Future prospects for Kato 1:150 Swiss metre-gauge?

SantaFe1970

The locos are standard Kato RhB Ge 4/4 III´s, only painted in a different, advertising livery, so the close couplers used for the GEX (Glacier Express) can be used.

PIRATA of Italy announced a Bernina line ABe 4/4 III a few years ago, but it has not yet materialized and I have my doubts it eventuall will. Even if it does, expect to have to pay top $$$ for it.

Edited by Sir Madog

Yes, the basic set for the glacier express also come with rapiods only and you have to get the close coupler set to upgrade it.

The priata ABe4/4 III. was due in 10/2016, but i would prefer a Kato variant for reliability. (imho the I. series would be also popular as those in yellow are one of the most popular RhB cars in LGB, my favourite is the II. series http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RhB_ABe_4/4_II

Yep, should have mentioned that I've just ordered the basic set and the coupler pack (will be ordering the add on set soon). Problem is, you can't buy the loco couplers on their own, so converting a single loco will cost you £10 and leave you with six coaches worth of couplers and gangways in the spares box. Bit much when they want £160 or so for the locos (I'll have paid less for a complete Glacier Express set by the time I finish it)! I doubt it'd even cost them a euro to throw a set of alternative couplers in with the solo locos.

I have the ABe 4/4 I from LGB in yellow, mine is from the first production run before prices got utterly stupid. Also the matching coach, some other Swiss metre gauge four and six wheelers, and the open observation cars. Came into a small inheritance from my paternal grandmother about fifteen years ago, which was invested in G scale.

I doubt it'd even cost them a euro to throw a set of alternative couplers in with the solo locos.

I assume they will do so in the future (or already did), but afaik the close coupler set came out later as a fix for the huge gangway problem as originally they were meant to be used with the rapidos.

The Kato RhB stuff was designed for the Japanese tourist market. The success in Europe was co-incidental,

At the cost of a slight off-topic, so was the success of Bachmann On30 in the US. What was designed as an add-on for Christmas Village ceramic buildings spawned a modelling boom in that scale. Kato seems to have reached a similar situation with its RhB series...

Cheers NB

Idea for some matching scenery - a Brusio-inspired spiral viaduct, tweaked to fit Unitrack geometry and going from ground level to the standard 50mm height of Unitrack viaducts?

Interesting thing, I think Noch have already made a prefabricated tunnel aimed at this range. I bought one from Model Masters in Weston super Mare about a year ago, but haven't seen another identical one. It fits the CV1 pack perfectly, or indeed anything with a half or quarter circle of 150mm Unitrack.

The real Brusio spiral has the following data:

The spiral viaduct is 110 metres (360 ft) long, has a horizontal radius of curvature of 70 metres (230 ft), a longitudinal slope of 7%, and is made up of nine spans, each 10 metres (33 ft) in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusio_spiral_viaduct

Using an R315 curve and a more linear gradient (as the viaduct is only part of the whole spiral) would result in a 2.7% ramp which seems a bit more acceptable for N scale models. Getting some Noch curved stone viaduct pieces and building from those is also possible, but the smallest ones are R360 and may need flex track and would result in a ramp of 2.3%, good for most models.

Yep, I was thinking in terms of a ready-to-plant feature (clip together in the same style as the Kato viaduct sections and compatible with them). You could use it with the normal single track viaduct pieces in a tabletop or carpet layout, or bed it into the landscape on a permanent layout. Something like the curved girder bridge pack Kato released recently.

Using 315mm radius would easily bring you from ground level to 50mm within a single turn, the V2 expansion pack suggests that as part of a layout. I built it once and trains had no trouble climbing the ramps. Not sure if it would work with tighter curves, given that a major part of the appeal of the RhB stock is its ability to negotiate 150mm radius.

I think all the new RhB stuff comes with the close couplings factory fitted...

The Bernina express set did. I'm keeping my "Bernina Heidieland" loco with Rapidos so it can haul my (completely non-prototypical) rake of N goods wagons. Just for a bit of a change from the glacier expresses...

• Like 1

You can get it from AB Modell / Germany, based on Kato´s Allegra.

http://www.n-schmalspur.de/neu16-16.pdf

Not cheap though!

Actually, I think the price of about 385 Euros is expensive, but still reasonable for a custom paint and decalling job. The even higher price of 545 Euros is for the re-auged version which runs on more prototypical 6.5mm track.

• Like 1

Sir Madog,

I don't doubt your wisdom and expertise.  I want one, but ............

Maybe a couple of pay checks away.  

There is no way I could afford one of them. I already have a hard time saving up the bucks for a regular Kato Allegra.

The open question is: Are the Einheitswagens the shorter versions built to also run on the Bernina Bahn or the standard "mainline" versions?

These are the longer ones. Just check the car numbers here: http://www.rail-info.ch/RhB/technik/A_B.de.html

There are 3 first class cars, 4 second class cars and a rebuilt 1st/2nd class as 2nd class (all with FFA body and SIG bogies). The consists could be found on the Albula and Disentis lines, with the same car types also used on the Arosa line. (for that, it would still need a control and a salon car) With the current possible configurations, they are conists that people could see along the Glacier express route.

I worked it out too, just counted the number of windows instead... ;-)

I'm hoping for a Krokdil and the ACPE coaches at some point!

On another note, my local dealer here in London doesn't know if he'll (or Gaugemaster for that matter) be able to get the coaches, I might need to get them from Germany or Japan!

Hmmmm... Looking at those RhB trains more and more makes me want them more and more... The upcoming coaches and locomotive will probably convince me. A little hybrid Swiss diorama also probably wouldn't hurt... Much.

Das Steinkopf

Hmmmm... Looking at those RhB trains more and more makes me want them more and more... The upcoming coaches and locomotive will probably convince me. A little hybrid Swiss diorama also probably wouldn't hurt... Much.

I have always had a thing for the RhB and would have loved to have built a HOm layout, however the price tag of Bemo locomotives and rolling stock scared me off of that one, mind you if Kato expands into freight stock and other railcars such as the ABe 4/4 and ABe 4/4 II then I dare say I will be taking the plunge.

• Like 1

I have always had a thing for the RhB and would have loved to have built a HOm layout, however the price tag of Bemo locomotives and rolling stock scared me off of that one, mind you if Kato expands into freight stock and other railcars such as the ABe 4/4 and ABe 4/4 II then I dare say I will be taking the plunge.

If so, then most definitely. I may just get a few cars and one or two locos anyway sooner or later. Maybe I'll get the RhB Virus and start making N-scale 3D models... Who knows xD

cheap enough imho, if compared to other european trains.

And even better, they sell the decals for Eur 25,--  !

Edit: Well, not anymore - SOLD OUT !

Tim

Edited by wintimtim
scotspensioner

I just noticed this morning that Modelbahn Kramm are advertising a model of an Rhb Ge4/4  ki in N gauge by a new manufacturer MADE models.Basic models priced at 147-50 euros but there are various models with DCC and sound as well

Now is this compatible? Interesting to say the least