What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Been a while since I posted here (since I am on "moratorium" for new stuff for a while).  But today I was at a LHS killing time while I waited to pick up my daughter from school.  I knew they had a few Japanese things as I was here a week or so ago with my son.  They do MRR, RC (planes and cars), models (traditional military [1/35 1/32 1/48 1/72 etc] as well as airlines, cars, etc) , GUNPLA and other Japanese models, some building equipment and doll house, etc.  Your traditional old school hobby shop.  They started out as a model railroad shop I think years ago (and used to be down the road in a bigger location with layout, etc and a separate slot car facility).  In fact their name is M.R.S. Hobby's (for Model Railroad Shop I believe) and their logo is or was a steam engine side profile.  Anyway, they have a lot of N stuff -- mostly KATO though their US rolling stock is a lot of other brands as well - their locomotives are mostly KATO.  Lots of different KATO starter sets, an SX power pack, lots of Unitrack etc.  Of course mostly US prototypes.  (They have a lot of H0 stuff as well -- less KATO but I did not rfeally look).

Anyway I saw 2 KATO DD51 locomotives (about $83 each) -- 7008-3 IIRC.  They also had a KATO 8 car N700A Nozomi book case set, a Tomix Hello Kitty Shinkansen 500, and a Tomix Hello Kity Haruka express set.    It is possible there was something else there I did not see.  Most Japanese stuff I've seen in a US shop myself.  They also had a few Hello Kitty Tomytec busses.  I bought one of those for my daughter's birthday coming up (she has the Tomix HK Shinkansen), and some KATO re-railer track pieces.

IMG_4189.jpeg

• Like 8

Latest parcel arrived today - a set of Kato ToRa 55000 gondolas, and a set of 3075 components - chassis, bogies and a spare lighting board which I didn't know I wouldn't need. Turns out the chassis is slightly too short to fit under my 3009-5 body so to plan B then - a new body, detail parts (as necessary) and voila, a new scale-size ED75! And as for the poor, tired 3009-5 it looks as though a ED70 plough and coupler assembly might be a better fit.

And currently being packed at Zenmarket in Suita is the next big one: the Tomix 98713 (new) and 98712 (disassembled and purchased as individual items) sets, one set each of Kato ToRa 45000 gondolas and TaMu 500 tankers, the Kato 5001-1 and 5002-1 coaches (lucked out on the 5003-1), and a new 7008-2 body for one of my 7002-3 locos. Oh, and the Kato and Tomix '21 catalogs. Yep, December was an expensive month!

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts
On 1/3/2021 at 9:11 PM, Martijn Meerts said:

I have several rather boring but necessary things on order...

• Right before Christmas I order a uCon S88 master and uCon Railspeed. The S88 master will offload the occupancy detection from my ECoS, and instead feed them to the computer through the network. The Railspeed is for quick and accurate measuring of a locomotive's speed for each decoder step, so the software knows the exact speed of each loco. Haven't heard back from the place I ordered them since, but I expect they're on Christmas holidays, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon 🙂
  • 2 new soldering tips for my soldering station. My 2 most used ones broke shortly after each other, but then again, they were at least 15 years old. Of course, the timing sucks since they broke down just when I was making a lot of progress with soldering the brass kits. Ordering these isn't quite as easy, since my soldering station is a professional rework station which not many stores sell
  • A bottle of purple loctite thread lock, since my old Tamiya thread lock had expired. I need this for the screws that keep the gears of brass locomotives in place. Without it, they'll eventually unscrew themselves I've found out
  • A Lokpilot 5 fx DCC function decoder with Power Pack for the WaFu22000
  • A Lokpilot 5 micro DCC loco decoder, not sure yet for which train, possibly the Tomix JNR type 72/73 Gotemba line, or 1 of the Kato 8620s, or the Kiso Forest Baldwin
  • Various turnouts which I ordered several months ago, but which are still on backorder
  • Some prewired 0402 warm white LEDs, hopefully for use with the WaFu22000

Essentially, my model train related projects are pretty much on hold now until some of this stuff arrives 🙂

All of this stuff has now arrived. The S88 master and Railspeed actually have aluminium casings rather than plastic ones, which was a nice surprise. I quickly gave them a test by hooking them up to a network switch and they work. Did some measurement test with the Railspeed in iTrain as well, and that also looks to be working like it should. I just have to make a quick setup now with some track and the Railspeed installed, so I can do actual measurements. Just a simple board with some straight track on it really, with maybe some foam padded bumpers on each end just in case.

