What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

4 hours ago, 200系 said:

Because it's starting to look a bit more civilized with, supposedly, knuckle couplers instead of the original screw-couplers + buffer setup, I would guess?

Bingo, I was poking around the JR museum in Omiya a while back and found a small display showing how over the course of July 1925 all screw-link/buffer arrangements were replaced with knuckle couplers (except IIRC on Hokkaido, where the North American system was in use from the start).

4 hours ago, 200系 said:

Nice catch, ever since reading Dan Frees excellent "Early Japanese Railways" I've nursed a small interest in early Japanese steam, though I guess I'm slightly more biased towards the American built locomotives as opposed to the British built examples (though I think they are fascinating in their own way). Seems like she'll need some work though, doesn't she?

Will need a bit of cleaning and maybe some weathering to disguise a few glue marks, but otherwise in surprisingly good condition and runs very well for such a small loco.

• Like 2

It looks like have a good one. They were very hit and miss when produced. Mine is retired to its box as both crank pins sheared owing to stiff running gear.

Claude_Dreyfus

I had one many moons ago. A lovely little engine, but at the time didn't really fit in with anything else I had. I sold it a while back and have regretted it ever since. 

On 11/20/2020 at 2:09 AM, Tonytramman said:

Won this little chap on fleabay recently no idea of its history, got to run the literature through translation but I liked it and for £5 cant be bad

It's a Tokyo "Toden" 6000 series tramcar. They were built after the end of the Pacific war as replacements for cars destroyed in the bombing of Tokyo. Cars of very similar design also ran on other systems. There was one still running as an excursion/heritage car a few years ago on the Arakawa line, and a number of others are preserved as static exhibits in Tokyo. Modemo made them in HO, I have one stashed away somewhere. Nice find at a good price! 👍

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/東京都交通局6000形電車_(軌道)

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/26/2020 at 1:56 AM, railsquid said:

Built in 1906 by Dübs and Company in Glasgow. Presumably the model represents the post-1925 state (anyone want to guess why I think that?).

Nice! It's in post-1925 condition because it has knuckle couplers and Westinghouse airbrake fitted. I have a Sango brass 2120, one of the first Japanese models I owned, awaiting its turn on the workbench for the same modifications.

All the best,

Mark.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, 200系 said:

...ever since reading Dan Frees excellent "Early Japanese Railways" I've nursed a small interest in early Japanese steam, though I guess I'm slightly more biased towards the American built locomotives as opposed to the British built examples...

Mr Frees book is a great resource and very inspirational. The interesting thing with the B6/2120 class engines and derivatives is that they were built by a variety of companies, as well as the JGR's Kobe works. Apart from Dubs, Sharp Stewart and North British, the improved 2400 class locos were built by Berliner/Schwartzkopf, Hanomag and Henschel, and the 2500 class by Baldwin. They're among my favourite Japanese steam locos.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I had one many moons ago. A lovely little engine, but at the time didn't really fit in with anything else I had. I sold it a while back and have regretted it ever since. 

Apart from the JGR/JNR examples, there were a number of B6s on private and industrial railways. If you ever get another one, you could justify it that way. The Oigawa Railway had 2109 for a while, which they overhauled and then sold on to the Nippon Institute of Technology in Saitama, where it now lives in a beautiful little engine shed on the grounds with a length of track for demonstration runs.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, marknewton said:

Apart from the JGR/JNR examples, there were a number of B6s on private and industrial railways. If you ever get another one, you could justify it that way. The Oigawa Railway had 2109 for a while, which they overhauled and then sold on to the Nippon Institute of Technology in Saitama, where it now lives in a beautiful little engine shed on the grounds with a length of track for demonstration runs.

Oooh, interesting, appears they have an entire museum open to the public: https://www.nit.ac.jp/center/scholarship/museum.html

Also - PDF file about the loco: https://www.nit.ac.jp/topics/130724_sl.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile, back in the present day, this fell into my basket during my recent Akihabara electronics shopping trip:

50653073912_13407a8e9f_z.jpg

Kat E233 Series (Chuo Line "H set") by Rail Squid, on Flickr

complete with plated-over toilet window:

50652241573_eef3fb80f7_z.jpg

Kat E233 Series (Chuo Line "H set") by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Though to be absolutely up-to-date it should be modelled with the windows in random states of openness, so for operations from ca. March 2020 we'll just assume it's started to rain and the guard has asked the passengers to close the windows (yes it does happen like that).

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
21 hours ago, railsquid said:

Oooh, interesting, appears they have an entire museum open to the public: https://www.nit.ac.jp/center/scholarship/museum.html

Also - PDF file about the loco: https://www.nit.ac.jp/topics/130724_sl.pdf

That's correct. They have an impressive display of machine tools amongst other industrial goodies. My father was a production engineer with a passion for these things. I just about needed a bottle of chloroform to get him out of there! 😂

The PDF on 2109 is marvellous, thanks for posting that. The second photo showing the engineman oiling the eccentric straps and sheaves is one I can really relate to.

