Tomytec fire station as tram carbarn

velotrain

Ever since I first saw the Tomytec fire station, it has reminded me of a certain type of streetcar carbarn.  This type was employed by smaller companies, and was built  perpendicular to a main street of the town.  There would be a ticket office / waiting area on the first floor, and general offices above.  Even if a route officially started elsewhere, passengers were generally allowed to board here before the streetcar left for it's run.  I only found a couple of photos of this general type, but am reasonably certain that I've seen images of even smaller structures / operations than these represent.  This has some similarities to the Toden-Arakawa line, although their HQ is recessed from the street.

gallery_941_135_91097.jpg

gallery_941_135_68743.jpg

I've decided to use this on a small linear layout (15" X 4') with the TCS enhanced mode #5, where three trams serially leave the carbarn and run to three different locations before returning.  One major benefit over the Tomix brick carbarn - which I like, is that I can merge all three tracks into one over a much shorter distance, which allows more length to split the tracks at the other end, even with varied elevations.  It's also easier to fit into an urban scene, as stores and other buildings can be placed adjacent to it.

The building is only temporarily assembled using the provided tabs and slots.  I now understand why retailer photos of the structure always look like it's falling apart.  Right now there isn't even space for an imaginary wire, but I'll be removing the floor and recessing the track into the layout base, or might even eliminate the sleeping area over the tracks. 

gallery_941_135_156110.jpg

• Like 4

It works.  Just cut the base up to give yourself 5mm extra clearance.

I think fitting 3 trams into that garage is a tight squeeze.  Maybe 2 in there and 1 down the side?

Good idea - I knew it was tight, but had worked hard to get the tracks to fit.

There is a brick wall on the left, which could become a driveway to the rear of the yard, with one track in it.

Did they have structures like this in Australia?

Some of our tram depots or sheds were of similar architectural style. But unlike American practice, passengers never boarded the cars in the depot. The public were never permitted entry into the depot grounds, there were always tram stops in the streets nearby.

Enfield_tram_depot_late_1940%27s.jpg

Enfield depot, Sydney.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

But unlike American practice, passengers never boarded the cars in the depot. The public were never permitted entry into the depot grounds, there were always tram stops in the streets nearby.

It's possible that I'm imagining that aspect, and can't say for certain just what it's drawn on.

You're not imagining it - what you describe was very common on US traction lines. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark - thanks for the confirmation.  I don't know if I ever encountered this as a child, or just where I picked up the notion from.  It makes sense for people who live/work closer to the carbarn than the official rout - and you're guaranteed a seat.

==>>  If that's a water tank in front of Enfield, is it left over from steam days?  It's likely something else, but does have a bit of classic Brit water tank look - bush style ;-)

Of course, I'm really curious what that even taller structure next to it is . . . . .

Rick - I've had it in mind ever since I saw that kit last summer.  There may be better donor kits on the U.S. market, but this one just suggested itself to me.

I know I need to widen it, and raise the roof of the tram bay (more likely lower the railhead height), but don't think I'll change the depth, as it would require so much kitbashing that a scratchbuild would be easier.  I might have some open space behind it, but based on how I'm planning on using it, it won't be much.  

What I like is that the entire thing is only about 9" Sq., and is well suited to mode 5.

Mudkip Orange

The Houston version of this survived as a bus storage/washing facility into the 1980s...

eFcFou4.jpg

It's a community college branch campus now.

G'day Charles,

You're right, the water tank was originally used to supply the steam tram motors that ran on the Enfield line before electrification. It was later used to supply water for the sprinkler and scrubber cars that were based at this depot. The tank was a typical NSW Government Railways modular type made out of cast iron panels.

The other taller structure also supported a similar water tank, which was elevated to provide a good head of water for the depot fire protection system. This tank survives today, we have it on-site at the tramway museum at Loftus.

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

You're not imagining it - what you describe was very common on US traction lines. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Not traction, but it's done here in Brazil on long-distance bus lines - you can buy tickets and get on or off at the company garage. Often it's more convenient than getting on or off at the bus station. Passengers wait outside the gate though, but one can get on as soon as the driver puts the bus door outside the gate.

cheers NB

Nick_Burman

Charles, this is a neat conversion. You may need to explore making the carbarn a bit deeper (front to back).

