What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

I finally ordered something again :) One of these http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10284945, and a couple more Gundam kits.. It felt wrong just ordering 1 kit, and I've been eyeing those Gundam kits for a while already anyway ...

I took the plunge as well.

Chatting can really be expensive, eh? :D

Mardon

Oooh, a tracking number for a packet from Hobbyland Pochi. I wonder what's in it? ;)

Why, a Squid Train of course!

post-1206-0-28316600-1412835084_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize until it arrived that it's actually a self-contained motorized single-car unit :)

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Why, a Squid Train of course!

attachicon.gifsquid-train.jpg

I didn't realize until it arrived that it's actually a self-contained motorized single-car unit :)

Nice one Squid!

I have the A5933, MicroAce, whereby 2 of its buddies, the Fox train and the Crab train, together with this Squid Train were 'captured' together in a set, all with individual motors! it's like buying 3 trains for the price of 1 ~~   :) 

Ha missed this post and posted in the doreamon thread asking if you got the squid car! Did you get the fox and crab?

There is another squid train though...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10061891

See going to get you into collecting painted trains!

Really is a great train with zoo animals on the other side. Art is based on third grader art.

Cheers

Jeff

Just got the squid. I have a strict policy of restricting purchases to things I can store on the layout (Mr SquidRailcar has a nice lair-cum-shed for himself). Not that I'll be storing all trains on the layout all the time, especially not the nicer ones, but need to have some limits. Also it's a good excuse to expand the layout. :)

BTW that's an octopus on the Meitetsu train.

Darn it, the postman again.

post-1206-0-34709700-1412921617_thumb.jpg

What's this foreign-looking beastie you ask? It's a British Class 58 from Dapol which was on offer at a very good price (relatively speaking). It survived the journey fine, despite the relatively primitive British packaging (damp-looking cardboard box and the packing genius had put the box at the bottom and stuffed bubble-wrap on top). Anyway looks like a nice little machine, which apparently needs "oiling" and "running in" so I'll leave it until the weekend before getting it out for a run.

Today's plan was to acquire some oil suitable for application to the above-mentioned British loco, and it seems the offering from Kato is suitable:

post-1206-0-39711800-1413040721_thumb.jpg

And I was a good little squid and hardly bought anything else. Well, apart from the JNR EF60, which turned out to be the successful candidate for the recently opened position of semi-obscure 2nd generation brown electric locomotive; an outstanding qualification was the bargain price of ca. 3300 yen (new, incl. tax) from Tam Tam in Akihabara. From the same source, some Toki 15000 semi-flatbed wagons, also at an attractive price and they look like they'll be useful for carrying things, especially if towed behind the EF60, which are chronological contemporaries according to my brief research. From the same era but different source, a single 0kei Shinkansen car from the junk section of Big Yard in Nakano; it's actually in suprisingly good condition, the only thing missing are numbering details. However it will join the pool of departmental/experimental stock, where it will become Designated Gauge Tester, and maybe a testbed for lighting installation. Also some useful bits of short track, some cut-price bamboo, a block of blue polystyrene for urban hill construction, and some glue to go with it.

Rakuten is currently running a bonus points promotion (receive points valued at 25% of your order), so I ordered a Kato Hokutosei (full formation plus EF510-500) and a Kato 223-6000 basic set + add-on.  

JR500 seemed very pleased with his Kato 223 purchase last month; I think I'll love mine, too.  Once I acquire a 221 series, I can re-create this video (minus the snazzy layout, sadly):

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Ordered a couple speakers to test if I can somehow get sound in my H0e Baldwin. It's looking to be rather difficult unless I remove 1 of the 2 motors, but doing so might affect performance too much. Apart from the sound decoder and speaker I was hoping I could fit in an LED for cab lighting as well as a firebox LED, but it's going to be a bit of a challenge I think :)

Also order some more decoders as well as components to do flicker free lighting (capacitors, rectifiers, resistors, LED strips etc.), and from before I have a bunch of miniature connectors. The idea is to try and do my own all wheel pickup as well as provide a way to turn interior light on and off. The connectors have 4 poles, so 2 for track power, and 2 to control the interior lighting. Of course it's not going to be as flexible as Tomix's all wheel pickup, but it's mainly meant for trains that stay in formation and on the layout pretty much all the time.