There's another link worth a look here:

http://sirjibook.com/Content.aspx?Id=465

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

Something nice appeared yesterday on my doorstep. The holy trinity is now complete.

20201128_161228.thumb.jpg.162cbdb46f3d5daf61aaf604b4bd1503.jpg

Thanks to @chadbags contribution, the E001 arrived ^^

20201129_151031.thumb.jpg.aac4aec1e5638df93d90874802bc016b.jpg

It looks great, doesn't it?

20201129_184225.thumb.jpg.8e40f2976e8b523960c8fb711b33c2be.jpg

• Like 18
On 11/29/2020 at 7:14 AM, Kanpai Keith said:

@marknewton when you say machine tools, do you mean the injection moulds?

Keith, the museum contains machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, grinders, shapers, looms and so on. This blog post gives a good overview of the collection:

https://igsforum.com/page/2/

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Today, some pre-orders arrived, some I forgot I even ordered, me and my trusted dealer where both confused by that.

Lot's of catenary poles, cable, some containers and a container car I saw in another store, and two 701 series I forgot about.

20201202_003826.thumb.jpg.945bd6aeed336ded89dee3f3bd78278a.jpg

Also another E233 for my commuter lines arrived. This time a 7000 sub series in green.

20201202_004005.thumb.jpg.128cbe0c362061521ae4e5caffeadc95.jpg

These are so cute:

20201201_213212.thumb.jpg.6f5c776449ee5830400bf1105e07425c.jpg

• Like 9

This arrived this morning. Haven't had a chance to play yet. 😀

thumbnail_20201203_164119.jpg

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 4
Martijn Meerts

I received 3 servos, a SwitchPilot Servo, and a SwitchPilot Extension. Not a very spectacular order, but now I can work on setting up the 3 turnouts on 1 end of local station.

• Like 3

Well, I've been in trouble with the law again, the hearing went like this:

Justice Rivetcounter: You again. What are you up for this time?
Railsquid: A MicroAce Inokashira Line 1000 series in salmon pink, m'lud.

50675259843_1b06ccf79e_z.jpg

MicroAce Keio 1000 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

JR: Well, what do you have to say for yourself?
RS: It was dirt cheap.
JR: That's what they always say. And how is this supposed to fit into the theme of your Chuo Line-focussed layout?
RS: Well, m'lud, the Inokashira Line does end at Kichijoji, moreover I am entitled to invoke Personal Memory Rule One as I once lived close to Shimokitazawa Station and have travelled on these many times.
JR: I see. And it's a MicroAce, so no doubt dirt cheap because it was a bad runner?
RS: Indeed, m'lud. But it was a doddle to fix.
JR: Hmm. No doubt it had one of those black membranes fused to the chassis which had to be scraped off in flakes?
RS: Yup, m'lud.
JR: (winces) Very well. But I see it has two cross-arm pantographs and one single-arm one, is that not a sign of a previous owner's bodged amateur repair job?
RS: M'lud, this arrangement appears to have been an experimental fitting of a single-arm pantograph before they were subsequently adopted for the entire class.
JR: Typical MicroAce niche prototype choice, I suppose. Very well, but what do you intend to do about those massive gaps between cars? I see the motor unit has the typical even-larger-gap.
RS: I intend spending a significant portion of the purchase price on Tomix couplings, m'lud.
JR: Mad as a hatter. The accused is released, though be warned if I see you here with Keikyu or Keisei stuff, I will take a very dim view.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
  • Haha 14

A recent 'buy it now' purchase from an auction site with free shipping!

Kato 7011-4 Kyushu DE10 

Kato 8064 (YO 6000) with lights - 6522 is the number on the YO

Both appear to be new. The DE10 runs really smooth. 😊

1399254625_DE10caboose.thumb.jpg.911e283dd15547cb06a31595f11013bf.jpg

• Like 8

my Tomix turntable finally arrived from the seller in Canada. 2 and a half months by sea. I already have the exact same model turntable, but it is not rotating properly, so hopefully the new turntable will allow me to see how to fix that. 

20201206_225841.jpg

20201206_225927.jpg

• Like 10

My Kato E4 Shinkansen arrived yesterday after a DCC job. No sound this time. Layout is a massive construction site at this time. Also, suspend reality for a minute because that section of the layout is supposed to be the Dawlish Seawall from the UK. Blind guy doing the video and so not sure if I have the head/tail lights working right.

• Like 7

placed an order for a ef64 an ef65 locomotive set, for the price with shipping I couldn't pass it up! Now lets hope it gets here??   I had been trying to find a ed70 or ed71 but they seem to be out of stock, an way over priced! So I went with the 2 locomotive set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Here is an EF65 pulling a Series 20 car train. Not too impressed with the rapido couplers. If the loco is coupled on the passenger end, it leaves the train behind at the curve on super elevated track. If I couple the EF65 on the auto rack end, it runs OK. I don't have enough of enough of a layout at this point to really stretch these trains. I need to create a temporary loop on the side.

• Like 5