hobbysearch page links for me just take me to the front end of the website rather than the page in question. Possibly as I am in Japan. So when members just post, "Wow, look at these beauties" and a link, I usually get images of Anime girly figurines.

Remove the "/eng" from the URL and it takes you to the Japanese version of the page.

• Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

Not really Japanese, and not just N-scale either, but ..

I received some of the Woodland Scenics foam track bed. I already had a roll of the H0-scale one, which I was planning on using the for H0j track. Now I also have an N-scale roll, and some sheets in both H0 and N. The N I'll initially use as a test on my really simple speed measurement oval, and eventually probably for the H0e tracks of the H0j/H0e project. Also received the foam glue to glue the stuff in place. At first glance, it looks like decent stuff, and cuts really easily as well.

Also, thanks to @roadstar_na6 I managed to find some flux specifically for steel and stainless steel. I've not been able to find it in the Netherlands at all, but eventually found some in a German store. Shipping was about 3 times the price of the flux itself, but it should last forever. The reason I needed it, is that World Kougei kits come with stainless steel parts which are near impossible to solder with regular flux. With this new stuff, the steel solders as easy as the brass. Of course, it's quite nasty stuff, so it requires some good cleaning, but it sure beats using CA glue or epoxy.

The first experiment with it, will be the N-scale C55-27 kit which I've had for a while. My skills have improved somewhat since I first started that kit, so I'll need to redo a few bits, but that's all part of the fun 😄

• Like 3

My latest package is slowly starting to accumulate in Osaka: latest purchase, a Kato 10-1500 SL Yamaguchi car set. I'm now sorely tempted to buy the Kato model of C57 1 and recreate the full consist, but I may defer that until after next payday. Oh, and Marklin just dropped their new items too so I will have to plan very carefully what I go after this year...😉

But something else has also caught my eye: a seller on YAJ is offering a ED75-0 bodyshell from the latest 7140 model. Since no one has the equivalent Kato 3075 version available complete, can anyone tell me whether this shell would be compatible with a 3075 chassis? And would there be any notable differences or is it 'close enough'? Only just stumbled on it tonight and it closes very early Sunday morning, so any help would be appreciated.

A few items that don’t belong on this thread but my January order from Ami just arrived.

1AFDEA94-8B11-4B1F-B6D3-43591D02F323.jpeg.88bed6a8090d6b34de9330c3808d0202.jpeg

Kato 415 in Kyushu colour. Looks like a nice model. The roof is far too new looking  for the prototype but nice they have modelled the updated air con. Also a huge selection of destination stickers and the roof equipment around the pantograph is also very nicely detailed. I’m very impressed with level of detail all round on this model. 

65996BCC-CD68-4393-B9B6-A6DD277D7D62.jpeg.490222f288e6107688051d0a968ca073.jpeg

Next up are 2 sets of Tomytec Eneos tanker trucks. I needed to fill in the logistical gap between my Eneos Takis and the gas station. I’d like to build a fuel depot when i finally get time to build a layout. These things always seem to disappear quickly so I buy it as you see it kind of deal. 

B2E2A5F0-F929-4757-AFC3-CC5E9DB76610.jpeg.06e2ae0769400cbccae97063fcae8886.jpeg

Not N but also received 3 more Ohane 25 100s in HO. Just need the final one for a full Fuji formation. Ami have a 3 household limit on these although this order is 4,5,6 in my case. 

2AED1120-853F-4B1E-8BCE-4B39DD9793C4.thumb.jpeg.0f0020dc0c5cb69a440dd305ae787892.jpegFinally added 2 HO Brake disc axle load kits from Bona Fide. These were on clearance from Ami and I figured I might invest in a Tenshodo T-Evolution Kumoru 145 set in the near future and didn’t want to miss out on some loads. Failing that, i might use them in my Toras. Each set comes with 2 axles.