Just need to find a nice train to experiment with :)

Claude_Dreyfus

I went out to play last Saturday to an exhibition quite close to home. I was helping a friend with his layout for the day, so I was kept busy. I did, however, get the chance to have a look around...and to do some shopping.  :)

I have been on the hunt for blue Dapol class 73s (my favourite locomotive by virtue of the fact I grew up with them) as a couple of us are plotting a new project. This will be an N gauge modular based on my local area, set between about 1970 and 1974 (so pre-me by a couple of years). BR blue examples are pretty awkward to find, particularly the elusive 'pre-TOPS' example, so I was extremely pleased to see E6033 sitting on a second-hand stall.

post-109-0-14181900-1413228954_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, it did not remain there for long and joined by other correct era 73 (this one with the TOPS number 73108), seen here in the unfamiliar surroundings of Kanjiyama - well, unfamiliar to a class 73 at any rate!

P.S. A sneaky couple of pictures of the very impressive model I had the opportunity to play with on Saturday...

post-109-0-00257500-1413229356_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-28215700-1413229427_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Claude,

Always feels good when you score something like that!

What's the m250 looking train in the second pict?

Cheers

Jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

That vehicle is an MPV (Multi Purpose Vehicle). As their name suggests, they have a variety of uses - de-icing, weed killing and sandite (sprayed onto the track to improve rail adhesion). They have also been tested on some freight. They are particularly common in my area.

The model is a Shapeways kit powered with a Tomytec chassis.

JR500 seemed very pleased with his Kato 223 purchase last month; I think I'll love mine, too.  Once I acquire a 221 series, I can re-create this video (minus the snazzy layout, sadly):

Thanks for remembering 1954G! the 223 series was initially not in my to-get list, but I saw it on bargain so might as well. It's quite a beautiful train too, and the headlights and tail lights look really cool¬¬

By the way, I think the layout is in a store, cause there are hanging products at the background of the video (seen at around 0:13). I would like to have a layout like this too but I guess it's impossible....

Anyhow, your video made me looked for the 221 series now ¬  :)

Hahaha JR500 ... I like 223 also, but I must stick to my themes so that I don't exceed my annual budget.

Hey!  Aren't you supposed to be on vacation with your wife? :o

Hahaha JR500 ... I like 223 also, but I must stick to my themes so that I don't exceed my annual budget.

Hey!  Aren't you supposed to be on vacation with your wife? :o

Hi E6 san!

Thanks for remembering! Yap I came back from a train-less country on the 13th...

Hhmm this brings me to the next question:

I have the 10-537 Shin-Kaisoku 233-2000 (1st edition) 4-car set. As I checked yesterday, I couldn't understand how the front coupler works. So my question is will this set be actually connectable to the 221 series? Appreciate some feedback on this....

@ 1954G - As I checked HS, the 221 series was scheduled to re-release in late Nov this year (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044324) but the reservations are closed now at HS. Perhaps we can check other online suppliers to see if pre-ordering this together with the 2-car add-on set is still possible at this stage of time. That is of course i'm absolutely sure I can connect my 223 to the 221.....

@ 1954G - As I checked HS, the 221 series was scheduled to re-release in late Nov this year (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044324) but the reservations are closed now at HS. Perhaps we can check other online suppliers to see if pre-ordering this together with the 2-car add-on set is still possible at this stage of time. That is of course i'm absolutely sure I can connect my 223 to the 221.....

Model train plus still has 2 on offer for reservation.

OT stuff arrived today........

N-scale Fleischmann Piccolo Lok7 steamer (not bad for $20 in ebay)

HOn30 Minitrains rolling stock

post-1282-0-48190600-1413536988_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-17422600-1413537002_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-73399900-1413537017_thumb.jpg

Mardon

I have the 10-537 Shin-Kaisoku 233-2000 (1st edition) 4-car set. As I checked yesterday, I couldn't understand how the front coupler works. So my question is will this set be actually connectable to the 221 series? Appreciate some feedback on this....

If there's been no changes from the older version of the models (which I own), there is a switch on the underside that you push towards the coupler to release it from its storage position. That's it! :)

Edited by EF65 1100

I have received this one : 

The Irodori! I love this baby, especially the bright eyes and the large LCD screen at the ends. Very beautiful train, and definitely worth keeping! Congrats!

If there's been no changes from the older version of the models (which I own), there is a switch on the underside that you push towards the coupler to release it from its storage position. That's it! :)

Thanks! I found the switch, but it doesn't seem to want to come out permanently; i.e. it always springs back to it's storage location. Also, there's the storage cover which I kinda have a problem taking out to expose the coupler...

Not something for my layout, but the stork did deliver this on Tuesday - the next generation of Japanese model rail enthusiast?  :)

P1150858.jpg

Edited by Sean
  • Like 9