My Tokuyama station layout

Eurostar25

Today I had a go at placing the various Tomytec kits that I had picked up recently onto the module.

The shrine itself in reality is as elevated as it appears here, it was just below eye level with the viaduct track over the street. It also had a very steep access road which was great fun in the wee rental car we picked up with it loaded to the brim with 4 kiwis, we certainly had the motor working hard that day!

Its not quite as the prototype as there's the main highway between the shrine and viaduct but I don't quite have that room on the module - as in the Google maps photo.

Plenty more detailing to be done. There will be a road leading to the gas plant between the viaduct and mainline on the left of the picture. It'll go underneath the viaduct.

Plenty more pipe work to be done around the gas works.

On the right side between the shrine and the right edge I'll pop a petrol station - not quite the prototypical but keeping with the industrial side of the module and a good space filler.

It would've been good to have a spur line off to the gas plant but it's largely hidden by the viaduct track anyway and the module to the left which will connect to this one is planned to be a storage yard. The module to the right is the yet to built first half of Tokuyama station.

post-921-0-09461500-1461904631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eurostar25
  • Like 2
Eurostar25

I had the day off work today so tackled the module a bit more

Plastered and painted the visible slopes, painted as much colour as I could over the module to hide the timber or stark plaster.

Spent a very long time gluing the pipe works together. Gee they're fiddly and the geometry needs to be square otherwise they look all bent and twisted. Many attempts were made and many fingers welded together throughout the day.

Didn't have enough styrene or ballast in my stocks so that's tomorrows job to get a surface for the temple and hopefully start to apply the ground cover

post-921-0-81207800-1462072446_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-45569900-1462072460_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-32059900-1462072475_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
serotta1972

Your progress is astounding, makes me feel like a total slacker.  I can't even paint my table green.  I think I've resigned myself to a mere train runner - thank goodness for these wonderful Unitracks.   :)

• Like 1
Eurostar25

Thanks Serotta, I'm liking this one as it's an industrial scene which is different to what I've tried before. Have a go at making a small scenic module, even just to display a train, it's very rewarding, even more enjoyable too is taking photos that are believable.

JR 500系

That looks great!

Yap I agree with Serotta.. I feel like a complete slacker as compared to your progress... Need to get started on mine again....

Eurostar25

I had a few hours yesterday and managed to fit in all the pipe works around the viaduct supports.

A very fiddly job but worth it. The viaducts are not glued down yet as I'll be filling in the area around the pipes with fine gravel. Granted most of the pipes are hidden from view I still thought they were worth it rather than a blank space. It was surprising how long the pipes became out of the tomytec kit.

Fences, road markings, and signage all yet to be added.

post-921-0-09899600-1462230168_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-24044900-1462230187_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
Eurostar25

I had a spare afternoon off and managed to get most of the gravel in and around the viaduct supports.

So much more to do though on this side of the module. It's quite good having two sections on the go, while one half is drying the other half can be worked on.

The shrine grounds need smoothing out with gap filler before painting, all footpaths and side walks need a 2nd coat of paint, as does the road surface - which will be getting kobaru transfers when they arrive.

More gap filler is needed around the road surface leading up to the shrine, painting fences, ballast, weathering... And so on!

post-921-0-52802700-1462595115_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
Eurostar25

Just wondering if anyone can help out, I picked up a 6 car Haruka set locally reasonably cheaply (even though the new one is coming out soon), however its missing a couple of air conditioners on the roof and a pantograph. I've had a look at the information within the kato box but there appears to be no specific part number for the air conditioners.

Does anyone know if they're a generic part?

I have found the pantograph item code though but its out of stock it seems 

Thanks in advance 

post-921-0-15862000-1462696941_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone can help out, I picked up a 6 car Haruka set locally reasonably cheaply (even though the new one is coming out soon), however its missing a couple of air conditioners on the roof and a pantograph. I've had a look at the information within the kato box but there appears to be no specific part number for the air conditioners.

Does anyone know if they're a generic part?

