Future prospects for Kato 1:150 Swiss metre-gauge?

SantaFe1970

I think I would be compelled to eat noodles for a month and buy the Minitrix SBB Krokodil.

Minitrix_12798-M.jpg

I wonder if it would make the 150mm curves.

Edited by Mr Frosty
  • Like 5

Realistically, Kato's best bet would probably be some other Bo-Bo electric locos or railcars. It must be much cheaper to tool a new chassis and shell (using existing bogies, motors, etc) than a complete new loco, especially one with rod drive.

My bets are on either the bernina motors and some 2 axle cars, the 4 section mainline emus or one of the classic locomotives and passenger cars. For passenger cars, either the shorter classic ones that look similar to the kato sbb-s or the all red bernina express tourist coaches. Plus another paint for the glacier express locos, they have x+1 sticker variations with various ads.

Agreed on the BerninaBahn stock. It's brightly-coloured and there are loads of possible liveries (yellow, red, green, or MOW orange). The 4w coaches can be yellow, green, or MOW orange too.

It's interesting that they haven't shown any signs of selling the loco and coaches separately in different liveries, only as packs or the starter set. The Glacier Express coaches used to run around in red with a thick white stripe below the windows, until the matching restaurant cars were made. Some were also owned by the Furka Oberalp who had their own logo on the side

Realistically, Kato's best bet would probably be some other Bo-Bo electric locos or railcars. It must be much cheaper to tool a new chassis and shell (using existing bogies, motors, etc) than a complete new loco, especially one with rod drive.

Yes, like the Ge 4/4 II, look Kato, there's a hint, even with Japanese lettering already on it... ;-)

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%AE%B1%E6%A0%B9%E7%99%BB%E5%B1%B1%E9%89%84%E9%81%93#/media/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB%3AHakone_Tozan_RhB.JPG

Edited by cteno4

But even though it is marketed for Japan, why would they do it in 1/150 scale? Apart from that Shinkansen are also 1/160 even though other Japanese N gauge stuff isn't, creating a European-styled layout in 1/150 is close to impossible if you want to go without scratch-building. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't just go for 1/160. I don't think most Japanese would care and Kato could also make more profit from European modellers.

A former Kato UK distributor complained on a Yahoo group that Kato only listened to the Japanese market even when very simple additions would have improved the marketability of products in export markets. In ten years I've probably heard more complaints about Kato product line from outside Japan than all other Japanese model train makers combined, in or out of Japan.

The RhB is meter gauge. You either cheat with N gauge tracks and make the trains 1:150 or use 1:160 on Z gauge. Kato choose N gauge, so all their accessories would work.

I'm more and more tempted as these cars together with the Allegra and some of the station buildings allow modelling the Arosa line with past and present stock. (only a control trailer is missing, used on both loco and emu hauled push pull services)

Here a small Movie in Swiss German

RhB EW 1 will hit the Market in two sets with four coaches 2017.

Ge 4/4 II will be available 2018.

Freight cars will be announced in the future.

There is a Digital Version of the Allegra available only in Switzerland. But the price is so high that you can spoil open when trying to do the decoder install and still get away cheaper.

An ABe 4/16 could be realized as a variant of the ABe 8/12.

• Like 1

Italian artisan Pi.Ra.Ta. had brass models of RhB log wagons on display in their stand.

Cheers NB

I have both the Glacier and the Allegra in my collection.  

I wish Kato would sell some of the unique freight cars that are used on the RhB.  Don't know if there is a big enough market in 1:150

Italian artisan Pi.Ra.Ta. had brass models of RhB log wagons on display in their stand.

Cheers NB

At about $90 each they are not going to be cheap, I am afraid.

I do have hopes that Kato will extend the line of RhB NG trains. The new EW1 standard coaches this year and the Ge 4/4 II loco next year seem to point in this direction. What started out as a trainset  as a memorabilia for Jpanese tourist having taken a ride on either the Glacier Express or the Bernina Express (or both), will develop into a full range one day.

Despite being the wrong scale on the wrong track, these models enjoy a growing popularity in Europe.

Don't know if there is a big enough market in 1:150

It looks like Kato aimed at a mouse and hit a lion instead...I guess that there are lots of people who would like to model the RhB but just cant afford it (either in $$$$ or in space terms) and Kato opened a door for them. Especially in space terms, N scale makes it possible to model whole chunks of the RhB rather than just stations in a reasonable amount of space. Poschiavo to Hospizio Bernina anyone?

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman

At about $90 each they are not going to be cheap, I am afraid.

Cheap it ain't indeed, however the fact that they took a plunge into it means there is a demand.

Oh if I had a million...but my dream Swiss NG modelling project is rather the MOB out of Montreux up to the summit tunnel.

Cheers NB

Although the "Golden Pass" train from Lucerne to Montreux is also a famous one and very well frequented by Japanese tourists, I doubt that Kato will turn to marketing the MOB, as the line lacks the badge of belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage Register.

Here is a pic of my current RhB-themed layout:

P1030460%20F_zpsrlggikcx.jpg

scotspensioner

An interesting thought I've had on this is a Matterhorn Gotthardbahn Ge4/4 as No 5 Mount Fuji complete with dual European and Japanese nameplates! I saw it at Brig on my one and only visit there in January 1993.

These locos are similar to the Brunig locos I travelled behind the same day between Interlaken and Luzern.

I know No5 was used onGlacier Express workings from a DVD I've got

Thanks for reading an old guys ramblings

The Kato RhB stuff was designed for the Japanese tourist market. The success in Europe was co-incidental, however some loco's have now appeared in the European market only, having been commissioned by Noch.

The latest news is: Ge 4/4 II, EW coaches and a new GE 4/4 III. I've seen the first at Noch, so they might be driving this now.

Meanwhile the likes of Faller are jumping on the bandwagon, announcing a Landwasser viaduct...

Anyway, back to Japan... And the Hakone Tozan... ;-)

Edited by AllScales

An interesting thought I've had on this is a Matterhorn Gotthardbahn Ge4/4 as No 5 Mount Fuji complete with dual European and Japanese nameplates! I saw it at Brig on my one and only visit there in January 1993.

These locos are similar to the Brunig locos I travelled behind the same day between Interlaken and Luzern.

I know No5 was used onGlacier Express workings from a DVD I've got

Thanks for reading an old guys ramblings

... and still is!

I have my doubts that Kato will extend their line of Swiss NG trains much more beyond the RhB focus on the Bernina resp. Glacier Express, although the MGB HGe 4/4  is the correct motive power for half of the run. I am quite sure potential sales would justify it, as sales of Kato´s Swiss line continue to grow.

Faller´s Landwasser viaduct is a nice addition, but not available for any of Kato Unitrack radii.

Let's see if Kato will ever make some ABe4/4-s (series I to III) as these units are the closest thing to Hakone Tozan Moha1-s on the RhB. They also pull the Bernina express. (together with the ABe8/12 Allegras)

I notice Noch are selling some single Ge 4/4 IIIs in different liveries, and am quite tempted to buy one. However, all the photos show Rapido couplers and no indication that they come with close couplers (to match the Bernina stock and the coupler pack for the earlier stock) in the box. Can anyone say whether they do or don't?