Rich K.

Maybe using an extension made out of corrugated metal (or in Japan, wood)?

Cheers NB

velotrain

Can anyone tell me what the meaning / function of the structure on the roof is?  

My first guess would be some sort of shrine asking protection of the firemen and / or honoring those who may have lost their lives in the line of duty.

I'm basically wondering if it would be inappropriate for a tram company office, while admitting that Japanese tram companies never had offices / carbarns like this.

gallery_941_135_96374.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the meaning / function of the structure on the roof is?

Most probably the location for the traditional warning bell to make everyone in the area aware of a fire hazard. With wooden structures in densely packed communities, this is quite important. It also counts as an activator for the voluntary firemen that aren't stationed in the fire station.

velotrain

I considered that, and the possibility of the beacon being lit if there was a fire in the neighborhood, but the overall design suggests more than a functional use.  The base looks to be stone, which means designing a stronger roof than would otherwise be required.

I was also wondering if it was the sort of thing that might normally be at ground level, but Tomytec chose to model it on the roof for whatever reason.  It just looks odd up there, but perhaps that's just me not viewing it with a Japanese perspective.

Many old fire stations had a firetower, a kind of watchtower that was used to keep watch for non chimney smoke. Before the invention of the telephone, this was the fastest way to detect an emergency. This is the same reason why starting open fires within city limits needed and still needs a permit, to avoid false alarms. The oldest one i know of is from the XIII. century and still stands in Sopron and has become a symbol of the city. In Japan, they became popular in the edo period and some of them are still around.

The old european one i mentioned:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/2012-ben_megújult_Tűztorony.JPG/800px-2012-ben_megújult_Tűztorony.JPG

And a japanese one:

http://www.city.morioka.iwate.jp/dbps_data/_material_/_files/000/000/003/408/11.jpg

http://www.city.morioka.iwate.jp/moriokagaido/rekishi/kenzobutsu/003408.html

ps:

I think it should be easy to remove the lookout tower and replace it with a water tower or something similar. Also the back extension could be done in an open air metal roof on wood pillars fashion, which would leave the trams stored under the roof visible.

velotrain

Greenmax, Miniatuart and Tomytec all produce fire lookout towers, but I'm guessing they have generally disappeared from the Japanese landscape.

I can't help but think that the more ornamental / ceremonial look of this one somehow suggests something additional, besides pure functionality.

In particular, I wonder why the base is stone instead of brick.

It would also make more sense to have an internal stairway, vs. a door to the roof and then a ladder - or, is that for practice?

Although, the round section above the base looks like it may represent a railing, suggesting that it is a platform used for surveying the neighborhood.

Perhaps I can pretend that it was indeed built as a fire station, but the tram company took it over when the city determined it was redundant - as the British say.

I think it should be easy to remove the lookout tower and replace it with a water tower or something similar.

That takes me to the reason for asking.  The kit roof has three holes for the tower, and I'd rather not have to fill in the holes or replace the roof.

I could possibly cut off the beacon and replace it with a water tank, even though it all comes as one pre-painted piece.

It rather looks like something that should be in a park, instead of on a roof.

I was about to start on a wood-walled rear extension as Nick suggested, but I rather like your idea.

It would also make it a lot easier to rerail if necessary.

I could paint a walkway straight across from the "waiting room" doors (maybe replace these with glass doors), and the trams would need to park behind that line.

I was a bit hesitant to widen the opening, until I realized that the width of a track plus the sensor is the determining factor.

It turns out to be about the width of the four-window sections, so I've sawn off the rear wall of the dormitory, but will need to create a new wall and longer roof.

I may look at the possibility of fitting a sensor to a piece of flextrack.

Instead of splitting the track shortly after this carbarn as originally planned, I think I will have the Tomix brick enginehouse at the other end and call the layout the Carbarn Shuffle.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

I just did a kanji search for "old fire station", (after having no success with simply fire station) and look what I found:

gallery_941_135_114738.jpg

They've changed the height and "feel" of the tower, causing the reaction I had.

