My Tokuyama station layout

Eurostar25

Thanks Beakaboy, back down to Christchurch but looking to get back up to Hamilton as soon as I can, I'm leaving the wife and house in Hamilton and figured I needed a project to work on while I'm down south.

Given the NZ dollar has dropped against pretty much all currencies and badly so against the yen, I thought I should start using the bits and pieces I've stock piled from over the current year!

This is the rough layout of the module, just waiting on picking up a couple of smaller short kato pieces. The front mainline will be lifted up but only to half the height of the Shinkansen lines. The module will be connected to other modules by the kato transition pieces.

Looking forward to working with the river scene, as I haven't used any of the water products before.

Does anyone have any preferences for water material? Woodland scenics, Ezi water, bachmann?

post-921-0-44861800-1444164887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eurostar25

I think if you are gonna put a river under those bridges, you'll need to make a cut out into the module base/box by 2-3cm.

and nice module idea by the way.

Edited by katoftw

Thanks Katoftw, I had thought about cutting into the base board but given its only 5cm thick I thought I would try and lift the tracks up on some Kato piers I picked up at Popondetta Osaka last year for about ¥50 a piece. My thoughts are to cut them in half and give about a 2.5cm pier for the track.

Will see how it goes/looks...

post-921-0-72877000-1444187070_thumb.jpg

Awesome!  I like how you cut the other piers down by 2.0-2.5cm.  My suggestion was to cut into the base and raise the back pier.  But your solution saves cutting and does the same job well.

Edited by katoftw

Thanks Katoftw, the downside of my solution is now I need two inclines on the attaching modules with a gradient up to the 2cm level. Granted it's not too much but it could cause issues. Will see in due course! Better finish this one first!

Finished the module side panels last night so next step is to apply another layer of filler up to the edges and then the scenery building can begin. Experimenting with colours now for the river bed but then realized Google earth is the way to go for true colours of the Fuji river!

The bridge spans are all sitting there temporarily as I'll need to complete the water beneath them before locking them into place.

post-921-0-25672600-1445278797_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

99% happy that it's completed, I reckon just a couple of fisherman in the river and a descent backdrop of Fuji San it'll be pretty complete.

The realistic water from woodland scenics would definitely be up there with my least favourite product to use, it went absolutely everywhere are I poured the first layer, running all off the leading and trailing edge even though it had a dam at either end it still found a way to run out the gap.

I ended up running a bead of glue around all the gravel pits in the river and around the edge of the baseboard, then pouring about 5 layers of 'water' in to get the final deep look.

Attached was the photo I was originally working off, again I'm not one for prototypical running, the Railstar certainly wouldn't be running over the Fuji river, and I'm not sure about the EH500 too for that matter.

post-921-0-52086900-1449356992_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-31876600-1449357069_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-79915000-1449357088_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-77986800-1449357117_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-44347300-1449357142_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-99657500-1449357176_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-83773200-1449357197_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-04333000-1449357229_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Wow awesome indeed.  Nice work Eurostar.  I did a bit of a double take on the fourth and sixth ones, the detail of the work plus the real houses in the background tricked me :)

Thanks Miyakoji, the detailing on the Kato bridges are excellent.

I should've chosen a clearer patch in the garden and a sunnier day though!

Eurostar,

Wow, great work! Kudos! Great photo work also!

Be very proud!

So how are your modules going to connect up? Are you doing all this with a club?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

This is all just for myself, my next module will be a corner to connect the 2 that I already have. Using kato' expansion tracks to connect all them together.

Aiming to have them fit into a spare bedroom once all complete and on their own tables. There will be 10 in total so I still have a way to go before I can run things properly.

Main plan being the double track viaduct with a station plus the lower dual mainline with the Kato overhead transit station plus yard to store waiting trains.

Ambitious but like I say to the wife it keeps me out of trouble!

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

KVP - the water I used was 'Woodland Scenics realistic water'. I googled how to use it online before hand as there are so many ways you can use it...

I wanted to be able to see a layer of stones under the water so I glued the ballast down first and then painted it as close as I could to the tint of the satellite image of Fuji River from google maps. Next I dam'd up the ends of the module with spare wood and wax paper and clamped these to the edge to create a dam to keep the realistic water from leaking. However it wasn't enough and sure enough the solution leaked all down the side of the module and over the floor.

So I read more online and found you needed to run a bead of glue around the area you want to contain the water in, so I did that, then re applied the gravel over the glue to hide the obvious bead. (This is still obvious along the front of the module in photo 7.)

I then poured 4 layers in total, allowing a minimum 24 hours for the realistic water to set hard.

To finish it off I used 'Woodland Scenics water effects' and just dabbled the solution (like a putty) around areas where I thought small rapids might be created by the stones within the river. I let that dry and then I was left with the water you see on the module.

I really like the water effect, I think it brings a bit of life to the scene.

Hope this helps! 

post-921-0-60858300-1449400641_thumb.jpg

Awesome work! I like the weathering of the bridges, the gravels on the banks and of course the river.

And it so cool that you took the photos outside.

Did you use Woodland Scenics bushes next to the Shinkansen track?

Thanks IST, and yes I did you woodlands scenics cluster foliage for the bushes around the module, just pulled them apart from the bag and used white glue to hold them in place.

post-921-0-19217700-1449426190_thumb.jpg

• Like 1