What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Pretty hard to do with the Mickey Mouse shinkansens if you have them out, they are not the most un-noticable of trains... just stirs you to get more painted trains so new ones will just blend in and can hide better in plain site... dazzle camouflage!

jeff

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, GCS said:

These beauties arrived today and I am VERY happy!! 🤩

Just got to find somewhere to hide them from my other half... 🤫

I've found the best way is to just stick them on the shelf with all the other trains.  Then when asked when you got these, you can truthfuly say you've had them for "a while".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
25 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I've found the best way is to just stick them on the shelf with all the other trains.  Then when asked when you got these, you can truthfuly say you've had them for "a while".

I just couldn’t resist them!

and it’s my first dip into Tomix, I’m very impressed by the quality, think I’ve got to buy more Tomix trains now lol!

Guy

9 hours ago, Yavianice said:

@deathletter wow that's a cool haul. I've been looking for the Kawaii TAKI 50000 for quite a while. Can I ask where you managed to obtain those?

I got them from Yahoo Japan. I have close to 20 of them if I am not mistaken. 

8 hours ago, Kamome said:

Apparently a 9600 used as a shunting loco in the Aomori region. Orange body and a safety mark on the tender.

@deathletterI’m very envious of those fish vans.

I actually have more of them from another auction that have not been shipped yet....

Carrying on from yesterday, my first package arrived with a nice little selection of second-hand goodies...

- Tomix 2703 Re 2900 (made in Hong Kong)

- Tomix 2706 KoMu 1 (made in China/Japan)

- Kato 8004 WaKi 10000 (green)

- Kato 8005 SuNi 40

- Kato 8006 Re 12000

- Kato 8010 WaKi 5000

And the piece de resistance, the Kato 10-382 500 series Shinkansen 'Nozomi'! I've always loved the 500 series, they were the newest and most modern sets when I was a little boy (and they looked so much cooler than the shovel-nosed 300 series trains which came out the year I was born...) To my surprise though, and I'll be contacting the seller about this tonight, was that the nose cone from the rear driving car is missing. Not that you could see that, it was hidden under a bit of paper in the box which states (and I'm drawing some massive assumptions here) that the train is based off the real thing as it looked in 1998. Apart from that though, it's a complete set and I'm happy with it.

Not sure how old the two Tomix wagons are, they're in cardboard boxes as opposed to the clear cases you get these days. But detail-wise, they're not too bad and they'll look good with my other stuff.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ED75-775 said:

Not sure how old the two Tomix wagons are, they're in cardboard boxes as opposed to the clear cases you get these days. But detail-wise, they're not too bad and they'll look good with my other stuff.

The Hong Kong-made Tomix stuff was produced by Kader (parent company of Bachmann) and will probably been have manufactured between ca. 1975 and the early 1980s (at which point Tomy moved Tomix production to Japan).

Edited by railsquid
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

Oh wow those are great! Bet you're gonna get that PIXAR one too ?  😛

Oh of course! Absolutely in love with these special 800 shinkansens! 😍

Guy

• Like 1

The blue thing on one of the fish vans was indeed a compartment for the guard/conductor. They were common on JNR era stock, KoKiFus were the same idea as applied to a container flat. Presumably it was decided that the slight loss of cargo space was outweighed by not having to maintain a separate guard's van. 

I have read that later on they tended to be marshalled with the guard's compartment facing inwards, so the occupant had the rest of the wagon between them and a rear-end collision.

I did come across a photo somewhere of a KoKiFu 50000 in early JRF days, with the compartment doors and windows boarded over and used as a conventional KoKi. Presumably this lasted until they were either converted to remove the compartment or scrapped, although I've no idea which occurred.

Seems a bit expensive considering that it costs 9775 yen at Hobbysearch... though your offer seems to have postage included so I guess it's on par. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I imagine I'll still get slapped with the customs charges (which is fine and fair) but ~£100 is how much I'd expect to pay for a Kato bookset in the UK. So it might work out a little more expensive, but I'm sure I deserve it lol. I have an EF510 so it'll become a nice set at the very least 🙂 

Ha, Fine Track 🙂

The stuff I additionally need for my plan is still with RG-R as they‘re waiting for something from HobbySearch to arrive

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Ha, Fine Track 🙂

The stuff I additionally need for my plan is still with RG-R as they‘re waiting for something from HobbySearch to arrive

I would have preferred supporting a small independent over Amazon but I found the whole process painless. 🙁

Martijn Meerts

So, I said I wouldn't order any new stuff until I could actually run them, but I couldn't resist the 8620 and the Hanawa line freight set. Me being me, I of course had to go for not just the base set, but also the additional cars for the full train (including the 2 WaMu 70000 and 2 Wara 1), and of course, go for the triple header setup. So I have 3 8620s coming sometime next month.

The reason it's taking a while, is because I also ordered the Toma Model Works 13 ton Shay kit in H0. This is currently not in stock, but they expected new ones to arrive early October.

These really are the last trains I'll get for a while though, going to focus on getting the N-scale layout to the point where I can run trains in a continuous loop, and also work on building all the H0 kits I have before getting more of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Be sure to share your build of the toma shay, I've been watching their development photos and it looks like it'll build into a very impressive model!

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Yeah, definitely looks like a nice model at a fair price. I think it'll be quite a bit of work to get it ready for paint actually. The kit itself seems easy enough to build, but since it's 3D printed, the boiler especially will need quite a bit of precision sanding.

The rest of my tram track arrived this morning along with an engine shed and some second hand Hornby controllers.I wanted these because they are quite compact,nothing special but do the job.Also got the mdf to construct the baseboard.

Looks like a busy weekend😂😂👍

55EE5896-2F65-4ADD-9501-470A9ECB267A.thumb.jpeg.dc7eb42ff85099fde57dc79ad30f7672.jpeg

F57012AC-93FE-42A7-9412-2793FF5DD5C2.thumb.jpeg.b8ce631a6cc8999204d32252b3b35cb7.jpeg

• Like 7

I always see people rag on those Hornby controllers, and yeah they might be basic, but if you just need a cheap and cheerful controller they are a pretty good option.

I love your track layout, doesn't look like there's a lot of straights being used which I like 

• Like 1