• Like 1

Bargain, as usual Amazon’s prices jump 50% as soon as you’ve ordered 1.  Still even at £42 it’s a good buy if you’re in the U.K. as there’s no postage and fees to pay.

72D89B76-FC1C-4C36-9174-D44856A60F79.jpeg

Edited by Kanpai Keith
  • Like 3

An old style Kato island platform with removable roof section to place a signal control box, and the signal tower. The roof style is slightly different to the newer version. I may need to paint it to fit in color wise but the corrugations are slightly different too. Oh well. I still like it.

yXzScZC.jpg?1

• Like 5
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

An old style Kato island platform with removable roof section to place a signal control box, and the signal tower. The roof style is slightly different to the newer version. I may need to paint it to fit in color wise but the corrugations are slightly different too. Oh well. I still like it.

Look at pretty much any station which hasn't been built from new or completely rebuilt in the last couple of decades and you'll more likely than not find an eclectic variety of roof and platform construction methods along the length of the platform anyway.

I think JR were mixing Kato with older Tomix platform sets here at Yurakucho:

34873732646_4c625b1a15_z.jpg
yurakucho-station-roof-variations by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

More classic brown EMU goodness:

50837409878_8e553a229c_z.jpg

Tomix 72/73 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is the original Tomix version, not the recent re-release. No surprise interior lighting this time, but despite being advertised (as per the case) as the add-on set, it contains a motorized car (albeit one in dire need of lubrication). Can't win 'em all I guess 😄

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

well.... it's the first time I add something to this thread, just because I buy the same items that everybody find on sale everyday, but this was hard to find (obviously, for me in Italy)
my collection of "Shinkansen old scrap" is 99% done 😋

925-S1.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, jappomania said:

well.... it's the first time I add something to this thread, just because I buy the same items that everybody find on sale everyday, but this was hard to find (obviously, for me in Italy)
my collection of "Shinkansen old scrap" is 99% done 😋

What is it?

I got my LEX Green Mover. It's a beauty. I also received my ninja cats. They're not my scale but I just couldn't resist them. My son thinks they could be Zoo animals. 

Vj1NxmU.jpg?1

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 8
57 minutes ago, railsquid said:

925 series Dr Yellow kit, according to the label.

@Gavin

yes!

like Railsquid told, it's a photoetched kit for Kato 200 (or Tomix, but is not the better base for kitbashing) to modified it like a 925 S1

kit contains only the side panels and some small parts for rooftop (lights, panto observer cupola's etc..., ) but is not enough, depend of how much you want to be accurate your reproduction, there are some modification to do on the original parts.

from the same "factory" (I'm not sure, it was a small run of kit produced from a shop for JNMA) also a similar kit for 922 T2 has been released, I bought a couple of them 10-12 years ago when it was sold cheap just after the second release of the Microace model

another couple of similar kit I bought was for modify 0-1000/2000 Kato (or Tomix) whit large windows (stored somewhere... I has to search..)

and last.. the couple of resin kit to obtain the 922 T2 (again!) and the WIN350 with "banana attitude"  

obviously I speak of jurassic era (pre-MicroAce revolution), these are all collector items like the old Endo and Gakken Shinkansen, and for what I know these 6 are the only noticeable kit's for kitbashing (published on model magazines and with decent number of production/distribution, probably something else of garage kit exist but a really small production...like Nagae Art models)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

yep!

I found the box with the photoetched kit (all in stand-by till the second eye surgery...)

for those that like to know also the historic items.... 😜

the 2 resin kit's aren't so hard to find  on sale on yahoo (a couple of 922 in the past months and one is still on sale now, the WIN350 has been sold a couple of weeks ago

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r430662599

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q415475748

......(wow! the price of 1kg of banana's has increased a lot!)

IMG_20210116_214412_1CS.jpg

IMG_20210116_214457_2CS.jpg

p.s.If someone know something more, please let me know so I can complete the history book

Edited by jappomania
yahoo links..
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, jappomania said:

yep!

I found the box with the photoetched kit (all in stand-by till the second eye surgery...)

for those that like to know also the historic items.... 😜

the 2 resin kit's aren't so hard to find  on sale on yahoo (a couple of 922 in the past months and one is still on sale now, the WIN350 has been sold a couple of weeks ago

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r430662599

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q415475748

......(wow! the price of 1kg of banana's has increased a lot!)

p.s.If someone know something more, please let me know so I can complete the history book

These look really interesting. I hope you'll make a thread about the process of assembling and painting them. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gavino200 said:

These look really interesting. I hope you'll make a thread about the process of assembling and painting them. 

