Kato 10-354 Motor not even responding

NB1231

Yeah since it's turning I'm betting it's tarnished contacts. Bad news is you will need to take apart the trucks to clean them. Good news is that if that is what the problem is it's fixable!

Jeff

Yeah since it's turning I'm betting it's tarnished contacts. Bad news is you will need to take apart the trucks to clean them. Good news is that if that is what the problem is it's fixable!

Jeff

At least the trucks are apart lol. I'll get some brasso and the other cleaners listed and see what happens.

Nate

• Like 1

Nate,

Brasso works well, but you can also make your own with some acid and salt using kitchen ingredients. Even ketchup is acidic enough!

Isopropanol at 70% (90 is too high and 50 not enough) is handy to have to clean parts of grease and muck. It can even clean the contacts pretty well if not heavily tarnished (in this case you need to remove the oxidation chemically with a cleaner). Get it at the grocery store or drug store. Make sure it's isopropanol as this is the gentlest on paints and plastics with short exposures. Qtips from the dollar store are also handy.

Always handy to have a bottle of isopropanol around as if you ever spill coffee onto your keyboard or cell phone or dunk it in water you can always open it up the best you can, rinse well with water (remove the battery) and then flush well with isopropanol to get rid of the water and the isopropanol dries quickly. I've saved countless pieces of electronics over the decades from spilled cokes and coffees!

I'll send you a set of wires you can plug into the controller and use to test things as you go along.

Jeff

Nate,

Brasso works well, but you can also make your own with some acid and salt using kitchen ingredients. Even ketchup is acidic enough!

Isopropanol at 70% (90 is too high and 50 not enough) is handy to have to clean parts of grease and muck. It can even clean the contacts pretty well if not heavily tarnished (in this case you need to remove the oxidation chemically with a cleaner). Get it at the grocery store or drug store. Make sure it's isopropanol as this is the gentlest on paints and plastics with short exposures. Qtips from the dollar store are also handy.

Always handy to have a bottle of isopropanol around as if you ever spill coffee onto your keyboard or cell phone or dunk it in water you can always open it up the best you can, rinse well with water (remove the battery) and then flush well with isopropanol to get rid of the water and the isopropanol dries quickly. I've saved countless pieces of electronics over the decades from spilled cokes and coffees!

I'll send you a set of wires you can plug into the controller and use to test things as you go along.

Jeff

Awesome! Thanks for the tips you guys are all so helpful and I love it! Especially towards a noob with too many questions :)

Forgot to mention you can ask any friends there in the dorm if they have a silver cloth to polish jewelry.mthese can clean off a tarnish layer quickly on brass and copper. They won't work if it's heavy corrosion though...

Just use the pointy end of a pen cap or something to rub the cloth on the contact areas.

Jeff

Forgot to mention you can ask any friends there in the dorm if they have a silver cloth to polish jewelry.mthese can clean off a tarnish layer quickly on brass and copper. They won't work if it's heavy corrosion though...

Just use the pointy end of a pen cap or something to rub the cloth on the contact areas.

Jeff

Will do thanks!! [emoji2]

i think i have a couple of little ones somewhere here in the piles and if i find one ill throw it in with the wires

jeff

I've had problems in the past with secondhand models which were stored in a damp and cold environment. The problem was that the motor brushes had seized in their holders. isopropyl  dripped through the ends of the brush holders and around them and left for a short while usually enabled me to carefully  remove the holders and dismantle clean and reassemble everything.  Sometimes you can see a slight gap between a brush and commutator, before you start to dismantle the assembly. Also Watch out for the brush springs. They like to drop on carpet, etc. Just a possibility to consider. 

• Like 1

The correct set size for the classic grand hikari is 16 cars. From 22 cars, you can probably make a decent 16 car set. I don't know which set makes up the surplus cars, but you might be able to make another (shorter) set with an additional base set. (like a 16+12 or 14+14 car sets or just sell the surplus cars)

I like your math!

Hello Mr Jeff,

Bistromathic: the phenomenon whereby the total printed on the bill inexplicably exceeds the sum of the individual items on the bill.

But I digress.

On reading this thread my best guess is that a good clean and a little love is all the 100系 needs to get back on the rails.  Let's hope.

It looks like a few people might have misunderstood what i wrote:

a ) 22 cars = 16 cars and 6 car surplus

b ) brand new 6 car base set + 6 car surplus = 12 cars

c ) and a 16 car full set and a 12 car hacked together set can be made into two 14 car not fully correct sets

assuming the 6 car surplus is made up of one extra 6 car extension pack or 3 two car extension packs.

So sorry Mr kvp,

It was my mistake.  Lost in translation, but it makes perfect sense to me now.  You mean to say that by purchasing a second base set you can add the surplus cars to make another, shorter consist.  I understand now. So sorry for my mistake.