The kit roof has three holes for the tower, and I'd rather not have to fill in the holes or replace the roof.

I would just add a rectangular base plate to a water tower and glue it above the holes.

I may look at the possibility of fitting a sensor to a piece of flextrack.

This could be an interesting challenge. Using the paved street sensors and tracks could be easier. Just place the whole structure (minus the bottom plate) on top of a bunch of tracks and some filler foam. The poles on top of the sensors are optional and the sensors could be partially under the main building and outside the building, since the walls can rest on top them.

They've changed the height and "feel" of the tower, causing the reaction I had.

Great find! The stone work on it is stone plate covered brick wall though.

velotrain

I would just add a rectangular base plate to a water tower and glue it above the holes.

I think I'll go with the option of it being a converted fire station, so no reason not to include it as is.

This could be an interesting challenge. 

I'm not sure it would really be difficult - I only need to get the long prong's metal strip in contact with the bottom of the inside rail, and make sure the sensor is positioned correctly inside the outer rail.  It looks like the prongs might naturally fit between the ties, so it would be very similar to the Tomix track - but, I would need to apply some bottom pressure - unless, sideways press-fit from the surrounding ties works.  Otherwise, gluing the track down might be enough.  I just tried the prong sensors for the first time yesterday, but might like them better.  It seems to me that this sensor requires less wheel pressure, while the track sensor causes my lighter trams to jump in the air.

I am considering this because I was thinking of using all flex except for the turnouts.  As with the terminal module design, it's partly cost - but also wanting to keep the Tomix pieces for experimenting with possible future track arrangements; on the module it's an issue of visually disliking the roadbed where there shouldn't be any.  Here there is the additional motivation of being able to set the exact curves / spacing that I want for each track, without being a slave to Tomix.

Using the paved street sensors and tracks could be easier.

OTOH, I would have a ready built "concrete" floor, so that is a plus.  Maybe I should try using tram track for the curves also, and see how much "street coverage" I get.  i.e. - how much will I need to cut off, and fill-in between them, if any.  I measured the width of single tram track, and it's exactly the same as fine track with the prong sensor.

The stone work on it is stone plate covered brick wall though.

I don't care what it is, I wasn't understanding why it wasn't brick - like the rest of the building.  Just the architect being fancy, I guess.

I found plenty of tower-like structures when I searched for fire stations, but they generally tended to be more modern, or better integrated with the whole building, and I was trying to find something similar to that on the Tomytec kit.  When I saw that image, I knew right away that it was a Bingo.  It makes me wonder about Tomytec's design decision process for what they keep and what they change.  For example, the emblem on the front of the dormitory section just adds extra work in making the master and production painting, while I'm not sure it adds anything.  It also looks like there is internal access to the tower, so they must have thought that the ladder would be an interesting detail.

I later went back and looked at the site, but it doesn't really have much more - although I didn't translate it.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ryuw-1/e/bd254c25833d6ed953b294e65b247b37

brill27mcb

Charles,

If you look at my automated 3-block city layout video on youtube again, you will see that I notched out the street covers (back then one had to build street track pieces with the Tomix 3076 kit pieces glued onto regular Fine Track) to go around the push-in TCS sensors. The top of the sensor looks like some sort of access plate in the paving.

Rich K.

velotrain

Rich - on the 5568 wide tram sensor, where does the cable plug in - to the ends or on the sides?

velotrain

To rephrase, no doubt the sockets are on the side, but what I'm wondering is if you can place the 5568 tracks adjacent to each other with the sensor cables plugged into the sockets? 

Or, is the socket location such that the cable would protrude into the adjoining track?

I wouldn't mind doing some surgery on the bottom of the track to create clearance if needed.

The tram tracks have slots for the road joiners, which can be used for routing cables around. The sensor tracks were designed in a way to be usable when connected to other tracks and even when they have other tram tracks next to them. Also, you can place the sensors next to each other looking at the same direction, so the cable sockets won't be next to each other. Another option is to route the cables down through a hole, but it's not reall needed.