Kato Viaduct Feeder Cords

katoftw

Are these only available in the variation sets?  I cannot find a listing anywhere that they cannot be brought seperately.

If they are available, please link me.  I must be having a blonde moment.

Edited by katoftw

Kato 24-828 UNITRACK Double Track Viaduct Power Cord (2pcs) should do it. I bought some at the LHS a few weeks ago.

Edited by tossedman

I must be having a blonde moment.

Hey I resemble that comment! That's ok blondes do have more fun and the rest are just jealous, so have no option but just be nasty!

Jeff

Is there a trick to plugging in the Viaduct Feeder Cords? My power supply indicates power on. When I hook it up to ground level track my trains move. When I hook it up to the viaduct nothing happens.

When I take the small plug out of the viaduct plug and plug it in to a turnout the turnout works. I know enough not to leave it plugged in for any length of time. So I know that there is power there. Does something have to be done to the turnout plug to make it work? Or to the viaduct track?

Using the Terminal Unijoiner doesn't work because there is no space for the wires at the ends of viaduct pieces.

gerryo

Gerryo

On double viaduct there are special plugs for viaduct only power. They are rectangular and have two clip ears on each end that snap in place when you push them all the way in, then you push in on the ears to get them out. They have two contact nibs on the top end that press up against the bottom of the rails and the clips on the edges keep it up against the rail.

I assume the newer canted double viaduct curves use the same set up the older double viaduct do.

The other ends are standard kato power plugs to plug into the power pack or an extension cord.

Jeff

I got the Viaduct Feeder Cords when I bought the V13 but they do not work.  There is power all the way through but it does not get to the track.  Seems like those two little nubbins do not enter the little square holes where they are supposed to go. 

Anyway I have just finished devising my own system.  Where the two main lines run through the viaduct station I have drilled holes directly under where the wires need to come out of the track.  These holes, in the station plates, allow the Terminal Unijoiner to be led up under the track and into their proper places in the end of the track.  Thus negating the need for special Kato connections.  The thing is, which I failed to do, is to get the polarity right.  Ah well, it's easy enough to take apart again.

One little edit here.  You have to ensure that you don't drill into the top of your station or one of your stores.  I remembered at the last minute and simply slid the store out of the way.

gerryo

Edited by gerryo

Gerryo,

Ok then it's just a matter of wiggling them in place or trying in another piece of track. They can be cranky and tight to get up in there. It may be a tiny bit of flashing up in there somewhere blocking that final click in place. Or a sticky plug as well. I remember we use to always have to make sure they were firmly snapped in on the old club layout we use to build on the fly all the time!

You can also just snip and reverse the wires and resolder. May be simpler than tearing the station apart.

Jeff

brill27mcb

Gerryo,

You have to really push them in all the way. They can seem to be clipped into the underside of the viaduct, when in fact they are not all the way in and are not making contact.

Rich K.

tossedman

Gerryo,

You have to really push them in all the way. They can seem to be clipped into the underside of the viaduct, when in fact they are not all the way in and are not making contact.

Rich K.

I've found the same issue. They need a wiggle or two to get them seated properly sometimes.

Todd

I remeber we even had one section of viaduct track that it would engage but halfway thru the show it would pop out just enough not to carry power any more. Just put a piece of tape over that opening so it was never used in setups and that fixed it. We did make sure it was firmly in each set up and slapped the multimeter in each power hookup on the layout before slapping track in as we found with the old setup/tear down at each show connectors and wires got broken and some things reversed (we had our own ultra thin connectors to poke through small holes that had to use color to get polarity right) now and then so it was way easier testing individually rather wthen all connected to track loops to trouble shoot fast.

Jeff

Since I have had this trouble I feel that it will be simpler to use the Terminal joiners. They are quick and easy and useable anywhere you have two tracks joining. You can't use them on the viaduct pieces but since there is single track Unitrack running through the station in both directions then all you have to do is drill a 3/8in. hole where needed in the station plates.

You have to be careful where you drill the hole, and you have to be very careful about the polarities.

As for the use of Terminal joiners on Unitram track, again, the joiners will fit nicely at any track joint. I have all of my Unitram laid in place except for two 2-1/2 inch pieces where it joins up with the other ground level track. It's a simple matter of removing the existing track joiners and inserting the Unijoiners. And again, as katoftw pointed out, you have to be very careful of proper polarity.

Part of my problem, I know, is that I am building a permanent layout, not one to be taken down every time it is used. Where the wires come down from the tracks and turnouts there will be a hole drilled large enough in the table top to allow the joiners to pass. This is not possible where you set up your layout on a floor or a table. This would not meet with approval from my spouse nor my landlord.

gerryo

I actually managed to install them on unitrack vidaduct pieces. The trick was to add one jointer to one track and the other to the one opposite of that and make sure the wires are towards the center of the pieces so the joiners can be removed later. Then when you connect them together, you can route the wires out through one of the pier joiner holes between the rails. (use the center slot for mounting the pier) I've added two pairs of terminal unijoiners between two canted double curves and they work reliably. For storage in case the layout is temporary, you can disconnect the pieces and fold them together towards each other. The joiners and the wires can be left installed this way.