235CB1A5-D8E4-4908-88DD-EB508578C17F.jpeg.fe04591fea33b2e335fac01473d2616b.jpeg

• Like 7

I was interested to see the new 415-100s don't have as much roof cabling on the KuHas as the old ones (10-437 and -438), are they a different batch? 

1 hour ago, Welshbloke said:

I was interested to see the new 415-100s don't have as much roof cabling on the KuHas as the old ones (10-437 and -438), are they a different batch? 

Yes different set

The kuhas have no cabling on the roof nor do they have any other vents like the 10-437 set. The newly released set is the current JR Kyushu version which are still in  use on local services between Mojiko and Orio as well as Yukuhashi to Shimonoseki through the tunnel via Kokura. I think they are also used around Oita although I never see them paired up as Kato suggests. Often these sets are paired with 415-1500s instead of another 100, but I am sure they twinned up sometimes. Conveniently, I rode one yesterday.

test.thumb.jpeg.4e939704afca191cdb32ff56bc282d96.jpeg

Edited by JR 500系
Edited photo
  • Like 2

Between work and the insanity that was 2020 haven't much time to get caught up but still lurking. Here was October:

october.thumb.jpg.44312226037713de8f85fbc4eca0ffb9.jpg

I'm a sucker for the JR Hokkaido KiHas. I only bought one of the Yamato transport KoKis, I'm hoping Tomix makes different numbered containers available. The forestry trucks are great, my only gripe was the green one in the set on the left came with a front axle wheelset under the bed on the back, wasn't enough for me to want to ship it back given how much of a pian it would be now. Example of said goofy axle:

truck.thumb.jpg.738acaf67b32bf14bd0439c1e842c9a2.jpg

November was a pretty slow month, only got 2 more KoKi 200s and a set of ONE containers for them:

onecontainers.thumb.jpg.8c880673e533406b7d30d04d0241b091.jpg

December was a pretty big month, finally caved and got the Kato top lifters and forklifts and despite it being out of my era got the Tohoku freight car set (which is great by the way) and (another) ED75. The apartment building set is something eventually I'll get to and the DD51 bogies without traction tires make a big difference, I should have bought another pair so I can more easily double head freight DD51s:

december20.thumb.jpg.99fca2b64ff5cddd96cf7e64f186a765.jpg

Only problems here were that on the forklifts one has a defect where one fork is shorter than the other so it can't really hold a container without it being at an angle (an easy enough fix, I just have get around to cutting off the short one and replacing it) and on the ED75 when I was pulling up the one pantograph the top half came apart and somehow with unknown force and fury exited the universe as we know it. Two hours of searching and nothing. So I did order a replacement and a few other things:

janearly.thumb.jpg.fe958d4d3df2d8164da7fc062f7b2b68.jpg

I can swear I've the Yabashi Industries HoKis all over the place on JR East and they're at least something different to run. Another set of Greenmax obstruction warning signals and an Ube Industries doubles trailer for the heck of it. The new pantographs are much less finicky than the installed ones were on the ED75, I fully expected to find the missing part the day I got this in the mail but it still seems to be on a journey across time and space.

Finally the Platz Girls und Panzer containers, the printing on these is exceptional:

jangup.thumb.jpg.11339994f75cc3753a47eea8a3559d6f.jpg

• Like 10

Those pink one container are bright. Eyes will be drawn to them wherever on the layout. Conversation starter etc.

The tomytec set with incorrect wheels. I would just send a pic and hope for a refund. As you say, not worth returning.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I’ve been interested in the 415-100 for a while now. I’d be very interested to hear how the new model runs—or maybe it’s just a regular Kato quality train?

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

I’ve been interested in the 415-100 for a while now. I’d be very interested to hear how the new model runs—or maybe it’s just a regular Kato quality train?

Really nice smooth runner although a little growly at the moment but I'm sure it will settle down after a good run.

The headlights, taillights and front destination boards are illuminated, there' s a huge selection of destination stickers for all of it's current services. 

The priority seat stickers need to be applied to the windows but all decals are crisply printed. There's even some included service numbers that need to be applied inside the cab for that extra level of detail.