I have found the pantograph item code though but its out of stock it seems

Thanks in advance

If you can't get a replacement for the air conditioners, send one to me (Masterton) and I'll make a silicone mold and cast some new resin ones for you. Detail should be pretty good.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great pipe work Eurostar! If you get in a fix to add any other detail pipe work, plastic sprues from model kits work great for them as well! With a few old kits you can make those refinery pipe cubes that do smaller cracking and distillation but all you see from the outside is a bit of framework and a total rats nest of pipes of all sizes!

Cheers

Jeff

Eurostar25

@ Utrainia - thank you very much for the offer, I'll certainly consider it!

@ Jeff - thanks for the ideas, I've often looked at the sprues and thought exactly that - and the pipe kitset came with plenty so I cut one up and made it into the viaduct height warning barrier in the photo below

@ Bernard - thank you, hard work and many welded fingers but worth it!

Still not too sure if the petrol station will fit in the right hand corner, will have a play around when it arrives. Lots of vacuuming to do and painting and weathering but I'm happy how it's coming together

post-921-0-38628900-1462758871_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-18535600-1462758892_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-99213000-1462758912_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
Eurostar25

Not too much to report, just tidying up fence lines, catenary poles, a bit of weathering.

Still waiting to add road markings, vehicles, people, the gas station and then a light weathering of the viaduct.

Dr yellow was out testing clearances

post-921-0-68095400-1463201869_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-98143500-1463201896_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
serotta1972

Once you're done with your modules Eurostar25, I would like to commission you to build my dream layout and I will pay you with trains.  :)

Magnificent work!  

Nice! Thank you for sharing! Now you need to add some people to the town! The shrine looks great by the way!  :)

Eurostar25

Found out the kobaru road transfers need a surface as smooth as silk to attach themselves to. What I thought was a smooth surface - my plywood surface road turns out its rougher than sandpaper. Don't think the transfers will last too long. Lesson learnt! What peeled off, however can be covered by vehicles. Will add photos soon

Edited by Eurostar25

Eurostar,

yep that can be an issue with rub offs. if you dont have some good burnisher you might try something like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Nail-Art-Dotting-Pen-Marbleizing-Paint-Tool-Kit-Set-Manicure-Painting-2-Way-/131692307839?hash=item1ea979257f:g:~RsAAOSwZG9WijgC

helps to have a nice little hard round surface to really rub rub rub with to make sure its stuck down as best as possible before pulling up the backing. then a squirt of dull clear coat on it will help fix it down to the road and help keep any from popping off later.

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

Found out the kobaru road transfers need a surface as smooth as silk to attach themselves to. What I thought was a smooth surface - my plywood surface road turns out its rougher than sandpaper. Don't think the transfers will last too long. Lesson learnt! What peeled off, however can be covered by vehicles. Will add photos soon

For the record, they stick fine to foamboard painted with lightly diluted acrylic; so far transfers from varying manufacturers and thin masking-tape style of lining stick fine; the green "pavement" on the right here is a Kobaru transfer and has been down for at least 3 months:

gallery_1206_165_113949.jpg

• Like 2
Eurostar25

Thanks for the comments, where do you guys buy the pin stripe tape from?

I'm thinking this might be the best bet for my long white lines that I'm looking at doing, the yellow transfers were a mission to keep straight during the application process with some bits adhering while other lengths didn't.

Eurostar25

So I'm pretty happy that this module was finished this morning, it captures the feel I was looking for, mainly the large shrine where we got married and also the busy gas works behind. I don't happen to have the N700 that was zooming past, but the 700 series can substitute.

Hideous close up shots show some of the work could've been tidier but I'm not so worried about it from a distance. 

I've attach a few photos also with the photo I was originally trying to emulate. The expression on my wife's face is pretty close to what I remember seeing on the day - there wasn't an emoiji for the shaking head after the request to get a photo with the Shinkansen going past however.

This module doesn't connect to any others at the moment, it will connect to the other half of the Tokuyama station scene (yet to be built)

post-921-0-13829300-1464129326_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-51496000-1464129342_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-33788200-1464129363_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-16087800-1464129392_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-23088400-1464129425_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-28497400-1464129457_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-74250100-1464129492_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-02715100-1464129518_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-75884500-1464129588_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-74881700-1464129627_thumb.jpg

• Like 14