Tomytec fire station as tram carbarn

velotrain

I've always enjoyed bashing plastic structure kits, but never thought about why.  Today I realized it's mostly due to the continuing series of problem-solving challenges you're presented with.  Although you may have a general plan of attack when you start, there are always new decisions to be made throughout the process.

I'm still vacillating on what sort of shed structure to extend the depth of this with.  Although I was leaning toward open-sided based on Viktor's suggestion, I may go back to a closed building.

I have finalized plans on how I'm going to use this.  It will be at one end of a 1' X 4' layout, with another carbarn at the other end, using enhanced TCS mode 5 to run three trams back and forth.  I was going to use the Tomix brick structure, but now think I'll bash a Greenmax industrial shed into multiple typical Japanese tram sheds.

I'm also planning for the future option of adding another 1' X 4' section behind a skyboard, to also provide loop operation.  This might be a downtown with a station, or possibly a more rural area.  Or, it might even have a Euro or North American theme.  I considered building this segment on one side of a 2' X 4' board, but then realized I prefer to keep it thinner for greater portability.

gallery_941_135_17189.jpg

gallery_941_135_79181.jpg

• Like 3

I had previously thought this style of carbarn was unique to North America, but just found a similar one built in Fremantle, Australia, early in the 20th century - when the line was quite new and running single truck cars.

gallery_941_135_2622.jpg

I ran across some other interesting carbarns, another of which was also in Australia.  The Fort Macquarie Tram Depot was built on the site of a former fort, hence the unusual architecture.  Most will be more familiar with the current occupant of the site, the Sydney Opera House.

gallery_941_135_366649.jpg

Lastly - and in the same general area of the world, is a carbarn of a sort that I suspect very few have ever seen before.  This is the monorail system of the Sentosa Island resort in Singapore.  The track on the left joins the mainline loop in the background.  Who would have thunk it - a monorail transfer table.

gallery_941_135_43675.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, Kato.  I have the board built - it ended up being 15" deep.

Still pondering if I should put Homasote, foam or cork sheet over the plywood.

gallery_941_135_39688.png

I decided it was time to build the shed extension for this.

I haven't scratchbuilt anything in a while, and had forgotten how satisfying it is.

gallery_941_135_56491.jpg

gallery_941_135_6843.jpg

gallery_941_135_7823.jpg

gallery_941_135_3064.jpg

gallery_941_135_75081.jpg

• Like 6

Interesting array of trams. Mobo 101, Keihan 60 and a Toei 7000.

I'll take your word for it - I select purely on a visual basis !!!

I consider the project completed, but haven't placed it anywhere if that's what you're asking.

Although, I do plan to use it as one end of a small tram layout called Carbarn Shuffle, using the Tomix 5563 in cloned mode #5.

I'll have options to expand this in four directions - 4' X 16".

gallery_941_135_39688.png