The roof equipment around the pantograph on the Moha is produced in 3 different colours of plastic, grey, silver and turquoise for the insulators. The AC units are a different colour to the roof to indicate the replacements. This adds more depth to what Kato could have produced all in the same colour to save money. The roof and equipment will need some weathering as these things are showing their age in real life.

All pad-printed elements are crisp and clear. The blue line and red JR logo all look very well replicated.

The model is compatible with Kato's range of easy install DCC decoders (EM13 etc..)

My only negative is very minor. There is an included moulded piece that fits between the coupler assembly and snowplough section. It has additional jumper sockets to make the model look more realistic when the connecting coupler is not being used. I have not had any success housing it correctly as yet and so its still in the pack of accessories.

I am pretty impressed with this model and am even considering getting the add-on set and the optional motor unit from the hobby centre as a second unit with different numbers would be quite nice. The bookcase has room for another 4 car set in it. I have quite an affinity with these units as I see them every morning, but as you stated, it is of the quality we have come to expect from Kato. 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, nah00 said:

Finally the Platz Girls und Panzer containers, the printing on these is exceptional:

jangup.thumb.jpg.11339994f75cc3753a47eea8a3559d6f.jpg

Wow! you went for the girls und panzer containers. Have been sorely tempted to get them but couldn't bring myself to because of the price. 

Edited by disturbman
unnecessary full quote
2 hours ago, sg_otaku said:

Wow! you went for the girls und panzer containers. Have been sorely tempted to get them but couldn't bring myself to because of the price. 

We've got those in transit from Hobby Search now.  Price was indeed high, but we're modelling Oarai and with an added rail link freight terminal at the ferry port; so there was no avoiding these!

I've ordered the Kato 415-100 4-car set, which is a nice size for my layout.

I've also ordered a few of the larger trees from memory's, 70mm and 90mm models, which I think will look good somewhere on the layout, although I'm not sure where yet

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sg_otaku said:

1 hour ago, Cat said:

We've got those in transit from Hobby Search now.  Price was indeed high, but we're modelling Oarai and with an added rail link freight terminal at the ferry port; so there was no avoiding these!

Not gonna lie, the price was a bit off-putting (especially since the character is only one side, the other side is just the Girls und Panzer: Das Finale logo) but I figured if I didn't get them now I'd end up paying a lot more for them later. Platz is generally not inexpensive either plus there licensing fees. Though compared to ISO tank containers these were a bargain.

9 hours ago, katoftw said:

Those pink one container are bright. Eyes will be drawn to them wherever on the layout. Conversation starter etc.

The tomytec set with incorrect wheels. I would just send a pic and hope for a refund. As you say, not worth returning.

They definitely stand out, that's for sure. I remember the first time I saw them over here on a Norfolk Southern train thinking 'who paints a container bright pink?' but it's genius marketing, especially when everything else is some dull shade of white, grey or blue. I didn't even bother mentioning the incorrect wheels. I just took the two front axles and put them at the rear so they match and put the one rear axle up front. You can only tell the difference from less than a foot. I may use some styrene rod to make them 'correct' at some point but that's waaaaay down my priority list.

Edited by nah00
  • Like 1

Are you sure the truck axle is wrong?

Reason I ask is that I see quite a few long vehicles with a self-steering tag axle at the back (and a rigid one in front of that). The tag usually has single wheels while the rigid one has duals, presumably to give enough clearance between wheel and chassis for it to steer. They're also used on lifting axles, raised when unloaded to reduce tyre wear and fuel consumption.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

Are you sure the truck axle is wrong?

Reason I ask is that I see quite a few long vehicles with a self-steering tag axle at the back (and a rigid one in front of that). The tag usually has single wheels while the rigid one has duals, presumably to give enough clearance between wheel and chassis for it to steer. They're also used on lifting axles, raised when unloaded to reduce tyre wear and fuel consumption.

Great point