922-T2 I think remain in his box, I already have 6 MA and It's enough, for WIN350 - RM Models 55 / 2000-3 is the fastest solution, mine require to be "unbananized" before, that's the reason because I don't like too much housemade resin body
obviously depend wich resin type you apply, I also use resin for small pieces, but is really expensive (dental resin) and a 6 cars body kit like these would cost me around 200-300€, I have to pay 25€ for each TGV La Poste middle car (just the unpainted body)
before to open another dockyard I need to end some works, 300-J0/316-9001 car 10 I'm still hunting photos (nobody can help me? J0, not J1 or mass prod.), no more  space on workbench....and I'm slow 😪 .... (but stay tuned!)

Ciao!

Massimo

p.s. a small run of WIN350 kit has been sold "ready to run" from Models Imon (assembled and painted, Tomix 300 based, of course!), rare and still really expensive, but same "banana" defect now (I found it no more than 5-6 time in 10-15 years)

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I need a little help.  I'm keen on getting the Tomix Tobu Railway Series 500 Revaty. and I need to know what's the difference between the 6 car limited edition set vs the  basic 3 car + 3 car addon set. There seems to be a price difference of around 2000+ yen and if its only box art that's different, I'd rather get the 3+3. Thanks for helping!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10751191

vs

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10751187

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10751189

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, sg_otaku said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I need a little help.  I'm keen on getting the Tomix Tobu Railway Series 500 Revaty. and I need to know what's the difference between the 6 car limited edition set vs the  basic 3 car + 3 car addon set. There seems to be a price difference of around 2000+ yen and if its only box art that's different, I'd rather get the 3+3. Thanks for helping!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10751191

vs

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10751187

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10751189

You get the extra parts for the open doors for the gangway in the ltd set.

Welcome SG!   @katoftw According to hobby search both versions come with the parts to reproduce the gangways between cab cars (in the 3+3 version its in the add on set), so I'm not sure what the difference is other than a bigger box.  One of our Japanese speaking members may be able to tell the difference between the sets better.  Sometimes the limited addition sets come with TN couplers or other add on parts already installed, but it seems only the cab cars on both sets will come with TN couplers.

In the images (diagram, not pictures) the cars of the limited edition are different (serial number) and seem longer. problem is, I dont know if the diagrams are to scale. But thanks for addressing my concern, appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Welcome SG!   @katoftw According to hobby search both versions come with the parts to reproduce the gangways between cab cars (in the 3+3 version its in the add on set), so I'm not sure what the difference is other than a bigger box.  One of our Japanese speaking members may be able to tell the difference between the sets better.  Sometimes the limited addition sets come with TN couplers or other add on parts already installed, but it seems only the cab cars on both sets will come with TN couplers.

A re read of the poor google translation I think has you being correct. It makes it sound like the open doors are for special set only.

Regular set cab ends have TN couplers. All other couplers are rapido.

Special set is all TN couplers 6 cars.

Only difference I see now is the TN couplers.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

--The car numbers of the basic set and specially planned products have been printed (the basic set has 503 formations, and the specially planned products have 505 and 506 formations printed). 

It seems the special set has printed car numbers on all cars, while only the basic 3-car set has them printed... 

Mr Postman has been busy! My latest Zenmarket haul just landed today. Apologies for the incorrect orientation!

As an added bonus, one of the sellers threw in a calendar-style business card and two calendar postcards, one for January 2021 and the other a twelve-month 2021 version. Sweet!

And just for the heck of it, my C12 paired up with my three OHa 31 series coaches - the 5001-9 I already had, and the 5001-1 and 5002-1 cars which arrived this shipment. I am still determined to find the matching 5003-1 if anyone wants to part with one (or knows where I can find one?)

And for an encore - the next delivery will feature another C12 (yeah, sucker for cute!) and a Kato D51 200. Landed the latter mint in box for ¥7,300: now to get the coaches and I can recreate my 2019 trip on SL Yamaguchi!

B9721ED1-9DFC-4939-B733-D3FCEEED93A8.jpeg

D136C61A-AC5D-4D90-BF2A-E2ECF0C9118D.jpeg

• Like 8